Laptop wifi access in France, how do I get it???? - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 12:03

My Motorhome: 2014 Ducato - Carado T334
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post
I still believe the only reliable and cost effective way is via a local SIM and MIFI (or even dongle if only using laptop).
Not everyone has (or wants) smartphones, tablets etc. and the tech savvy knowledge to make full and varied use of them.
I'm certainly not tech savvy enough to use 'local SIM and MIFI (or even dongle if only using laptop)', I don't even know what Mifi is, and I don't need to. Tablets don't have to be complicated, mine is functionally the same as a laptop only cheaper, it runs Windows and Office.

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move. (Robert Louis Stevenson)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 22:37

My Motorhome: Autotrail Chieftain SE (2006)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougaitken View Post
It should also be noted that as has been mentioned on here before many of the Mobile Phone companies T & C's state that using a phone as a Hotspot is not allowed, O2 for example. This is often particularly referenced to use abroad, 3 for example, probably largely because their Partners do not agree to it. Therefore there is a risk you could be stopped from connecting.
Yes. earlier this year I continued to hotspot from my 3 mobile phone after we had crossed from UK to France. We continued for about a week and then they turned off my internet and told me I was in breach of T&Cs. If I wanted to continue to get the internet on my phone I had to turn it off and on again and cease hotspotting - I complied!
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 22:53

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrers View Post
Yes. earlier this year I continued to hotspot from my 3 mobile phone after we had crossed from UK to France. We continued for about a week and then they turned off my internet and told me I was in breach of T&Cs. If I wanted to continue to get the internet on my phone I had to turn it off and on again and cease hotspotting - I complied!
Well it's clear enough from their T&Cs that they specifically exclude tethering whilst roaming.
I assume you were connecting a laptop or PC to your hotspot? Most people seem to report being able to tether iPads and Android tablets without a problem although I've never tried myself.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.

post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 23:57

My Motorhome: Autotrail Chieftain SE (2006)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspode View Post
Well it's clear enough from their T&Cs that they specifically exclude tethering whilst roaming.
I assume you were connecting a laptop or PC to your hotspot? Most people seem to report being able to tether iPads and Android tablets without a problem although I've never tried myself.
I was actually watching something on my Apple TV. I tend to hotspot to my IBoost router and then that is directly networked to my Apple tv and also my Humax Satellite Receiver. At the same time I can connect my laptop, iPad and Hudl via wifi.

I think I was streaming a film when the internet cut off and the message from Three appeared in the log.

Last edited by Harrers; 02-12-2015 at 23:58. Reason: added laptop
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 14:25

My Motorhome: Bailey Approach Autograph 745
Well, I bit the bullet and went for the 3 MiFi, it came very quickly and was a doddle to set-up.

We've just been away this weekend and given it a trial run - it works very well so far in this country, obviously I'll have to try it out in a few more locations but it's a thumbs up from me so far.

Of course, using it in France will be the acid test... ...just how do you say "I'd like to buy an unlocked, pay-as-you-go SIM cad please"? in French?

Follow our motorhome travels on http://21stcenturybobbylog.wordpress.com
post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 14:49

My Motorhome: Kontiki 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWez View Post
Well, I bit the bullet and went for the 3 MiFi, it came very quickly and was a doddle to set-up.

We've just been away this weekend and given it a trial run - it works very well so far in this country, obviously I'll have to try it out in a few more locations but it's a thumbs up from me so far.

Of course, using it in France will be the acid test... ...just how do you say "I'd like to buy an unlocked, pay-as-you-go SIM cad please"? in French?
Thanks for the info!
When are you off to France to try it?
post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 18:01

The fashion among the posher campsites in Spain seems to be fibre wifi on your pitch at about a euro a day. If you want lots of capacity and are coming to one site overwinter I would tend to just use the site system.
I have a 4G "three" midi and although it works well it is not so good.
Remember you cannot tether with a "three" phone when abroad at the moment. (But the midi is fine)

safariboy
The Following User Says Thank You to safariboy For This Useful Post:
jo662 (31-01-2016)
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 21:50

Quote:
I'd suggest you go into an SFR shop and ask for a "La Carte sim Internet prepaye sans abonnement" . (I think it's the device - phone or mifi - that's unlocked, not the SIM.). Maybe the best option is to find a shop where someone speaks English, but in our experience unless you're lucky expect a long wait - the shop's always seem to have a queue (get a ticket when you go in.) If you ask they'll often activate the sim for you.

The current La Carte tariff for data is 5€ for 200Mb/2 days, 10€ for 1Gb/10 days or 35€ for 4Gb/1 month. See their site at http://www.sfr.fr/telephonie-mobile/sfr-la-carte.html

The site also lists shops - http://boutique.sfr.fr/#sfrintid=V_m..._meta_magasins

Good luck.

Bailey Approach 740

And I can't wait to get on the road again.
Goin´ places that I´ve never been.
Seein´ things that I may never see again
(Willie Nelson)
The Following User Says Thank You to Solwaybuggier For This Useful Post:
MrWez (01-02-2016)
post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 31-01-2016, 23:59

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Quote:
Why do you need to buy a sim in France?

Just buy a "3" PAYG sim before you go, they work in France very well and I believe you can top them up easily from France if you run out of data (although never tried it personally).
Another suggestion is to use Lebara.fr (they'll send you a sim free if you Email them) and just buy a top-up over the counter of any Tabac when you get there. I tried this a couple of years ago and it worked OK but was slow and coverage nowhere near as good as "3". Maybe it's improved now? Very cheap to try it anyway and the Lebara cards are excellent for phone calls and texts back to UK.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
The Following User Says Thank You to gaspode For This Useful Post:
MrWez (01-02-2016)
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:34

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
I live in France and for use whilst travelling, for me a data SIM is the only option, sure the FON etc. wifi works some of the time.
As to provider choice I've tried most, when I tried the Lebara one I found it to be the worst I'd tried. I'm currently using an Orange.fr one, it has got a contract but no fixed time and can be cancelled with one months notice, it is a data only, so no phone calls and costs €24.99 per month for 8 gb when the 8 gb is used they don't cut you off just throttle back the speed of access. An added advantage of this one is they also allow 3gb of roaming at no extra cost in the EU although that allowance is a yearly one and not per month, useful if you just dip into another country.
I've found SFR and Orange to have the best overall coverage of the country.

I'm currently in Spain and using my Spanish Lebara SIM, always found the Lebara one suited me best here, unfortunately this year things appear to have changed, my MIFI shows the carrier as being DC, which from doing a bit of research appears to be Dual Carrier. The service is very on and off and my claimed data use is way beyond normal. I have tried contacting Lebara, who are good at responding but useless at resolving anything simply replying with standard frequently asked question answers.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page