Navigaters - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 09:30 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Navigaters

I know the question has been asked many times before, but I cant find a single thread about them so have to ask again, sorry.

I must have a decent system now I dont have my human navigator, who preferred a map to a Navi
I have a Becker Ready 45 2014 I think I can treat myself to a more up to date system.

What do you good people suggest?

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 10:22

We have preferred TomTom satnavs to any others as they seem fairly intuitive and we like a dedicated device rather than something on a mobile or tablet, although they are useful for checking at times (especially if walking).

We complain like crazy about our Go Professional 6200 because she has sent us through towns rather than along by-passes, down forest tracks adjacent to dual carriageways and along service roads full of parked cars rather than sticking to the main carriageway. HOWEVER, overall she gets things right especially if we don't use anything other than "fastest" in the route selection. It is interesting to see roads marked in red which we cannot access because of our weight/width/height. She is definitely better than relying on SWMBO's map-reading skills.

Currently TT are advertising 30% off all devices but that may be only in UK.

Gordon
patp and JanHank like this.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 10:29

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I have both TomTom and Garmin sat navs Jan as well as the VW built in one. Personally I find Garmin more user friendly and simpler to use. Not being funny but my wife who really does not do 'tech' is happy to use the Garmin as and when she needs to.

Ray.
JanHank likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifes savings. Guess what? He robbed us of 750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 10:36

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
I've got knowledge of TomTom and Garmin.
For many years I had Tom Tom, from the first which was an app for the phone, through various models of stand alone and to be honest I really preferred them, however a few years ago I updated the maps on my GoLive 1005 which killed it, it turned out to be a known problem but at the time I decided as I needed the nav I'd buy a new one, which TomTom gave me a "loyalty" discount for to buy what was the latest version at the time a Go. Many excellent features with perhaps the best one that you get all updates via the unit itself on WIFI without needing to connect to a computer.
It worked very well, however they had updated many features from the older model and one of the main things I liked on the older model was, that whether or not you had a route planned it showed vehicle speed and time of day, the latest version did not do that and add to that a couple of dodgy moments with planning and routing I decided I'd try the Garmin.
I bought a Camper 770 LMT-D nice unit which has motorhome settings allowing you to tell it the size of vehicle you have and a 7" screen.
It took a bit of getting used to as operating it was different to the TomTom but after a while no major worries.

Having said all of that I still prefer the overall experience of the TomTom, both makes offer free lifetime updates, although, that means what they consider lifetime, not what you or I do.

At the moment TomTom have a promotion on their premium unit the Go Premium X for 257.45 or if you feel you need the camper version it is 379.99.

They all have similar features and mostly use the same mapping.
Many will suggest you buy a Chinese model for x, I've no actual knowledge of them but my Son-in-Law has wasted quite a lot on various ones that are now in the bin.

patp and JanHank like this.

John

Last edited by eurajohn; 03-03-2020 at 10:39.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 10:39

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Another one for TOMTOM (they are Dutch if that makes a difference) I went for the TV truck and can't fault it, put in all vehicle info and it will plan your route accordingly, dead easy to to switch from van to truck. If you buy direct from TT you have the choice for a bit more to have life time updates on both maps and live traffic. Definitely worth it you get your money back in about 18 months.

Ps they also do updates direct to wifi these days, no need to connect them to a PC
JanHank likes this.

Last edited by Glandwr; 03-03-2020 at 10:47.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 10:56 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
This one was recommended and it sounds good to me, even includes a dash camera for a bit extra, never had one of those before.
It also responds to voice commands, very handy as long as it doesnt respond by throwing a tantrum if sworn at
UK
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...2F010-02227-10
Germany
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07QSS9VKT/...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I'm Jan
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 11:13

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,040 Times in 903 Posts
Personal Aire
Lot of money for a sat nav Jan.
JanHank likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 11:24 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Lot of money for a sat nav Jan.
I have 2 old ones, a TomTom go and a Becker ready 45. Both are old , the Tom Tom 2006 Becker 2014 both batteries are just about finished neither holds a charge anymore.
I need something up to date and reliable if Im travelling alone.
patp likes this.

I'm Jan
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 12:05

Hi again

I forgot to mention that old TomToms allowed user defined icons, so I had different identifiers for all sorts of things. Now it restricts you to approx SIX, so I can't differentiate amongst ClubSites, CL/CS, commercial sites nor between CamperContact/Park4Night/SearchforSites and stopping places/overnights/service points, etc. Definitely a retrograde "advance"!

To access these POIs you have to download data to your computer, upload it to MyDrive, download it to TT device whereas previously you could send it direct from computer to device. PIA!

OTOH you don't get any of these things on a paper map.

Gordon
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 12:56 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by H1-GBV View Post
Hi again

I forgot to mention that old TomToms allowed user defined icons, so I had different identifiers for all sorts of things. Now it restricts you to approx SIX, so I can't differentiate amongst ClubSites, CL/CS, commercial sites nor between CamperContact/Park4Night/SearchforSites and stopping places/overnights/service points, etc. Definitely a retrograde "advance"!

To access these POIs you have to download data to your computer, upload it to MyDrive, download it to TT device whereas previously you could send it direct from computer to device. PIA!

OTOH you don't get any of these things on a paper map.

Gordon
Cor blimey Gordon Id definitely need a course for all that.
H1-GBV likes this.

I'm Jan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page