Motorhome Facts Forum banner

TomTom 750

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Dick1234 
#1 ·
Anyone using the Tom Tom GO 750 live good or bad reports?

Off to spain next week and wife has just informed me she is getting me a new satnav. Because she is fed up with keep having to go to back of van to collect it after I have pulled it off the screen & thrown it ( dolly out of pram job) :oops:
At the time did not know any better and bought a sony sat nav pure cxxp. Hope there televisions are better.
Steve

#3 ·
Well - not 750, but I have a 510 that served me admirably for two years in my former life as a music biz. tour manager/driver and is now just charged up for trips in the Clubman.

While I was touring I also on occasion had to use, or was a passenger in vehicles with, other types of sat-nav and they were universally rubbish.

No experience of Garmin machines though - which i think have a pretty good reputation.

One tip with the TomTom - avoid using postcodes if you can - and NEVER rely on them for rural destinations. Lattitude/Longitude is very good where you can get the info - but occasionally these are inaccurate in CCC book - The Ashboune club site is about 2 mile out and takes you to a point where, unfortunately, there is a road sign for a different camp site!

#4 ·
I bought one a couple of weeks ago and am very pleased with it.

However, the main problem is that when it is delivered it has about 17 languages on it. This means that when you try and download the latest map guarantee it won't fit on the device and gives you all sorts of problems. Don't be tempted to do it as soon as you get the Tomtom.

Easily sorted by their customer services people who to be fair have been very good. You just need to delete the languages you don't need (Russian, Italian, etc. etc. ) before you download and then no problem. If you need any help to delete the languages if you don't want to talk to Tomtom send me a pm and I will try and tell you how to do it.

Mike

#6 ·
We ran TT5 on PDA - very good but slow to pick up satellites on Costa del Sol, and Portugal was just a green lump.

So, bought Garmin but didn't particularly like it. It went belly up in the middle of Spain - software problem after 3 months, so we replaced it with TT740.

Much more to our liking, but not used abroad yet. Totally self contained, apart from power (PDA & Garmin both had trailing wires for arial / traffic updates), neat, quick, good screen, good volume, has computer voices which read street names and give precise directions ("turn onto A47 signposted Norwich") although some of the statements are incorrect (Kings Lynn signposted, not Norwich for example). We miss John Cleese, who we had on the old TT, but we could buy him; unfortunately you then only get "turn left".

Instructions for getting into the correct lane at busy junctions only work on some junctions and is not always correct - I had a nasty argument (non-violent) with a HGV in SE London in heavy rain, whilst trying to get to Abbey Woods because TT said I needed to be in lane 3, whereas I could have stayed in L2 and still turned right! However, these are minor faults (in UK at least).

It sometimes tells me there is a quicker route, using "live" traffic management (£8ppm?) but doesn't let me know where it goes, as far as I can see, because I'm concentrating on the road ahead - I like my scenic routes, planned with care, so tend to avoid his suggestions.

Battery life whilst off charge seems short, and it is often very low after a couple of weeks in its case.

You pays your money and you takes your chance - good luck.
Gordon

#7 ·
We have a TT 720 , we have used it abroad last year and it saved a lot of tantrums, mainly from me.When abroad put the cscreen to face passenger, as I was told in some countries it is illegal for the driver to have a view of the screen, am sure I will be corrected if wrong.
We got ours from PDA. reconditioned with 12 months warranty.works well in the UK as well.

cabby

#8 ·
cabby said:
We have a TT 720 , we have used it abroad last year and it saved a lot of tantrums, mainly from me.When abroad put the cscreen to face passenger, as I was told in some countries it is illegal for the driver to have a view of the screen, am sure I will be corrected if wrong.
We got ours from PDA. reconditioned with 12 months warranty.works well in the UK as well.

cabby
Hi

I don't think it is illegal anywhere in Europe to look at a Satnav or a rear view camera, but it is illegal to look at anything which does not render driving assistance, like a TV.

P&L

#10 ·
joedenise said:
Have 710 go repaired after 23.5 months still going after another 2 years

.. look on tomtom web site they sometimes have recon units

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=1078&Category=15&Lid=1

joe
I am tempted by these re-cons a GO 730 is available for £150 - however, a word of caution - TomTom will not quote the map versions - e.g on the 730 they could be around 18 months out of date depending on when the machine was first bought.
However, another seller is http://www.totalpda.co.uk/ who do say that they provide the latest version of the maps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.