Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Communications and Internet Access (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/43-communications-internet-access/)
-   -   TV via the net. (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/43-communications-internet-access/240323-tv-via-net.html)

raynipper 09-12-2020 08:43

TV via the net.

We have had 'smart' TVs since 2007 and the latest one bought 2013.
Several times I have tried to connect them to the net to 'enjoy' what others keep telling me about and several times I have failed and just given up and made a cup of tea. Once again I tried today and went round in ever decreasing circles until I could not get out of a menu and had to turn the TV off and restart again to get back to the very easy one button 200 channels again.

But as usual what everyone says is easy and "All you have to do is" never quite works for me. I can actually get it to connect to a wireless repeater and have actually accessed a website using the remote to input my AOL page but no further. I have a 'Youtube' icon that never gets to anything recognisable and just goes round and round. There are a few other icons or probably apps installed showing on the setup screen but only weather which does nothing and France24 news which again only shows a still page.

As getting nowhere usually takes me 30 to 40 minutes and results in tutting from hid to get back to the one button control you can see why I give up easily. It was Barry indicating a good film that I didn't want to spend 90 mins viewing on the monitor that tickled my interest again today.

Any 'simple' ideas where I'm going wrong? The TV is a Sharp Aquos 70".

Ray.

barryd 09-12-2020 08:55

When you accessed your AOL page did it actually bring anything up? Did you see your emails etc?

Sounds to me like its maybe a poor signal. How far is it from the wifi access point? Can you connect directly to the router rather than going through an extender? Is the password you put in the same for the extender as it is the router? Can you connect to the extender or the router with an ethernet cable rather than using wifi?

Some other ideas here

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...4dUDCA0&uact=5

Drew 09-12-2020 09:04

I had the same problem Ray, on WiFi it was a nightmare. In the end I bought a Devolo WiFi adaptor, not cheap but it cured the problem.

erneboy 09-12-2020 09:05

Look in YouTube for how to do it with you make and model Ray.

I know you think a 2013 TV is practically new, but it will be well out of date and probably lacks functions and the latest connectivity tweaks and apps for watching telly. You may be able to add apps if you need to but manufacturers seem to want to dictate what you can and can't have.

Getting any TV connected can be tedious and frustrating. Stick with it or get a child to do it is my advice.

eurajohn 09-12-2020 09:06

Another possibility for your problem Ray is that you will only get access to anything allowed in the country / region you are in unless you find a way of utilising a VPN.

raynipper 09-12-2020 09:08

1 Attachment(s)
I knew I could count on you Baz.
No the AOL page showed very little other than the search bar and no text but it was the only website address I could remember at the time.
TV is in lounge other side of 2' solid concrete wall. The extender is showing a 5bar signal and is placed bang under the TV or 6" from the TV dongle.
To use an ethernet cable would be very inconvenient across 4m office through doorway and another 4m to TV in lounge.
No password as I keep everything open.

You can just see through the office door printer, desk, monitor on right and TV on left.

Ray.

raynipper 09-12-2020 09:13

I will read your link later thank Baz.
Might come to that Drew thanks.
Alan I will try and explain that to hid and opt for a new 85" TV.?
Not yet John, I do have a good VPN to fall back on if required.

I think more research at leisure into the problem online is another option but time consuming.

Ray.

erneboy 09-12-2020 09:21

You could look on YouTube first Ray.

raynipper 09-12-2020 09:27

Yes you are right Alan and will get round to it soon. But now TV is back in the boss's hands I will take my time researching and mulling over my options.
I have just ordered a Roku stick and will play with that on another 'smart' TV in my office. I was planning on taking it to Portugal if we are allowed to go.

It's been going on now for a few years as it's not an urgent 'need' so will report on results in time.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Ray.

barryd 09-12-2020 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by raynipper (Post 3126725)
I knew I could count on you Baz.
No the AOL page showed very little other than the search bar and no text but it was the only website address I could remember at the time.
TV is in lounge other side of 2' solid concrete wall. The extender is showing a 5bar signal and is placed bang under the TV or 6" from the TV dongle.
To use an ethernet cable would be very inconvenient across 4m office through doorway and another 4m to TV in lounge.
No password as I keep everything open.

You can just see through the office door printer, desk, monitor on right and TV on left.

Ray.

So the extender is right under the TV and has five bars. Can you connect a laptop, phone etc to that extender in the same room and does it work on the internet? Is the router in that office we can see to the right? Are you able to see the actual router in available networks on the TV wifi setup and if so have you tried connecting to it rather than the extender. I know you are a fan of these extenders but I know from experience they can be a nightmare. It could be some protocol issue the TV has with the extender or maybe the extender just isnt working. A good test would be if you could connect the TV directly to the routers wifi. Another option is to use ethernet extenders rather than wifi but first you would have to prove that the TV connects ok to the router with a cable.

There were a few videos in that link i gave you.

Mind you if that Roku stick works, problem solved really.