Definitive Guide to FON & BT WiFi in the UK and France - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 26-04-2014, 19:28

You can only get free access outside of the UK if you have a separate paid for BT Wifi account.

If you pay for a BT wifi account separately then you should be able to access from outside the UK, but BT Wifi or BT Openzone will not allow you account outside the UK if you only have the free account via your BT Broadband account.

Hope that makes sense!

Follow our Motorhome Travels at www.motorhometour.co.uk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 27-04-2014, 11:24

Send a message via Yahoo to Gazzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegos
You can only get free access outside of the UK if you have a separate paid for BT Wifi account.

If you pay for a BT wifi account separately then you should be able to access from outside the UK, but BT Wifi or BT Openzone will not allow you account outside the UK if you only have the free account via your BT Broadband account.

Hope that makes sense!
See their terms & conditions:

https://www.bt.com/static/wa/wifi/pages/info.html

Important Information

1) From the middle of March 2009 BT Broadband customers automatically became part of BT Wi-fi, unless they chose to opt-out. Likewise, from December 2009 all customers who re-contracted to BT Broadband now receive access to BT Wi-fi, part of the global Fon community. All other BT Broadband customers who joined prior to this date and who did not agree a new minimum term will need to opt-in via www.bt.com/btwifi.

2) Wi-fi access outside of the home is only available if you are opted-in to BT Wi-fi. If you opt in, you will be able to securely access the Internet when in range of another member's signal, using a portion of their wi-fi bandwidth. Other BT Wi-fi members will also be able to securely access the Internet using a portion of the bandwidth available from your BT Home Hub when they are in range (of the signal)*. This does not compromise your service and your use is always a priority.

3) Opting in also gives you internet access at any BT Wi-fi hotspot or Fon access point outside of the UK. For tablet or smartphone users, you can download the free BT app from www.bt.com/btwifi to help you find and connect quickly.

4) Any BT Broadband customer who has opted into BT Wi–fi gives you unlimited minutes at BT Wi–fi and Fon hotspots.

5) You can opt-out of BT Wi-fi at any time, however you will lose your free and unlimited wi-fi access at BT Wi-fi, Fon and our associated partner network hotspots. BT will not credit any more minutes to your account and other BT Wi-fi members will not be able to share your bandwidth.

6) In addition to these terms and conditions you are also subject to the Standard terms of service for the BT Broadband. You can view these at www.bt.com/terms.

7) There is no cash alternative or substitute to this offer and the wi-fi access is non-transferable and non-assignable.

BT reserves the right to change or withdraw this offer at any time.

9) From time to time BT may seek to restrict access to, or respond to a request from a BT Wifi Hotspot partner to restrict access to, a limited a number of websites at a BT Site. The implementation of any restricted access to a website will be at BT's sole discretion.

* Even if you don't have a BT Home Hub you will still get the minutes of access when you opt-in. If you get a BT Home Hub in the future and remain opted in it will automatically be configured to allow other BT Wi-fi members to log in.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 27-04-2014, 12:12

Thanks for the info. It was a Telecom hot spot I was trying to log on to (not Fon). It had bt openzone as a partner and I was log on through that (without success)

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 27-04-2014, 23:20

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Quote:
Thanks for the info. It was a Telecom hot spot I was trying to log on to (not Fon). It had bt openzone as a partner and I was log on through that (without success)
To log on for free I believe that it has to be through a BT FON, BT Openzone or FON hotspot. If you try to connect through one of BT's "roaming partners" then you will have to pay - as you have discovered.

Peter
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 15-09-2015, 15:39

My Motorhome: 2014 LWB High Roof VW T5 Selfbuild
Personal Aire
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, I've searched and not found it so I am posting here.

Recently there has been a change to the initial sign-in screen to SFR FON and the location of the link to proceed as the user of a partner FON supplier has become less obvious. Here is a screen grab of the current (15 Sept 2015) screen with the link highlighted with a big black arrow. It looks at as if this is related to the paid for options but it is not.

That will take you to the 'User Name & password' screen or log you in after a ten second countdown if your computer is already 'known' (cookies) to the SFR FON system.
The Following User Says Thank You to rod_vw For This Useful Post:
jo662 (27-12-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page