Roaming charges and the EU - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

155Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 236 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 16:52

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Let's hope they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 236 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 17:00

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048 A class
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
I came onto this thread to find out what the 'Roaming Charges' might become.

But sadly I find that a lot of the posts have been turned into a Brexit discussion by certain persons.

I am in no way immune from the effects of Brexit, either now in terms of exchange rate(for 90% of yearly living costs in our case - not just holidays), and more importantly for me, in terms of whether I/We can live where I/We want.

However, I do not wish to bring up the discussion on multiple threads, especially as some subjects are only marginally affected by Brexit, and maybe not for some time to come and only when there are more facts available.

Geoff
Yes it was sad to see this thread turned into a Brexit discussion, but surely you don't expect readers not to defend themselves or put an alternative point of view when so strongly criticised as in "always right, teenagers, liars" even if it does mean that to do so they must go off the original topic.
post #43 of 236 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 17:17 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggie View Post
So who is going to say that deals such as 3's 'Feel at Home' will end just because of Brexit?
That is not comparable. 3 give you an opportunity to use a modern 4g data network abroad for a substandard and slow 2g service that is restrictive and limited in time.

Dick
Penquin and Penquin like this.

post #44 of 236 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 17:43

My Motorhome: A big black & white one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glandwr View Post
That is not comparable. 3 give you an opportunity to use a modern 4g data network abroad for a substandard and slow 2g service that is restrictive and limited in time.

Dick
Partly true, but it certainly isn't a 2G connection. I have had perfectly good H+ connections abroad (in every country I have been to that has 'Feel at Home').

For your information H+ is a minimum of 5 levels of download speed higher than 2G, and can be as much as 9 levels of download speed higher, and is only one level down from 4G.

Also, although not directly comparable the service is more than adequate for more than 95% of UK citizens travelling to Europe for their annual holidays. Anyone else that spends more time there should maybe consider local SIM's or multiple UK SIMs? You can always link your mobile number to apps such as Skype, Viber, Facebook or WhatsUp to receive/make voice calls to friends and family
post #45 of 236 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 22:10

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThingsKev View Post
I'm currently paying £28 for 24Gb on a 3 payg data sim valid for 2 years; that's half the capped price that the EU is legislating for in 5 years time. (in fact it is probably cheaper than my home broadband and it's 10x faster too).
Kev, can you point me to that sim please?

I thought I was doing well with 12GB that lasted a year, paying not much less that your £28. It's the timeframe that I found restrictive - it's about to run out and I still have about 7GB on it!

Jean
post #46 of 236 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 22:48

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,043 Posts
Personal Aire
Yes I am sure there will be ways of farting about with sims or limited and throttled data sims etc. Thats what most of us have been doing for years. It is however extremely frustrating and annoying. No big deal for most of you I am sure but just when we were on the brink of the EU flattening charges EU wide. It just makes so much sense. We work and play all over Europe now, why the hell with modern technology should a phone call from Normandy cost me more than a phone call from Norwich? To me it signifies what the EU, Free Movement and the single market is all about. Level playing field for business and EU wide negotiated deals. It doesnt work for everything but when it does its beneficial for all.

It reminds me of when the last company I worked for was bought out and became part of a group of 22 similar companies. Whilst there were a few disadvantages, the advantages far outweighed them. Much better group purchasing power, much better global support, group working standards and practices, all sorts but we still maintained a level of autonomy. Everyone grew stronger.

These reasons are yet another example of why we should retain single market access at all costs. Of course for some the price of getting rid of the dreaded "Free Movement" is worth sacrificing just about anything for.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #47 of 236 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 03:34

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
We work and play all over Europe now, why the hell with modern technology should a phone call from Normandy cost me more than a phone call from Norwich? To me it signifies what the EU, Free Movement and the single market is all about. Level playing field for business and EU wide negotiated deals. It doesnt work for everything but when it does its beneficial for all.
Of course it's not beneficial for all - at least so far as abolition of roaming charges in the EU is concerned, if it happens. Do you think that the profits of the telecom companies are going to reduce if roaming charges are abolished? No they most certainly aren't. What will happen is that charges for domestic customers will increase to compensate for the lost profits. So no it won't be beneficial for all - only for those who "work and play all over Europe"!

Peter
post #48 of 236 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
It just makes so much sense. We work and play all over Europe now, why the hell with modern technology should a phone call from Normandy cost me more than a phone call from Norwich? To me it signifies what the EU, Free Movement and the single market is all about.
Tell me, do you pay the same to phone someone in the UK from Norwich as you do from Normandy using a BT or SFR landline? Do you pay the same to send a letter or parcel within the UK or France as you do to send a letter or parcel between the 2 countries?

Since you are so knowledgeable about what IS going to happen please explain why, as part of the Brexit negotiations, is it so impossible for the UK to remain in the 'no roaming costs' area, after all many EU citizens travel to the UK with their mobile phones too. And if we do not remain in that deal, then I am sure the vast majority IN the UK won't see it as the end of the world.
post #49 of 236 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:01

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggie View Post
Tell me, do you pay the same to phone someone in the UK from Norwich as you do from Normandy .............

Yes, I do. Toggle Mobile, which I hope will remain unchanged regardless.

Last edited by erneboy; 08-02-2017 at 09:05.
post #50 of 236 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
Yes, I do. Toggle Mobile, which I hope will remain unchanged regardless.
Ahh, up to the good old erneboy usual standard of selective quoting to give an answer to a question that was not asked in order to try and prove the point that erneboy wants to make - well done for living up to expectations

To remind you of what I actually wrote, including the important bit you seemed to miss out in your quote of my post (I will even emphasise the important bit to make it easier for you to see... )

Quote:
Tell me, do you pay the same to phone someone in the UK from Norwich as you do from Normandy using a BT or SFR landline?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page