Garmin 770 Camper newbie questions - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 21:05 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellyneck View Post
Try taking the sd card out and formatting it as FAT32 on a laptop \ pc then formatting it again on the sat nav.
OK I found that the card adapter was broken and when I tried another one it formatted the SD card. Then I put it into the sat nav and turned on and was asked to format again. A few seconds later everything is done. So thanks a million for the help. I assume that I can use the card now. Do I use it to store POI files (using POI Loader) or just use the main memory until that is full and then use the SD card. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeirish View Post
OK I found that the card adapter was broken and when I tried another one it formatted the SD card. Then I put it into the sat nav and turned on and was asked to format again. A few seconds later everything is done. So thanks a million for the help. I assume that I can use the card now. Do I use it to store POI files (using POI Loader) or just use the main memory until that is full and then use the SD card. Thanks.
That was going to be my next possibility. If Windows(?) didn't see the card was it (or adapter) faulty?
As said previously, I use Garmin BaseCamp to create routes, etc and transfer these over to the SD card in the sat nav. The "non-standard" option I use \ do though is that the database it uses is located on a USB stick that I can move around between desktops \ laptops so it's always up to date immaterial on which machine I'm using. If you are going to use BaseCamp I suggest you just use the default location on the PC \ laptop.

I store POI's, waypoints, etc on the SD card. The benefit of storing on the SD card is it leaves space on the internal memory for updating the mapping (which Garmin issues 4x \ year) and as the size of these increases every time you really need the space! It will fail if insufficient space is available (well, it'll only install part of the map file - generally either Northern or Southern Europe). You can also remove the SD card and take a copy of the data to your PC \ laptop in case it gets corrupted.

Hopefully everything works OK now with your SD card.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 13:12 Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the help, I now have a sat nav and SD card that works. So trying to see if I can get the sat nav to work as I would like. Here's what I would like to do but I'm not sure if it's possible.

I have a few different POI files and there are some already loaded that contain places to park up, either wild camping or campsites. So is is possible to have all of the pois for my current location (or my destination) displayed, all teh pois from all the different poi files, displayed instead of having to keep changing the categories for MHF, ACSI, Campercontact etc. So imagine we are sitting in our van about to head off somewhere in Spain. Can I get the unit to display campsites etc as we go along from all of our poi files? Ot would I have to combine the contents of all the POI files first into one very large POI file for this to happen?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page