Roaming charges and the EU - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

155Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 15:22 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Roaming charges and the EU

UK tourists face mobile phone roaming charges post-Brexit, analysis says

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...y_to_clipboard

I suppose that it will mean that we would only have to buy one foreign sim though

Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 16:25

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glandwr View Post
UK tourists face mobile phone roaming charges post-Brexit, analysis says

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...y_to_clipboard

I suppose that it will mean that we would only have to buy one foreign sim though

Dick
that's assuming of course that as a non-EU national after Brexit that they will a) allow you to buy one, and b) they don't penalise you for not being a a EU member. and what happens during the interim period as the new policy comes into effect in June??

frankly, it's yet another reason why Brexit is a pile of nonsense
Glandwr, Glandwr, Penquin and 5 others like this.

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........
post #3 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 16:27

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Wait till all the other unintended consequences come pouring out. I think phone calls will be a small consideration before we're done.
gaspode, gaspode, Glandwr and 15 others like this.

post #4 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 16:33 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Well I will certainly keeping my Greek Wind card topped ou to stop it expiring. Put 10 gig on it (in anticipation of the 6 nations last week) cost me 30€ pay as you go.4g good enough to stream live tele

Dick
Penquin and Penquin like this.

Last edited by Glandwr; 06-02-2017 at 16:38.
post #5 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 16:34

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
Wait till all the other unintended consequences come pouring out. I think phone calls will be a small consideration before we're done.
I agree but small in absolute terms is likely to be big in consumers minds as this directly affects people's pockets when they go on their Euro hols - assuming all those who voted Leave still want to go to Europe and mix with Jonny Foreigner.......
erneboy, erneboy, greygit and 3 others like this.

and the Lord said unto John "come forth and receive eternal life". but John came fifth and won a toaster........
post #6 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 16:40

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
and it is exactly what was said before the referendum as the EU ban on roaming charges had just come into effect.

but the brexit supporters pooh-poohed the suggestion as 'Project Fear' or scaremongering.....

They ALWAYS KNOW BEST AND KNOW IT ALL - they must all be teenagers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuddha View Post
when they go on their Euro hols - assuming all those who voted Leave still want to go to Europe and mix with Jonny Foreigner.......
This year we have had ONE inquiry and booking for our gite in spite of increased advertising, other owners are saying exactly the same; Brits are not going overseas because it is now too expensive with the being so valueless and with children not being allowed to be taken out of school. Normally by now at least half of the weeks over the summer had been booked and we would have one or two out of school holiday adult only bookings. NONE THIS YEAR, although the gite prices are lower than they have ever been.

Sadly, for us, that means our income has dropped still further and it is unlikely that we will be able to continue....... so at present it is looking increasingly likely that our property will be up for sale at a knock down price and we will have to move back to the UK into rented accommodation.

Thank you very much Brexit liars.

Dave
greygit, greygit, CurlyBoy and 5 others like this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Last edited by Penquin; 06-02-2017 at 16:50.
post #7 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 18:17

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post

This year we have had ONE inquiry and booking for our gite in spite of increased advertising, other owners are saying exactly the same; Brits are not going overseas because it is now too expensive with the being so valueless and with children not being allowed to be taken out of school. Normally by now at least half of the weeks over the summer had been booked and we would have one or two out of school holiday adult only bookings. NONE THIS YEAR, although the gite prices are lower than they have ever been.

Dave
Dave, I know absolutely nothing about the hiring out of Gites within the EU but surely there are 27 other countries within the EU for your customers to come from? I am flying to Malta next month for a week and that is within the EU as are Germany, France and Spain where I intend spending at least a month in each this year. I wonder if we will be welcomed with open arms? Ray
fifthwheel and fifthwheel like this.
post #8 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 18:30

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
To do that successfully you have to advertise in multiple languages Ray. You are then left with the likelihood of not being able to talk to guests, even about the basics of occupation, abd you can't answer any emailed enquiries without outside help. We have the same problems with holiday lets. It's easier and normally sufficient to advertise where you will get a UK audience.

You are right that more opportunities arise if you advertise internationally but it has many difficulties and complications, especially for a small enterprise.

If you can get enough business from people who share your language it's much easier all round. If you advertise in other countries you'll have to do it in German, Italian, Spanish etc. and if you do that you'll be expected to be able to communicate in those languages.
Penquin and Penquin like this.

Last edited by erneboy; 06-02-2017 at 18:33.
post #9 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 18:45

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
We can already cope with

English (just about), Australian, New Zealand, American (partially), Canadian, French, German, Italian, some Russian and some Turkish as my wife and locally based daughter can speak those ones.

BUT the requirements for different nationalities are very different; we have let to French, Dutch (lovely family), Australian, Spanish and English over the past 4 years.....

The problem is getting the visitors in the first place....

Dave
erneboy and erneboy like this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #10 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 18:50

My Motorhome: Auto-Sleeper EK TB LP
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
and it is exactly what was said before the referendum as the EU ban on roaming charges had just come into effect.

They ALWAYS KNOW BEST AND KNOW IT ALL - they must all be teenagers....

Dave
And there was me thinking Brexit was blamed on the Oldies, Brexit was derived from across all ages, blame the oldies and if that does not work blame it on the youngsters and if that does not work blame it on the plebs, who else do you want to blame?
GEMMY, GEMMY, iandsm and 7 others like this.

Barry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page