Route Planning software - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 31-01-2020, 15:18 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdTamar View Post
You can use TomTom's myguide for planning (even if you don't have a TomTom), though it's better if you do as then you can then just send it to the TomTom over 'the cloud' (boy I hate that term). One of the benefits is you can input your vehicle size and filter routes based on that. It has scenic routes and people have created suggested routes.

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/
Seems they now have apps for phones, but once again they don't put the prices up front.

If you have questions about touring, living, driving, etc in Italy message me.
www.johnandluisa.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 06:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelm View Post
Seems they now have apps for phones, but once again they don't put the prices up front.
Just put the TomTom app on my phone, I think it was £15 for a year and I am quite impressed with it. The advantage with this app is I will always have a sat nav with me after all we are never far from our phones

As I'm a dyslexic and I've had two stokes you are going to see spelling/grammar mistakes, so please don't act superior and point them out!

The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself. Rita Mae Brown.

Last edited by greygit; 01-02-2020 at 06:53.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 08:20

My Motorhome: RS Endeavour
Personal Aire
Is Tom Tom's "Mydrive" only available on line? If so what is the advantage over Google and Michelin Maps? To convert any routes plotted on these to your sat navs rquirements, >this App< is useful

I had another crack at getting my old version of >Map Explorer< to work on W10. Managed to get it to load ok but couldn't get it to download any map data. Since I do most of my planning at home with good internet access to online planning tools. it probably isn't worth bothering with it anymore.

I have used >Polarsteps< before to record trips and it has worked very well. The only cost involved is the use of data if you exceed your mobile network allowance or if you have a book printed. Otherwise it is totally free to use. I did buy a book once as a record of one trip and was very impressed with the quality.

peedee

The best journeys are not always in straight lines.
To read about our travels visit >this page< Latest updates 6th March 2019

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 10:40 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygit View Post
Just put the TomTom app on my phone, I think it was £15 for a year and I am quite impressed with it. The advantage with this app is I will always have a sat nav with me after all we are never far from our phones
Do you think it is a lot better, has more tools, etc than using Google maps which is also always available on the phone. We are it seems constantly using Google maps here in Italy, mostly in the car for even very short trips.

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 12:28

My Motorhome: Rapido 7065FF
I have been told that you can plan a route on Google maps while on data with WiFi/4G and then switch data off. Apparently Google still works to route you as you travel to the destination without any need for data. Is this correct?

If it is correct does this only apply to the planned route or does it also apply to a re route if you are diverted.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelm View Post
Do you think it is a lot better, has more tools, etc than using Google maps which is also always available on the phone. We are it seems constantly using Google maps here in Italy, mostly in the car for even very short trips.
I prefer Tomtom as like the screen maps etc. but I do use Google to look at routes.

As I'm a dyslexic and I've had two stokes you are going to see spelling/grammar mistakes, so please don't act superior and point them out!

The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself. Rita Mae Brown.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 09:39 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabundi View Post
I have been told that you can plan a route on Google maps while on data with WiFi/4G and then switch data off. Apparently Google still works to route you as you travel to the destination without any need for data. Is this correct?

If it is correct does this only apply to the planned route or does it also apply to a re route if you are diverted.
That is a good question I always use it online. You can save the route and map area around it, but I think the calculations are done in the cloud so rerouting would be a problem. We need to try it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jhelm For This Useful Post:
kabundi (03-02-2020)
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 17:56

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
@barryd finally got a working version of Aroute 2013 thanks to a joint member.

I worked out (yes me) how to run it on Win 10.

Right-click DVDRun and select troubleshoot compatibility
barryd and Matchlock like this.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 18:23

My Motorhome: Auto-Sleeper EK TB LP
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudsey_Bear View Post
@barryd finally got a working version of Aroute 2013 thanks to a joint member.

I worked out (yes me) how to run it on Win 10.

Right-click DVDRun and select troubleshoot compatibility

I an happy that it worked for you Kev, glad to be of assistance.

I may have a go at installing on Win 10 myself now.
barryd likes this.

Barry

Last edited by Matchlock; 03-02-2020 at 18:52.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 18:38

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,103 Times in 956 Posts
Personal Aire
Nice one chaps. Im sure when I installed mine I just stuck it in an directory outside of Program files and ran the installer as administrator and it worked but its a long time since I installed it. The compatibility mode thing is worth giving a go for those that have had issues. I think I may have mentioned though also earlier that W10 in its latest versions seems to be able to run more older programs than it did when it first came out. Well done. That might just solve it for all those that have been having issues.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page