4g & WiFi Antenna with DB gain for max range? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-09-2020, 18:40

My Motorhome: Adria Coral 690SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
What actually is Wi-Fi on the go?

I have a mifi which uses a sim card and mobile signal (4g) which I refer to as my Wi-Fi - but it obviously isn't.

Can someone enlighten me please?
To answer your question................ Mi Fi is the Sim card in say a Huawei device and mobile signal say from 3

Wi Fi is taking the signal from campsite Wi Fi (or Fon)........we have a cheap aerial that plugs into the USB on laptop and boosts

signal from any nearby free/paid for campsite wi fi. Point it at reception and there's usually a signal.

When abroad it's great for any overnight downloading rather than using any limits on you sim card.

Peter and Carmel

Spooky travelled with us for 5 years and over 20,000 miles.He died aged 11 and is buried in Delphi in Greece.
Now that's a great age and a great adventure for a rabbit and I think he deserves a mention.

The best things in Life...........................are not Things !!

Life is really, really great …...........sometimes it's a bit sh*t............and then you die !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-09-2020, 21:12

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Thanks webby - as I thought.

Jean
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-09-2020, 22:14

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Quote:
There seemed to be far fewer FON spots last autumn. Certainly in Ireland this autumn they're very few n far between.

I remember doing all the McDonald's etc when we 1st started MHing abroad n I don't really want to go back to that! And I very seldom use campsites.

I remember having a rather large empty container that was some sort of extender that had to plug into the laptop - does yours?

There's no doubt about it, the mifi is a lot more convenient - but sometimes the signal is pants.
The r36 is a sort of wireless modem, your "empty box" plugs into that (USB). So instead of just one laptop online you can have up to 5 different device connected at any one time. I leave the r36 on most of the time as the electrical drain is minimal.

https://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/alfa...SABEgLD9_D_BwE
raynipper likes this.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-09-2020, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glandwr View Post
The r36 is a sort of wireless modem, your "empty box" plugs into that (USB). So instead of just one laptop online you can have up to 5 different device connected at any one time. I leave the r36 on most of the time as the electrical drain is minimal.

https://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/alfa...SABEgLD9_D_BwE
Thanks for that. Sorry, I'm being a bit of a dinosaur here but I still don't understand.

The bumf says "2.4GHz USB Router: add an ALFA WiFI USB device or mobile 3G dongle to create your own hotspot from a distant source."

My MiFi already can support multiple connections (tho hardly ever needed as there's just me!) Is this saying that the r36a will improve the mobile signal to the mifi? That's really what I would need I think.

Also, regarding the distant WiFi - you also need a directional or non-directional antenna along with the r36a - that antenna it has isn't sufficient?

Jean
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-09-2020, 13:18

Ah, having posted that I'm now thinking the r36a is BETWEEN the mifi and the user?

Jean
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-09-2020, 14:29

Quote:
Thanks for that. Sorry, I'm being a bit of a dinosaur here but I still don't understand.

The bumf says "2.4GHz USB Router: add an ALFA WiFI USB device or mobile 3G dongle to create your own hotspot from a distant source."

My MiFi already can support multiple connections (tho hardly ever needed as there's just me!) Is this saying that the r36a will improve the mobile signal to the mifi? That's really what I would need I think.

Also, regarding the distant WiFi - you also need a directional or non-directional antenna along with the r36a - that antenna it has isn't sufficient?
Hope this helps Jean

One of the functions of the r36 is to act as a mifi when you put a sim card into it. It won't amplfy the signal 3/4G signal.

The antenna that you see on it are to transmit the wireless signal.
The most common use of the r36 though is to amplfy wifi signals and broadcast them in a hotspot using an antenna (normally outside the van or mounted on the roof) that connects to it using a USB cable.

Wifi sources that you can't even see on your phone or PC can be made strong and fast,
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-09-2020, 14:40

To amplfy 3/4g signals in weak aeras I use one of these Jean again with antenna from the roof plugged into it. You insert a sim card into it as you would into your mifi, and use it instead of your mifi.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/2020-4G-Unl...a-849694995529
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-09-2020, 23:28

Thanks very much for all that info - I now understand what's what!

Jean
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 25-09-2020, 00:00

My Motorhome: Hymer Classic B584
My thinking is any WI-FI signal away from home is barely worth the trouble. Put your money into 4G (or 5G now) tech and data plans. The motorhome WI-FI ones seem good, but you can buy the same antenna yourself. They just package it up with a few extra bits to make fitting simpler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page