Netflix & BBC I Player in Europe - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 10:11 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Carthago Chic C Line I 4.3
Netflix & BBC I Player in Europe

We have fitted an iBoost Omni-Directional Wi-Fi router to ourmotorhome and it works fine allowing us to use to connect our phones, I Padsand Apple TV to a single connection.

To date we have only used it in the UK with Apple TV mainly to getNetflix & BBC I Player. My query is picking up Netflix & I Player onour extended trips to France, Spain & Portugal is it possible I understandnot?

I have read about setting up a UK VPN which gets around the regionproblem but have no experience of this so any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 13:38

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
I am almost certain that the Iplayer system can (and does!) recognise that you are not in the UK so will refuse to work. (There were a few "work arounds" but I think they have been identified and stopped now)

Not sure about Netflix etc BUT accessing it other than with your home wifi is going to use up any mobile data allowance you have VERY quickly indeed.

I have a second Humax Fresat box so record all sorts of stuff onto that (in SD not HD to conserve disk space) and then take it away with us so we have a selection of telebox stuff if we want it. The added advantage being there is no satellite signal to seek out and no data charges to pay.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 13:43 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
I am almost certain that the Iplayer system can (and does!) recognise that you are not in the UK so will refuse to work. (There were a few "work arounds" but I think they have been identified and stopped now)

Not sure about Netflix etc BUT accessing it other than with your home wifi is going to use up any mobile data allowance you have VERY quickly indeed.

I have a second Humax Fresat box so record all sorts of stuff onto that (in SD not HD to conserve disk space) and then take it away with us so we have a selection of telebox stuff if we want it. The added advantage being there is no satellite signal to seek out and no data charges to pay.

Andy

Thanks never considered recording onto a free sat box first, although it would need to be small as I have restricted space
Thanks
paul

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 14:36

My Motorhome: Niesmann Bischoff Flair
Not sure about Netflix but I can confirm that BBC iPlayer and ITV Player both do still work whilst using a VPN. I am currently sitting watching BBC iPlayer here in Dubai and it is working perfectly.
HarleyDave and HarleyDave like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 14:41 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartwebr View Post
Not sure about Netflix but I can confirm that BBC iPlayer and ITV Player both do still work whilst using a VPN. I am currently sitting watching BBC iPlayer here in Dubai and it is working perfectly.

Thanks can you suggest a VPN?
paul
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 14:45

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1234 View Post
Thanks never considered recording onto a free sat box first, although it would need to be small as I have restricted space
Thanks
paul
In actual fact, the best way to take recorded material with you is to use a YouView box. I've got a BT (Humax) example which has a 2.5" 500gb drive, is small and light and even runs off 12v. There is also a similar TalkTalk (Huawei) branded example but the drive is smaller (320gb I think). Lots of them around for cheap money, example here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TALK-TALK-...QAAOSwPpFXMLHG

As for streaming, not really a practical option unless you're using all singing/dancing sites with a strong/fast WiFi signal. Some swear by it, much too hit & miss for me to bother

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
The Following User Says Thank You to gaspode For This Useful Post:
Paul1234 (31-05-2016)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 15:15

My Motorhome: Niesmann Bischoff Flair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1234 View Post
Thanks can you suggest a VPN?
paul

I use IP Vanish which works very well on my iPad. However, it is not cheap at $69 a year. It auto renewed yesterday that's why I know the price.

Some guys use VPN Master and find it really good and it's free. I was going to change to that and give it a go before I realised I was set up to auto renew.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 17:04

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,040 Times in 903 Posts
Personal Aire
Its very hit and miss getting good enough wifi to watch stuff abroad. I tend to just download heaps of stuff onto the laptop before we go now and just watch it on that. I do use Zenmate free VPN for streaming sites but you have to pay for the UK server based version. If I get somewhere where there is a really fast connection Ill just top up my downloads folder with whatever and move on. You can also use www.filmon.com for watching live TV abroad without a VPN but not catch up.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
Paul1234 (31-05-2016)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 17:57

Location: Ex Rochdale,now Cabanas de Tavira, S.Brittany & where the wheels take me
My Motorhome: Calder Leisure Ultralite 5'er & Globecar Globestar PVC
I use purevpn to access iplayer etc when in Europe, around $50 for 2 years.

Using filmon it is possible to register, which is free, and save 1 hour of programmes on their server and download to your device as an mp4 and watch whenever you like. For 5 euros a month it is possible to extend the recording time to 4 hours, which renews once downloaded, this means that good bandwidth is not necessary as you are not streaming. Downloads can take some time but this can be done at times when the bandwidth is better especially important on site wifi connections.

I have found that it has been next to impossible to download any media files using the 3 feel at home service in France and Spain even though the speed for other things is quite good.
barryd, barryd, alanedwin and 1 others like this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 31-05-2016, 18:42

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
There is a battle currently going on between Netflix and the VPN providers as Netflix is continually attempting to block them. Therefore one that may work today may not work tomorrow. There is a lot on google about this but what seems to be the case is that if you have a "personal" VPN it is unlikely you will be blocked. I have a VPN on my Synology Diskstation that only I use so I think it unlikely that it will get blocked but I could be wrong!

Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page