Originally Posted by stevegos
You can only get free access outside of the UK if you have a separate paid for BT Wifi account.
If you pay for a BT wifi account separately then you should be able to access from outside the UK, but BT Wifi or BT Openzone will not allow you account outside the UK if you only have the free account via your BT Broadband account.
Hope that makes sense!
See their terms & conditions:
1) From the middle of March 2009 BT Broadband customers automatically became part of BT Wi-fi, unless they chose to opt-out. Likewise, from December 2009 all customers who re-contracted to BT Broadband now receive access to BT Wi-fi, part of the global Fon community. All other BT Broadband customers who joined prior to this date and who did not agree a new minimum term will need to opt-in via www.bt.com/btwifi
2) Wi-fi access outside of the home is only available if you are opted-in to BT Wi-fi. If you opt in, you will be able to securely access the Internet when in range of another member's signal, using a portion of their wi-fi bandwidth. Other BT Wi-fi members will also be able to securely access the Internet using a portion of the bandwidth available from your BT Home Hub when they are in range (of the signal)*. This does not compromise your service and your use is always a priority.
3) Opting in also gives you internet access at any BT Wi-fi hotspot or Fon access point outside of the UK. For tablet or smartphone users, you can download the free BT app from www.bt.com/btwifi
to help you find and connect quickly.
4) Any BT Broadband customer who has opted into BT Wi–fi gives you unlimited minutes at BT Wi–fi and Fon hotspots.
5) You can opt-out of BT Wi-fi at any time, however you will lose your free and unlimited wi-fi access at BT Wi-fi, Fon and our associated partner network hotspots. BT will not credit any more minutes to your account and other BT Wi-fi members will not be able to share your bandwidth.
6) In addition to these terms and conditions you are also subject to the Standard terms of service for the BT Broadband. You can view these at www.bt.com/terms
7) There is no cash alternative or substitute to this offer and the wi-fi access is non-transferable and non-assignable.
BT reserves the right to change or withdraw this offer at any time.
9) From time to time BT may seek to restrict access to, or respond to a request from a BT Wifi Hotspot partner to restrict access to, a limited a number of websites at a BT Site. The implementation of any restricted access to a website will be at BT's sole discretion.
* Even if you don't have a BT Home Hub you will still get the minutes of access when you opt-in. If you get a BT Home Hub in the future and remain opted in it will automatically be configured to allow other BT Wi-fi members to log in.