Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Netflix & BBC I Player in Europe

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Sevenup 
#1 ·
We have fitted an iBoost Omni-Directional Wi-Fi router to ourmotorhome and it works fine allowing us to use to connect our phones, I Padsand Apple TV to a single connection.

To date we have only used it in the UK with Apple TV mainly to getNetflix & BBC I Player. My query is picking up Netflix & I Player onour extended trips to France, Spain & Portugal is it possible I understandnot?

I have read about setting up a UK VPN which gets around the regionproblem but have no experience of this so any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Paul

#2 ·
I am almost certain that the Iplayer system can (and does!) recognise that you are not in the UK so will refuse to work. (There were a few "work arounds" but I think they have been identified and stopped now)

Not sure about Netflix etc BUT accessing it other than with your home wifi is going to use up any mobile data allowance you have VERY quickly indeed.

I have a second Humax Fresat box so record all sorts of stuff onto that (in SD not HD to conserve disk space) and then take it away with us so we have a selection of telebox stuff if we want it. The added advantage being there is no satellite signal to seek out and no data charges to pay.

Andy

#3 ·
I am almost certain that the Iplayer system can (and does!) recognise that you are not in the UK so will refuse to work. (There were a few "work arounds" but I think they have been identified and stopped now)

Not sure about Netflix etc BUT accessing it other than with your home wifi is going to use up any mobile data allowance you have VERY quickly indeed.

I have a second Humax Fresat box so record all sorts of stuff onto that (in SD not HD to conserve disk space) and then take it away with us so we have a selection of telebox stuff if we want it. The added advantage being there is no satellite signal to seek out and no data charges to pay.

Andy
Thanks never considered recording onto a free sat box first, although it would need to be small as I have restricted space
Thanks
paul

#8 ·
Its very hit and miss getting good enough wifi to watch stuff abroad. I tend to just download heaps of stuff onto the laptop before we go now and just watch it on that. I do use Zenmate free VPN for streaming sites but you have to pay for the UK server based version. If I get somewhere where there is a really fast connection Ill just top up my downloads folder with whatever and move on. You can also use www.filmon.com for watching live TV abroad without a VPN but not catch up.

#9 ·
I use purevpn to access iplayer etc when in Europe, around $50 for 2 years.

Using filmon it is possible to register, which is free, and save 1 hour of programmes on their server and download to your device as an mp4 and watch whenever you like. For 5 euros a month it is possible to extend the recording time to 4 hours, which renews once downloaded, this means that good bandwidth is not necessary as you are not streaming. Downloads can take some time but this can be done at times when the bandwidth is better especially important on site wifi connections.

I have found that it has been next to impossible to download any media files using the 3 feel at home service in France and Spain even though the speed for other things is quite good.

#10 ·
There is a battle currently going on between Netflix and the VPN providers as Netflix is continually attempting to block them. Therefore one that may work today may not work tomorrow. There is a lot on google about this but what seems to be the case is that if you have a "personal" VPN it is unlikely you will be blocked. I have a VPN on my Synology Diskstation that only I use so I think it unlikely that it will get blocked but I could be wrong!

#11 ·
I have successfully used Earth VPN (at $4 per month) while in Spain for the winter - worked fine and was perfect for downloading stuff to watch later - it all depends on what bandwidth you can get where you are.

There are also some interesting sites like "watch series" (google it) that don't need VPN if you just want something to watch other than live programming

Cheers

Dave

#12 ·
A lot of the streaming sites like Watch Series are blocked in the UK now by providers like BT so you still need a VPN to access them even in the UK. Depends on who your broadband is with and what restrictions they put on them. Probably a good idea to use a VPN for such things anyway and definitely a good ad blocker.

#13 ·
As big thank you to all in responding to my posting I think thatI will try a VPN and see how it goes.

In addition I am sold on the idea of buying a FreeviewRecorder and any further suggestions on the best one to purchase would beappreciated. I have already installed a HDMI for my Apply TV so I can simply plugthe recorder into that.

Having had a quick look on the Net some of the recorderscome with Wi fi connection so possible to run things like Netflix, does anybodyknow if it is also then possible to record Netflix programmes?

Regards

Paul

#15 ·
iplayer for TV is supposed to be blocked outside the UK, as the BBC only has a licence to show TV within the UK, although there do seem to be ways to get around this at the moment, as discussed above.

iplayer for radio is available utside the UK, however. Personally, I do not miss TV at all, but do like to tune in to BBC radio 4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.