• 1 Post By eurajohn
  • 1 Post By greygit
  • 2 Post By Mrplodd
  • 2 Post By Dougaitken

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-02-2021, 07:59 Thread Starter

Tomtom Go Camper

Hi all.
Our Tomtom has crossed the rainbow bridge so will have to buy a new one. Does anyone have the Camper one and is it any good and is it worth the extra lolly?
TIA.

As I'm a dyslexic and I've had two stokes you are going to see spelling/grammar mistakes, so please don't act superior and point them out!

The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself. Rita Mae Brown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-02-2021, 09:03

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Tried it and was very unimpressed, it failed to find Barnet in London as a destination and made some horrendous errors so went back after 2 months as faulty.

I would not buy more than a basic TT now, they are overpriced and underperform for the money.
greygit likes this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-02-2021, 10:06

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
I guess you are looking at the latest version?
I have previously been a massive fan of TT, although after the fiasco surrounding the problems an update caused my (Go 1005 Live) and most other owners of the older camper model model, I opted for replacing with a "standard" i.e. non camper model.
I found the new one very good with some excellent upgrades, also with a couple of disappointments, for me the main ones being it didn't display speed or time unless a route was planned, I only owned it for a short while (about 10 weeks) which did include a tour to Norway, it performed OK, I sold the van I had it in and the buyer insisted on it remaining in place as I had hard wired and securely fixed in place.

For my replacement van I was persuaded to go the Garmin route, buying a Camper specific one, the 770 LMT-D, to date I have no real problem with the Garmin, I just don't like it as much as the TomTom.

TomTom have recently updated their range but at the moment are still showing the camper model although the UK web site is showing that there are only a few left.

I'm undecided as to whether or not it is worth going for the camper model or not, it does come preloaded with POI's and world maps along with route planning for the size and weight of your van, I've seen a lot of complaints about the routing but never experienced it on my previous camper model.
It is possible to add POI's on the standard model and a lot of the database of the camper model is rather old, so for me if I was buying again I'd probably opt for the standard 6" screen model.
It may be they will bring out an updated version shortly, so possibly worth looking around to see if that's the case.

greygit likes this.

John

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 19-02-2021, 08:34 Thread Starter

It might just be I have found the problem with my TT6000, fingers crossed.
Every time I connected it to my computer or laptop then opened TT Connect I would get the message along the lines of; please wait while we reinstall your system into the device but at the end nothing happened and it would start all over again. I started to wonder, as I was using a SD card if there was a problem with the card so I took it out and then let Connect reinstall my information or map directly into the device memory and it seems to have worked as it now boots up and seems to be OK. I still think there is a problem with the battery as it very slow to start but I fitted a new one approx. three years ago so I will just fit another one just to be on the safe side. So, as I said, fingers crossed.

PS. I think the heat here in Spain plays havoc with SD cards as I have to replace the ones in the dash cam on a regular basis.
eurajohn likes this.

As I'm a dyslexic and I've had two stokes you are going to see spelling/grammar mistakes, so please don't act superior and point them out!

The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself. Rita Mae Brown.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 20-02-2021, 17:51

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
After many (happy) years with TT my trusty device finally expired. I was looking at a replacement when someone on another forum offered me a 6 month old Garmin Camper for an excellent price. It does the job pretty well but itís nowhere near as easy, or intuitive, to use as TT
eurajohn and greygit like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 20-02-2021, 20:05

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I guess it all depends on the make your weaned on. I have both ordinary units but prefer Garmin as I find it more user friendly and less complex than TT menu.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 20-02-2021, 23:32

I have the Tomtom GO Camper and the Garmin 660LMD all of which are fully up todate. Personally I find the Tomtom has better routing than the Darmin. The Garmin used to route me through a shopping parade road near where we live before turning back to the junction it told me to bypass however it now suggests a 2 mile longer route than is necessary instead. The traffic information I find to be much better which the unit received vie=a the inbuilt Mobile sim. The Garmin has some nice additional features but to be honest to be advised there is a slope ahead is fairly obvious when I watch where I and going.

Regarding the recently released Tomtom new models they are all car units and TT have not indicated they are intending to release a Camper version indeed if you go onto their forum they are seeking Beta testers for the devices so it is likely to be sometime.
eurajohn and greygit like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 21-02-2021, 23:41

My Motorhome: Autocruise Startrail
Personal Aire
I started with the 1005 and it was great but updates were costly then it needed a new battery and I was not confident of taking the back of and fiddling around, so I bought the Go Camper. Good bit of kit but lacks some of the features on the 1005. I use the 1005 now in the car but it will only work in the 12v outlet and it not updated.

Dave

Wife: Have you got a fiver ? Me: £4 ? what do you want £3 for ?
Here's £2, bring me the change !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page