iBoost Pro D8 Directional System - anyone using it? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 28-12-2014, 13:13

iBoost Pro D8

Yes you can connect a range of devices at the same time . See previous replies.
No you can't connect to mobile phone networks.

For informed info on range and the pros and cons of directional and omnidirectional aerials look at the MotorhomeWiFi website.

We have the directional model which we are happy with but other forum members may have the omni model and can comment on suitability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 28-12-2014, 14:59

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Just hooked up again at Vila Velha de Rodáoin Portugal. Its in a steep gorge and I'm getting a signal from 0.6 miles away. Can only assume its a vertical 0.6 miles!

As far as campsite WiFi is concerned the iBoost is the only connected device.
The iBoost then configures its own WiFi area for up to 5 devices.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 28-12-2014, 15:02

My Motorhome: Autosleeper Clubman GL 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead
Hi

Good reviews all-round it seems for the iBoost. I have a couple of questions that you may be able to answer......

When on many sites they charge for the wifi but you can then only connect one device to it. With the iBoost can this be the one device and then share the connection with your other devices?

Is it possible to connect a dongle to it so it can receive a mobile signal where there is no wifi?

What is the actual range of it when used?

Is directional or omnidirectional better?

Thanks in advance, it may just make me buy one as it seems the best system on the market.

Andy
1) Yes indeed, and this is one of the major benefits for me (being able to share one connection between phone(s), iPad etc.).

2) If you mean a USB dongle, then no you can't. If it is a wi-fi dongle then yes, but no point really!

3) Actual range? The usual answer would be "it depends. . ."! It is also difficult to say because you often don't know exactly where the signal originates. With the directional antenna I have operated over a range of almost 4 miles, but that was from a hilltop to another directional antenna especially rigged on my house for the purpose of a test! The U.S. record is about 125 miles I understand. Real-life range is likely to be more like up to half a mile or so.

4) Directional antenna would give better range but omnidirectional is easier to set up as you don't have to search for signals by turning it. I use a directional one as I thought range was more important to me.

Hope that helps rather than confuses!

Steve

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 28-12-2014, 17:31

The best idea of range is that it just about quarters your distance from the node. That is if you are actually 100m from the node it seems like 25m and in proportion.
The directional ones are certainly the best. Their one disadvantage is that you have to work out where the node is and point it roughly in that direction. You will not get the performance on the omnidirectional ones in most circumstances.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page