iPhone? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 28-06-2018, 09:53 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Bessacarr E725
iPhone?

My old Moto G is getting stodgy and slow. As I use a MacBook as my main pooter, I'm wondering whether to treat myself to an iPhone?

Am I daft? (not generally, I know the answer to that one, I mean thinking about spending megabucks on an iPhone)

If I do go for one, which should I get? I already have a package with Tesco Mobile, so looking to buy SIM-free rather than rent.

A friend recommended the 6S, but looking at the online blurb, maybe the 7 is more capable.

How much storage would I need, as I do take quite a lot of photos and leave them in the phone after copying elsewhere?

Any thoughts, lovely people, to impart to this technonumpty?

I'm daft and proud of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 28-06-2018, 10:04
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2012 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Also Tuggers: how clumsy are you?

My cheap phone fell out of my pocket the other day as I was getting in the car and slithered through the door aperture. This happened EXACTLY at the time I was shutting the door so it caught the screen!

Screen cracked! No problem thought I - buy a replacement screen off Ebay (c/w tools); watch a couple of Youtube vids and Robert is your mothers brother...so I thought!

4 days later: phone in pieces and the in bin and replacement phone ordered!

Luckily it was a cheap smart(is) phone!

Graham
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 28-06-2018, 10:12

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Yes replacing screens is a bit of a black art and there are loads of sellers flogging them to people like Graham who just end up chucking the bits in the bin.

Ive always used iPhones but the older ones and they have always been great. Im still using a 4s! I Dont want a big phone so it does me fine. They are so cheap now when I did a Graham and dropped my last one on a concrete floor and the screen cracked I got a replacement 4s off ebay for £20 and flogged the cracked one for £17!

6s and 7 of course are a lot more money. I personally just use mine for email, itunes music, occasional browsing of Fruitcakes and here and the odd google and the odd photo so I never felt the need to upgrade and just dont like the idea of a massive phone. So I guess it depends what you want it for Tuggers. Will a 7 do anything more for you than a 6? As for storage space like anything you can never have enough so always over estimate what you think you will need. For sure though if your buying used the older models are considerably cheaper and generally reliable.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 28-06-2018, 10:35 Thread Starter

Yo, Bazza, thanks for that.

There seem to be lots of 'refurbished' phones from the retailers. Are they to be trusted? I mean, they may be cosmetically perfect, but if the guts are well used might they start to go wrong sooner than a brand new one? Do they replace processors when they refurbish? I dunno.

Storage. It seems Apple replaced 16GB and 64GB with 32GB and then 128& 256GB. Which should I go for, as I have no concept of what those numbers mean in relation to actual use?

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 28-06-2018, 10:39

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
I have a 128Gb iPhone 7 - I have always used iPhones and never felt the need to switch to Android. quite simply they work - may not have some state of the art features of Android but they just chunter along doing more than most people actually need. I have the 128Gb version as I have lots of music on it for use in the motorhome.

my wife switched to Android some time ago, but she has become a bit peed off with it as it seems to want to upgrade apps or the OS version at the most inappropriate times - as you are using it. with iPhone, you choose when to do this. recently her Pixel developed a cracked screen - she knows not how - and it has stopped working completely so is off for a replacement under warranty but whether Google will honour it when they see the cracked screen is yet to be seen. if she has to buy a new phone (she is using her older Nexus 4 in the interim) she is thinking of switching back to iPhone.

fundamentally not much difference between iOS or Android but for me, iOS just works and works consistently without faff.

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 28-06-2018, 10:44

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Liz has a iPhone, and I find it terrible to use, having only one button is a nightmare and I just can't get on with it. I'm very firmly in the Android camp, I have an iPad, but I rarely use it except for the van.

I'm not anti apple, I just think, they are not the easiest to actually use.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 28-06-2018, 11:04 Thread Starter

What is the button for, Kev? Surely the phone is touch screen for most operations.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 28-06-2018, 11:05

I agree with Barry, I've had my 4s since new and am more than happy with it.

In answer to your question, if I was replacing it I would go for the SE with whatever memory you think that you would use. The SE's are the ideal size for a phone and have most of the features that the more expensive iPhones have.
tugboat and tugboat like this.

Loch Sloy
This I'll Defend

I would prefer to say that I am British rather than European.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 28-06-2018, 11:22

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
My old Moto G is getting stodgy and slow. As I use a MacBook as my main pooter, I'm wondering whether to treat myself to an iPhone?

Am I daft? (not generally, I know the answer to that one, I mean thinking about spending megabucks on an iPhone)

If I do go for one, which should I get? I already have a package with Tesco Mobile, so looking to buy SIM-free rather than rent.

A friend recommended the 6S, but looking at the online blurb, maybe the 7 is more capable.

How much storage would I need, as I do take quite a lot of photos and leave them in the phone after copying elsewhere?

Any thoughts, lovely people, to impart to this technonumpty?
Geoff recently got a 7 as a big birthday pressie, previously had a five, it works great the only downside i find is no earbud jack point, have just ordered a pair of Bluetooth buds ain't paying for the super expensive apple set.

As to memory go as big as you can afford is my thought.

Terry
tugboat and tugboat like this.

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Testiculi ad Brexitam
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 28-06-2018, 11:31

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
What is the button for, Kev? Surely the phone is touch screen for most operations.
Yes most stuff is, you need it to get into the phone at all, not everything is on the screen, they are a good phone Geoff, just not as intuitive to use, the Android stuff generally has three buttons, some electronic, my S5 has one physical button to basically wake it up, to the right of it is a back button, to the left is a all app button so you can scroll through open apps, and close some or all, the iPhone is less intuitive, iPad is the same, they do work really well, but the learning curve (for me) is quite steep), I never struggled with Android, regardless of make or age, that's another option of course, LOADS of makes, one basic OS, and loads of choice, with apple, less choice one make, and a few models.

Maybe talk to someone locally who has one who can let you mess with it, see if you can grasp it or not, before buying.

FB mentioned updates, you get the option to do this or ignore it till later, so not really a issue, and you do need to do the updates, both for the OS and the apps, as mostly they are making them more functional, also (might be wrong) iPhones are not alway expandable for memory, some don't even have a flash for the camera, in a lot of ways they are advanced, in others retarded, Android deffo has the largest following I think, but not by much, most phones are made in either Japan or China, China produces some very cheap but more than adequate android phones, names you never heard of, I've had a couple, and they were fine.

I'm still using my first Android, works as well as the day I got it, a samsung S2, I also have the S5, to be honest not much to choose between them except I can get 4g on the S5, the S5 is perhaps a bit faster to do stuff, but not much, S2 smaller too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMSUNG-G...AAAOSwzC9bLPc7

I have my old S5 on Ebay right now, the camera stopped working, but the rest is 100%

S2
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=us...hrome&ie=UTF-8
The Following User Says Thank You to Pudsey_Bear For This Useful Post:
tugboat (28-06-2018)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page