Roaming charges and the EU - Page 10 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

155Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 236 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 19:47

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagey View Post
hi with more people from the 27 countries of the eu in the uk than uk people in the eu i think the eu will soon want to keep no roaming charges just a thought
That's too logical! No doubt we'll be told that the EU will want to keep roaming charges high so as to punish the Brits - regardless of what it does to EU citizens. It's a bit like the argument on trade barriers and tariffs.

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 236 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 19:50

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
The Brits will get the blame for everything now from Greek debt to dry summers.

Ray.
peribro, peribro, jo662 and 1 others like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #93 of 236 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 21:04

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
You define rip off any way you like Peter, meanwhile I'll regard roaming costs as a rip off.
Now here's a book that describes a right royal rip off!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Europ.../dp/1847945708

Peter

post #94 of 236 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 21:17

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
No Peter, The Royal rip off is a different story entirely.
Glandwr, Glandwr, peribro and 1 others like this.
post #95 of 236 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 21:22

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
No Peter, The Royal rip off is a different story entirely.
Yes Alan, I have a copy that is banned in UK. Called The Royals by Kathy Kelley.

Ray.
erneboy and erneboy like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #96 of 236 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 21:32

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Is there a book that covers the Banking Rip Off which makes the others look third rate, or perhaps a book looking at the exploitation of the EU by former Labour peers and wives? Or perhaps former leaders of one party that has shaken up so many other things......

It is easy to think of areas where rip offs have taken place, it is hard to trace how such rip offs have been allowed to develop from a reasonable stance......

The end is unacceptable, but can anyone reliably spot the start? "Borrowing" things from employers? "Perks" of the job? Using the Company car for private use? Taking a "sickie" day? Going further than you ticket permits or perhaps not having a ticket? Going round a supermarket and perhaps "under-weighing" something?

Those are all examples of rip offs, OK at a much smaller level, but oak trees grow from very small acorns....

Dave
raynipper and raynipper like this.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #97 of 236 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 21:41

My Motorhome: 2013 Hymer 680 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
Of course they are - come on.....

when was the last time you hard of people using a M A P

and without their little electronic friends telling them to "in 200 metres turn left" they'd never get out of the ferry/tunnel terminal....

Dave
My sat navs never charge me a p

Every trip over the water never costs me more than 50p

tony

WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion

Academia and government artificially select for particular traits, among which is a lack of life experience. This is why it's possible for a person to be exceptionally bright while failing to grasp something as rudimentary as supply and demand.

Intellectuals: All engine, no map.

post #98 of 236 (permalink) Old 13-02-2017, 10:48

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Of course they are - come on.....

when was the last time you hard of people using a M A P to find their way round?

and without their little electronic friends telling them to "in 200 metres turn left" they'd never get out of the ferry/tunnel terminal....

would they?

Dave
Dave

You picked a bad example there, because the maps are pre-loaded in the Satnav and the GPS signal is not from the internet but from satellites and is free. Only if you try to download info such as POIs from the internet would you pay for internet access.

I solve the other problem need you cited - No Kids!

Geoff
post #99 of 236 (permalink) Old 13-02-2017, 10:59

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Quote:

Dave
sorry, imprecise term, lesson 978 "be clearer what you write".....

I should have specified mobile PHONES being used for navigation such as android phones (I do not know about the iPhone);

Maps are pre-loaded in Sat Nabs such as TomTom and Garmin but not on phones - you have to download if you want them from my experience......

hence my comment about their little friends..... AFAIK MH don't normally come with installed sat navs yet or do they? I know cars do but not sure about new MH, maybe someone can enlighten me.

Sadly, many "younger" people now seem to assume that the mobile phone is essential 24/7 to keep in touch via some thing such as Apps or text or even, shame and horror, TALKING to others.....

but the little mobile phone is with them and in use virtually all the time....

Dave

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #100 of 236 (permalink) Old 13-02-2017, 13:32

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Of course roaming charges are (or were and will be again) a rip off. A few years ago I Asked a senior bloke at Vodafone to explain to me with modern technology why they were so high. He couldnt really answer and all he kept saying was "Its because its abroad" WTF!

Do you remember before the EU stuck its (helpful) oar in the horror stories of people running up bills of thousands of pounds for doing daft things like streaming movies? EU Stopped that. I know several people that run up bill just from calls and iPhone emails of several hundred pounds. EU stopped all that by capping bills at £56 so you just got cut off when you reached the limit unless you arranged with your provider to have the bar taken off or upped.

All greats steps taken by the EU to prevent such things happening and to prevent providers who lets face it are a set of sharks from taking the pish.

The EU has created the Digital Single Market which plans to make everything from mobile phones to broadband easier and cheaper. https://ec.europa.eu/priorities/digi...ngle-market_en Its great that they are doing that but of course its something else that we will miss out on should we leave the EU.

Schemes like this usually have big fat pockets of funding attached to them, something we really could do with in the UK as our broadband and network infrastructure is shite, especially up here.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page