2Likes
  • 1 Post By barryd
  • 1 Post By fatbuddha

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 16:01 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: swift kontiki
Thumbs up Midi or iBoost ?

Good afternoon to one and all.
Apologies if this has been covered before but to save me trawling endless forums I wondered if someone could point me in the right direction.
I am shortly heading off to - hopefully sunny - Devon and Cornwall for a few weeks and would like to be able to use my phone and iPad whenever possible as this obviously helps keep an eye on forthcoming weather and choose the most suitable camping sites . Last year I struggled terribly with signal in a lot areas.
I wonder whether I would be better purchasing something like an iBoost to get a better WiFi signal (on site) , or simply buy a mifi data gadget and sim, but presumably this will be no improvement if the phone signal is not good ?
Anybody have experience of either in poor signal areas? Some guidance would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 31-05-2019, 19:50

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I've not ever been to Devon n Cornwall so can't help you there I'm afraid.

I have a mifi which hosts a 3 data sim and it's reasonably reliable in UK and abroad. Can't be more specific I'm afraid.

Jean
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 02:13

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
I have an iBoost for wifi and I use my phone as a hotspot which generally covers all bases. The trouble is if your somewhere out in the sticks and there is no mobile signal its often the case there is no wifi to lock onto either. Ive spent ages hunting down wifi hotspots with the iBoost which can be a bit of an art or probably a frustration to most. Best to have both I would say but I would say with data so cheap now your mifi or smartphone hot spot probably makes more sense these days.
HurricaneSmith likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 10:01

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
I have an iBoost for wifi and I use my phone as a hotspot which generally covers all bases. The trouble is if your somewhere out in the sticks and there is no mobile signal its often the case there is no wifi to lock onto either. Ive spent ages hunting down wifi hotspots with the iBoost which can be a bit of an art or probably a frustration to most. Best to have both I would say but I would say with data so cheap now your mifi or smartphone hot spot probably makes more sense these days.
cfuk me - I am going to agree with Barry on this! I have an iBoost but it's seen less frequency of use over the last year or so as my phone data package has given me much more data to use when at home or in Europe - and as he says, if there is no wifi signal to lock onto the iBoost won't help much but you can usually still get a reasonable 3G/4G signal in most places these days - enough to check weather/e-mail etc. I'll still use the iBoost if there's a good (free) wifi signal to pickup purely to save data, but most of the time I CBA to set it up.
barryd likes this.

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 13:11

My Motorhome: Burstner IXEO IT734
Bought a mifi recently and have a 10 5GB data only EE sim which allows me to gift data from my phone if it needs topping up. Also works the other way.

Only used it a few weekends so far but when placed on the roof of the moho it gets a better signal than my phone and allows multiple devices to be attached. Streamed an episode of Game of Thrones no problem in a poor signal area in the Forest of Dean

I am going into space in a vehicle made from over 3 million components, each manufactured by the lowst bidder - Neil Armstrong
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLS View Post
Bought a mifi recently and have a 10 5GB data only EE sim which allows me to gift data from my phone if it needs topping up. Also works the other way.
Does that sim expire after a month? That's generally the problem for me. I wouldn't use 5GB in a month so prefer something that would stay valid for a good while.

At the moment I've a 24GB 3 sim which lasts for 2 years. It won't last me 4hat long probably but close. I use it in conjunction with my normal giffgaff phone sim which has 3 (maybe now 4) GB/month (until they tell me I've been away too long!)

Jean
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 14:53

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
I have both but mostly use 4G/3G as I have a large data allowance on my phone and simply use it to set up a wifi hotspot. It's not often that I find myself with no signal but obviously there are places - especially in Devon and Cornwall!

All the networks publish coverage maps and I've found them useful in the past when I wanted to make sure that I had at least 2G. You can easily see where 3G and 4G coverage is and I've generally found the maps reliable.

Peter
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 17:16

I think you just have to wing it abroad tho Peter.

Jean
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 13:52

My Motorhome: Burstner IXEO IT734
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
Does that sim expire after a month? That's generally the problem for me. I wouldn't use 5GB in a month so prefer something that would stay valid for a good while.

At the moment I've a 24GB 3 sim which lasts for 2 years. It won't last me 4hat long probably but close. I use it in conjunction with my normal giffgaff phone sim which has 3 (maybe now 4) GB/month (until they tell me I've been away too long!)
Hi. Yes it expires each months but as we have 3nr EE phones in the family, the plan is to gift any unused data around

I am going into space in a vehicle made from over 3 million components, each manufactured by the lowst bidder - Neil Armstrong

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page