Non-time limited PAYG SIM? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 01:05 Thread Starter

Non-time limited PAYG SIM?

I'm noticing that when we're away in the van in the UK, my mobile signal is often pants. (I'm currently on a contract with Three with my own unlocked 3G Android smartphone).

When we are away, I'd like to have the option (if the signal turns out to be pants) of swapping my Three contract sim card for a PAYG sim. I'm a bit confused by what providers are offering. What deals can I get for a SIM card only PAYG with no monthly fees and no limit expiry date on purchased time/data?

In an ideal world, my plan would be to have two PAYG sims covering two different networks.

Thanks

Michael Morris
Elddis Autoquest 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:13

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:57

My Motorhome: Hymer 504
I hardly use my phone so it is a waste of money to have a monthly contract for me. I was with IKEA family mobile but they changed providers so now I'm using Sainsbury 's mobile Payg. No contract, unlimited time for top up. £10 will last me several months. I only use wifi when I can log on to somewhere so no expensive roaming fees. Had it a couple of months now and no problems with coverage.
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:48

My Motorhome: Autotrail Dakota Super Lowline
Personal Aire
Our phones are on different networks but we also carry a third phone in the van which is a cheapy with a Vodafone sim in it.

Vodafone offer a free PAYG sim which you just top up as and when you want. Credit doesn't expire and the only thing I need to remember is to make a call on it every few of months just to keep the sim active.

It's only ever used for the occasional voice call or text so I can't comment on data costs. I don't bother swapping the sim into my own phone as that seems more hassle than it's worth.

Having said all that.......... on the last occasion that neither of us could pick up a signal on our own phones, there was no coverage on the Vodafone either so the system isn't foolproof

Vodafone info here

Last edited by philoaks; 08-10-2015 at 10:04.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:50

Sim Card

We have a Toggle Sim Card and have done for the last few years there are many posts on here if you do a search.
I usually top up online as you get 10% extra free £20.00 is the minimum but that can last us up to 6 months.
Customer Services havealwaysbeen very good if there is a problem and of course calls are only 3p a minute.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:52

I use a Tesco PAYG for phone in the UK - top up £10, normally lasts me a couple of months. Mobile data is £5 for 28 days, 500 Mb, but when you top up they add a bonus of 2x the top up for calls & texts only for next 28 days.

Bailey Approach 740

And I can't wait to get on the road again.
Goin´ places that I´ve never been.
Seein´ things that I may never see again
(Willie Nelson)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 11:05

I would really like a non time-limited data SIM for a tab. But no network seems to want to do that.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 18:36

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I have no idea as to UK tariffs but all my phones are dual SIM and can have either two French ones or a UK and French SIM.
My Chinese Samsung copy has two SIMs and the others are Nokia bought at boots for buttons.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 20:16

I bought one from O2 for £15 - lasts indefinitely provided you make at least 1 call every 3 months. Sounds similar to @philoaks' Vodafone one.

The SIM is in an old phone hidden away in the van in case of emergencies.

Morph

There are only 10 different types of people: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 20:32

My Motorhome: Hymer 504 B Class
My wife has one mobile provider, I have another. This gives us the choice of two providers. Still have the occasional problem but we watch where other campers go for a signal. Most sites are in out of the way places where coverage is bound to be limited.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page