TV via the net. - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-12-2020, 11:05 Thread Starter

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Sadly Dick your confusing me.
My smart phone will use much of it's data I'm sure watching TV. Freesat and Freeview are all 'free' and instantly accessible with one button on the remote.
Also when in Portugal my data goes down from 20GB in France to 2GB outside France.
As the Roku should arrive today it would mean ordering a Chromecast dongle which would arrive after we have left. I seem to have read that the Roku has a better selection of media than Chrome which is limited to their own stuff.

Still not sure what you mean about casting from anywhere in the house. I guess if I'm using a PC it needs internet access just as the Roku or Chromecast would. It's gotta come from somewhere.
But this is what I mean about convenience. Our TV remote is one click on/off/ and Channels. Messing about with PCs and phones and casting sounds like something we would give up on and go make a cuppa.

Yes John, I'm looking for simplicity as hid likes channelhopping and if she has to call me to 'fiddle' it will soon be discarded.

Ray.
patp likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Last edited by raynipper; 14-12-2020 at 11:07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-12-2020, 11:51

We haven't even got a smart phone

Not strictly true because Chris has recently got a camera drone, so that he can help look for lost dogs that have gone native in the countryside. It needs a smartphone so a friend gave us an iphone 6 which works for using the drone. We are going to be brave and buy a pay as you go vodaphone (it is locked) sim. If it works we will play with it and then may get it unlocked so that we can try O2 which is supposed to have a better signal round here. Who knows what will happen once we are smart?!
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-12-2020, 12:10 Thread Starter

Welcome to the 'minefield' Pat.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-12-2020, 13:06

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,014 Posts
Personal Aire
I think if you were going to "cast" off your phone Ray you would be connected to wifi not using your data allowance. Dont bother though. Just get the Roku set up. Looks fairly easy. Just plug it in to the HDMI port on the TV, hit source on the normal TV remote and find the HDMI Port. To go back to normal TV you would just hit source again and select TV or freesat or whatever its normally on.

Instructions here. Looks like you create an account also on your laptop or PC

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-12-2020, 15:36 Thread Starter

Oh boy Baz, what an annoying hour or so.
Plugged the Roku unit in and as requested added a credit card?? Only to be used to add pay channels. But don't worry as there are plenty of free ones? Oh yeah, try and find the free ones.
In the end succumbed at tried to sign up and pay for the basic Netflix at €7.99. Suddenly I'm billed for the premium at €14.99. Bugger that as I don't know if I want Netflix let alone their premium and more expensive.
So on the phone to India for an hour to try and cancel. Yes you can cancel but the first months debit is already taken. Big argument to get it back and in the end succumbed to the basic account at €7.99. So I am now committed to bluddy Netflix for at least a month. I don't want films but live UK TV when in Portugal.

Bugger about looking at hundreds of options and finally see a "United Kingdom Entertainment" channel/option/icon at only £1.59 a month. So go for that and instantly pay the first month.

If it actually does work and we can access all UK TV live channels it will be worth it but what a palaver. I'm pissed to say the least.

Ray.

post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-12-2020, 16:04

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Oh boy Baz, what an annoying hour or so.
Plugged the Roku unit in and as requested added a credit card?? Only to be used to add pay channels. But don't worry as there are plenty of free ones? Oh yeah, try and find the free ones.
In the end succumbed at tried to sign up and pay for the basic Netflix at €7.99. Suddenly I'm billed for the premium at €14.99. Bugger that as I don't know if I want Netflix let alone their premium and more expensive.
So on the phone to India for an hour to try and cancel. Yes you can cancel but the first months debit is already taken. Big argument to get it back and in the end succumbed to the basic account at €7.99. So I am now committed to bluddy Netflix for at least a month. I don't want films but live UK TV when in Portugal.

Bugger about looking at hundreds of options and finally see a "United Kingdom Entertainment" channel/option/icon at only £1.59 a month. So go for that and instantly pay the first month.

If it actually does work and we can access all UK TV live channels it will be worth it but what a palaver. I'm pissed to say the least.

Ray.

I'm following this with great interest Ray. I know nothing about it really. We have smart tellys and do watch streaming from Amazon and so on using the apps on them. I don't really see that a stick gets us much more.

Though, if I could get live UK telly from a stick I'd probably want that. My understanding, limited as it is, is that they don't offer live UK telly. Am I wrong about that?
patp likes this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-12-2020, 16:40

Our, British, campsite neighbour when we were in Spain last winter had an Amazon firestick and used to watch all the soaps.
erneboy likes this.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-12-2020, 16:45

My Motorhome: I drive...autoroller
Never mind part of your Netflix supscription will be used to support a British/American couple trying to make a living in the USA
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-12-2020, 17:13 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
I'm following this with great interest Ray. I know nothing about it really. We have smart tellys and do watch streaming from Amazon and so on using the apps on them. I don't really see that a stick gets us much more.

Though, if I could get live UK telly from a stick I'd probably want that. My understanding, limited as it is, is that they don't offer live UK telly. Am I wrong about that?
So far Alan this United Kingdom Entertainment works well. Can't find a schedule but selecting any Freeview channels works fine.
If this is the case in Portugal it's worth the €1.59 monthly subs.

Ray.
erneboy and patp like this.

post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 14-12-2020, 17:57

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,014 Posts
Personal Aire
Well maybe you just need that then, the UK channels thing. I thought there was just loads of free stuff though. I dont have one so cant really help on the channels but at least you got it working. So does the uK channels subscription give you bbc1 itv1 etc? Its supposed to be able to access iplayer, itv hub etc but I think you might have to subscribe to a VPN for that which you can do on a Roku apparently https://www.purevpn.com/bbc-iplayer-...ide%20the%20UK.
patp and raynipper like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page