Roaming charges and the EU - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

155Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 20:25

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,043 Posts
Personal Aire
It will seriously impact on my travel for sure. After years of juggling about trying to find ways to keep in touch affordably we are on the cusp of roaming rates being abolished and like many things we have taken for granted we are about to be cast back into the dark age with providers like Vodafone rubbing their hands with glee.

Add to that the huge increase in cost of fuel and the big drop in the exchange rate thanks to Brexit the probable loss of the NHIC health insurance card and long term trips abroad will soar in price. Of course as a non EU member you will be limited to just three months travel in the EU anyway. The next thing we will probably find is BT Fon losing its partnership with the likes of SFR and other EU providers.

I kept trotting out the phrase "Motorhomers voting for Brexit is like Turkeys voting for Christmas". Still seems apt.
gaspode, gaspode, greygit and 5 others like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 20:52

My Motorhome: 2013 Hymer 680 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glandwr View Post
The EU will make it illegal for telecoms companies to charge roaming across EU internal borders. The UK will not be in the zone. Telecoms companies can and will charge what they can get away with. Who is going to stop them?

Dick

Didn't know that you were privy to the machinations of the Eu..........hotline eh?

tony

WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion

Academia and government artificially select for particular traits, among which is a lack of life experience. This is why it's possible for a person to be exceptionally bright while failing to grasp something as rudimentary as supply and demand.

Intellectuals: All engine, no map.

post #23 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 21:04

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Is any of what Dick said not well known and in the public domain Tony? If so I'd appreciate it if you'd point me at the bit you think is insider knowledge please.
Penquin and Penquin like this.

post #24 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
Is any of what Dick said not well known and in the public domain Tony? If so I'd appreciate it if you'd point me at the bit you think is insider knowledge please.

Dick: "The EU will make it illegal for telecoms companies to charge roaming across EU internal borders".

Really ? I didn't know ............ have they told TM that, surely if Dick knows then we should all be informed. Or, are we in the realms of conjecture again? A Project Fear add on.?

Academia and government artificially select for particular traits, among which is a lack of life experience. This is why it's possible for a person to be exceptionally bright while failing to grasp something as rudimentary as supply and demand.

post #25 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 22:02

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
No not a Project Fear add on, simply a case of reading the EU regulation concerned;

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...10:0035:EN:PDF

all of it relates to roaming charges INSIDE the EU ONLY.

Dave
erneboy and erneboy like this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #26 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
No not a Project Fear add on, simply a case of reading the EU regulation concerned;

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...10:0035:EN:PDF

all of it relates to roaming charges INSIDE the EU ONLY.

Dave

As we will be, unfortunately, for at least the next two years at least............or are we to be excluded immediately

tony

post #27 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 22:10

My Motorhome: Rapido 7090
Personal Aire
I'm currently paying 28 for 24Gb on a 3 payg data sim valid for 2 years; that's half the capped price that the EU is legislating for in 5 years time. (in fact it is probably cheaper than my home broadband and it's 10x faster too).

If 3 can do that now is there any reason to think they won't in future? OK so the "Feel At Home" is limited to 60 continuous days in any year but that would still suit 95% of users and you can always get a spare sim.
GEMMY and GEMMY like this.

Canoe & Kayak manufacturer/retailer

Last edited by WildThingsKev; 06-02-2017 at 22:18.
post #28 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 22:13

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
It's truly incredible to think that millions of people travelled to Europe before the mobile phone and the internet were even invented. And even after these wonderful things were invented they carried on travelling even though they couldn't use them in Europe and had to manage without until they got back home again. And meanwhile somehow millions more people travel the world and manage to get by.

I'm afraid that the Remainers demean themselves and their cause by getting their knickers in a twist about such petty things as roaming charges.

Peter
post #29 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
It's truly incredible to think that millions of people travelled to Europe before the mobile phone and the internet were even invented. And even after these wonderful things were invented they carried on travelling even though they couldn't use them in Europe and had to manage without until they got back home again. And meanwhile somehow millions more people travel the world and manage to get by.

I'm afraid that the Remainers demean themselves and their cause by getting their knickers in a twist about such petty things as roaming charges.

Come on Peter, you know modern peoples canna do withoot Farcebook & Twatter, their world would end, think of the depression and panic attacks

tony

post #30 of 236 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 22:30

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,043 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post

Your just enforcing my point that some of you just seem to want to go back to the dark ages. Of course we survived in the olden days like the 70's That doesnt mean we want to go back there.

This is my whole point I have been making to you. The world has changed, its a much smaller place. We work globally now which means ease of communications, free movement and Europe wide deals and seamless integration. Yes roaming rates is maybe not something to get too worked up about but its just one example of how we will be undoing 40 years of progress and benefits of being in the worlds biggest market. There will be a raft of others that by the time they start to hit you it will be too late. We dont want to just "Get by" we want the benefits and European Citizenship that we have been enjoying, and some. Its nice if your a wealthy retired Brexiteer motorhomer who perhaps doesnt care about paying 30% more for your travel in Europe who maybe makes the odd call home or logs into a forum every now and again when they get campsite wifi. Nothing for you to worry about huh? Until you get kicked out of Spain for overstaying your allowance over winter perhaps.
greygit, greygit, Al42 and 3 others like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page