Paying to retain an old email address - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Glandwr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-07-2020, 11:16 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Swift Lifestyle 590RS
Send a message via MSN to Pat-H
Paying to retain an old email address

Now this doesn't impact me as decades ago I realised how daft it was having an email address tied to my ISP and just registered my own domain name.

But just reading of people who use an ISP like BT or sky and get a BT or, Sky email address.
That's a fine but the issue is years later when they switch ISP they have to change email address and update all this services and friends to update.
So people chose to retain the old email service but are grumbling at paying for that service.
All my families email accounts are now office 365 accounts and cost around £4 each per month.
But these people look like they are charging £7 or more per month. Now it's a free market but of course once with them you are over a barrel.
I won't use Gmail or Hotmail accounts. Too easy a hacker target and frequently breached. They also look naff.
To me email is important so I pay to have the service I need.
Curious if others have issues with this?

BBC News - Email charges: 'They've got you over a barrel'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53442244

Pat

Now just waiting until we decide to rejoin.
Happy to actively support Black Lives Matter because all lives do matter even black ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-07-2020, 11:25

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Topic close to my head at the moment.
Although I am happy with my AOL (free) service I always feel happy when I have another 'string' to my bow and keep a Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo address as well.
But just recently downloaded the free emclient software that I had many years ago and is very flexible and versatile. But now have trouble resurrecting my old account or creating a new one.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-07-2020, 13:17 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Swift Lifestyle 590RS
Send a message via MSN to Pat-H
Registering and retaining a domain name isn't expensive nowadays and you can hook that up to any email hosting solution.
I've used a number in the past but now office 365 is so cheap I use that.
Every family member has a sensible email of their first name @ our surname. Org.uk
And they can create as many aliases as they like (so formal for job interviews and informal for friends)

Pat

Now just waiting until we decide to rejoin.
Happy to actively support Black Lives Matter because all lives do matter even black ones.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-07-2020, 21:03

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
My main one is the AOL one that I've had since they were my old dialup ISP in the 90s. I've had 3 ISPs since BT, Plusnet and John Lewis. BT wanted annual subs so I junked that one the other 2 are still working but I still mainly use the AOL one. They haven't asked for any money since I changed from them as my ISP some 15 years ago. I get a shed load of adverts though when I check my emails.

Part of the reason I kept the aol one is in the very early days I was able to get [email protected][/email]
raynipper likes this.

Last edited by Glandwr; 19-07-2020 at 21:08.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 20-07-2020, 12:01

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,157 Times in 1,003 Posts
Personal Aire
I Dont see why anyone would be in such a panic over retaining a BT email address anyway. Presumably its likely its a personal one and not used for business so just get a new one and email all your contacts. Bit of a PIA to update all your logins etc but you either do that or pay for the service.

I also use 365 (well the hosted exchange element) and have had a business domain name and email for nearly twenty years. I have loads of other gmail addresses though. Always useful for stuff like comparison sites or anything where they are likely to pester you with spam. BT are one of the worst for breaches by the way.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 20-07-2020, 14:06

I've had my main email from my own .co.uk domain for over 20 years. I have changed isp several times, twice since being in France. I use a separate Gmail account to manage and filter spam from it. The Gmail name is invisible to people I post to. I also had other domains for different websites and they all worked seamlessly from my same Gmail account.

I may have a problem in future since the release of .uk domains. I decided I would not pay double to include the .uk so I might have some confusion later.

Paul
Founder of SillyLeaks
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 20-07-2020, 21:05

Many moons ago when hotmail released .co.uk emails I got my name.... (not going to put it here so I can get spammed to death.)...but no extra numbers or characters just [email protected]

Also use a few others and some Gmail. All as safe as your password and lets them deal with any attached virus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page