4g & WiFi Antenna with DB gain for max range? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 20-09-2020, 22:26 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
4g & WiFi Antenna with DB gain for max range?

So have been looking at a few options for this - Looking to get as much gain as legally allowed in the UK, both for 4g and WiFi. Don't need 5g.

Wondering whether to go with motorhomewifi.com or another MIMO type antenna.

Also, seems a shame to need 2 antennas (one for WiFi, one for 4g) - Wondering if anyone knew of any that are 2 in 1?

Anybody have experience of this, and range (for WiFi), and signal boost (4g data/call).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-09-2020, 07:39

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Several of us have antennas from motorhomewifi.com and find them very useful. I'd recommend buying from them.

4g may be a different thing. We have very bad phone signal here I have asked about antennas and boosters and opinion seems to vary. I think they may be snake oil. Let's see what other replies you get.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-09-2020, 22:06

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
What actually is Wi-Fi on the go?

I have a mifi which uses a sim card and mobile signal (4g) which I refer to as my Wi-Fi - but it obviously isn't.

Can someone enlighten me please?

Jean

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-09-2020, 00:03

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Re WIFI although omni directional antenna are available and work, you will get much better results and higher gain using a directional one. I have an Alfa one at the moment that coupled with an Alfa r36 will create your own internal network. It gives me full broadband speed 250 yds from my home to where I park the van. The r36 also has provision for a sim card if you want.

Dick
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-09-2020, 06:40

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
That leaves more questions than answers Dick.
So are you extending your home Wi-Fi with an Alfa? Does the r36 radiate from a base unit? What gets used when away from home?

I find my phone is so much faster on any house Wi-Fi than the 5G mobile signal. Takes ages to load and play videos when away from Wi-Fi.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-09-2020, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
That leaves more questions than answers Dick.
So are you extending your home Wi-Fi with an Alfa? Does the r36 radiate from a base unit? What gets used when away from home?

I find my phone is so much faster on any house Wi-Fi than the 5G mobile signal. Takes ages to load and play videos when away from Wi-Fi.

Ray.
No Ray. I have fibre broadband in the house but no wifi in the van when it at home. It is too far away for any device (PC, phone, tablet) to pick up the signal from the house. If I am working in it and want to listen to BBC sounds I just point my Alfa antenna in the direction of the house and it picks up the house wifi. The antenna (just outside the van) is plugged into a r36 (inside the van) and that acts as a base unit in the van giving an independent wireless network inside the van. The setup will pick up line of sight wifi from up to half a mile away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Glandwr For This Useful Post:
raynipper (22-09-2020)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-09-2020, 10:07

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Ahhhhh thanks Dick. Yep see what you mean now.
I use a powerline extender to motorhome barn and a Netgear wireless modem to let visiting campers pick up my meagre 6mbps adsl out on our land.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-09-2020, 13:18

So do you pick up WiFi AWAY from home? If so, who's WiFi?

I have a FON at home which used to allow me to access BT WiFi hotspot but apparently that contract was not renewed earlier this year - which explains why there have been so few available FON hotpots on my travels.

Jean
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-09-2020, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
So do you pick up WiFi AWAY from home? If so, who's WiFi?

I have a FON at home which used to allow me to access BT WiFi hotspot but apparently that contract was not renewed earlier this year - which explains why there have been so few available FON hotpots on my travels.

Plenty of FON's abroad. Others sources are resturants, cafes, bars, hotels etc MacDonalds in France for instance has free wifi in all its outlets. Many of them are open, if not pop in with a tablet buy a drink and ask for their password. Also campsites, many campsitrs across europe have fairly basic wifi available in certain parts only! With my setup you can get it at the other end of the site.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-09-2020, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glandwr View Post
Plenty of FON's abroad. Others sources are resturants, cafes, bars, hotels etc MacDonalds in France for instance has free wifi in all its outlets. Many of them are open, if not pop in with a tablet buy a drink and ask for their password. Also campsites, many campsitrs across europe have fairly basic wifi available in certain parts only! With my setup you can get it at the other end of the site.
There seemed to be far fewer FON spots last autumn. Certainly in Ireland this autumn they're very few n far between.

I remember doing all the McDonald's etc when we 1st started MHing abroad n I don't really want to go back to that! And I very seldom use campsites.

I remember having a rather large empty container that was some sort of extender that had to plug into the laptop - does yours?

There's no doubt about it, the mifi is a lot more convenient - but sometimes the signal is pants.

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page