Have you registered for Emergency text? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 3 Post By jiwawa
  • 1 Post By baldlygo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 27-08-2019, 22:20 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Have you registered for Emergency text?

My son and I were discussing the tracker on my MH - he can call or text the sim in the tracker and know where it is. However, he said 'That doesn't tell me where you are, if you've gone out walking or cycling and maybe had an accident.'

So we looked at the app what3words which has been mentioned on here before - it gives your current position (using GPS rather that WiFi or mobile signal) in the form of 3 words indicating a 3-metre square plot. It's not entirely accurate (not sure if that is due to poor satellite or to do with the phone) but it's certainly within an adjacent plot so emergency services should be able to find you.

In the process of investigating the app I discovered that you can send an SMS to 999 (or 112) BUT YOU NEED TO HAVE REGISTERED YOUR SIM IN ADVANCE. You could well be in a situation where there is enough of a signal to send a text but not to make a call.

You simply send the word register to.... and I would suggest you send it to 112 which will work throughout Europe. I sent it to 999, read the entire reply and responded 'yes' and was duly registered. I then tried to register with 112 and was informed that I was already registered with 999.

What I'm not sure of is - am I now registered with 112 across Europe?... I suspect I am but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I wanted to pass on the info - no good waiting till you're in an emergency situation.

There is also information in the link in the reply which would be of use to the hard-of-hearing, or those with other disabilities.
baldlygo, raynipper and GMLS like this.

Jean
The Following User Says Thank You to jiwawa For This Useful Post:
baldlygo (28-08-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 28-08-2019, 09:03

I think this is a brilliant way of identifying where you are. I'm glad to say that since I loaded it on my phone I have not needed it. Being in France and being a very poor French speaker it poses a bit of a puzzle. If I break down do I give the English 3 words or attempt to give the French 3 words? English to a French speaker or my French to a French speaker are very liable to send help to the wrong place

However sending a text in an emergency should solve my puzzle. I did not know that so thanks for mentioning it jiwawa

Paul
Founder of SillyLeaks
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 28-08-2019, 12:39

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Hope you have Google Translate on the phone Paul and you can speak and the translation comes out in French. Au cas où.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 28-08-2019, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Hope you have Google Translate on the phone Paul and you can speak and the translation comes out in French. Au cas où.

Ray.
I have two problems with that Ray.

1. Each location has 3 English words, 3 French words, 3 German words etc etc. For each country the words are completely different and in no way translate between languages. So any translated location (if it exists at all) is definitely going to be somewhere else

2. Even if you recognise the French words (3 in a row is pushing it for me) it is the pronunciation which really counts. How many times have we said the correct French word for it to be completely misunderstood.

An example is when we were told a French neighbour was born in Picardy. To make conversation I said we had heard a folk group from Picardy. Blank face. Said Picardy again. Same blank face. Said it again louder - still blank face. After two more attempts the friend eventually said aahh Pee-car-dee. And that was just one word. If I was broken down on a motorway or stuck in the remote countryside I wouldn't fancy giving 3 French words
raynipper likes this.

Paul
Founder of SillyLeaks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 28-08-2019, 13:56

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yep, see what you mean. Bugger innit.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 28-08-2019, 17:25

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Jean has explained how one registers one's Sim.

What I not clear about is what SMS one sends to emergency services when necessary. Is it just the type of emergency? Can they then pick up the location from the Sim and App or does one have to type in the 3 words, if one can find them with a broken ar?.

Am I being stupid? I would rather be that no, instead of on a cliff face.

On which server is the Sim information stored and which authorities have access? I am not sure I want Messrs Putin, Erdogan and the like to have it.

Geoff

Last edited by nicholsong; 28-08-2019 at 17:28.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 28-08-2019, 22:34 Thread Starter

I don't know which servers store the info.

Some UK police forces are using the app and so if you send a text they can directly translate to the location.

If you don't have the app or can't use it send something like:

Urgent. Police, ambulance required. Road accident. 4 people injured.

Plus the location if you know it, tho I think they can get info from your sim.

Jean
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 29-08-2019, 15:33

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
What3words can ONLY identify your location, why would you think it can do anything else?

Police forces ambulance services certainly do use it but only to identify where you are. If you don’t have it installed on your phone they can send you a link to download the app if you call them, so you can THEN tell them where you are.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

Last edited by Mrplodd; 29-08-2019 at 15:38.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 29-08-2019, 18:44 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
What3words can ONLY identify your location, why would you think it can do anything else?
I don't. Was that addressed to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
Police forces ambulance services certainly do use it but only to identify where you are. If you don’t have it installed on your phone they can send you a link to download the app if you call them, so you can THEN tell them where you are.

Andy
You need a decent internet connection for that Andy. If you're far enough away from people who could help you, you could well be out of range of a decent signal. Maybe enough for it to work but not for it to download.

But sending a text will work without *any* internet.

Seemed a good idea to me to be forearmed.

Jean
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 07:40

Don't have a smart phone so the three words app is no good to me. The text might be helpful though?!

When Chris had a heart attack in 2013, we were parked in a field in the middle of Berkshire at a Whippet racing event. There were no visible landmarks, just miles of countryside. Luckily, one of the other Whippet owners remembered the post code we had been given to find the field in the first place. Phew!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page