Sat nav question TT v's Garmin - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 24-07-2019, 14:45 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Sat nav question TT v's Garmin

At the turn of the year my TomTom camper 1005 was basically bricked by a map update (along with many other people) after much faffing I did get it going again with limited maps but had lost confidence that it wouldn't let me down in the middle of somewhere I didn't know.
I had always relied totally on it and had been really pleased with it, so bit the bullet and bought their latest 6200, on the face of it a nice replacement, however the first instant dislike problem was, that unless you have a route entered into it your speed and time of day are not shown, also no live service as such. It has got some nice features though.
We've just done 6000Kms to Norway and back and the stupid thing has failed us several times, a few incidents of wanting us to make unnecessary detours whilst on a straightforward motorway route, but most annoying whilst on a 4-500K journey it has done what appeared to be a reboot only for it to then decide it has sent you off on the wrong motorway intersection, which it noticed 24 Km up the wrong way for it to then simply tell you to "make a u turn, turn around when possible".

So I've been looking at the Garmin units, can any owners of them give their views and especially the information as to whether or not the display shows speed and time when no route is planned.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 24-07-2019, 15:59

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Dunno about late models John but I have two of each and much prefer the simplicity of Garmins. Mine are all older units (2015) with lifetime updates so new 2019 mapping bought for about €20 each and so far so good.

Ray.
eurajohn likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 24-07-2019, 16:46

My Motorhome: AutoTrail V-Line 635 SE
Personal Aire
I'd be concerned too.

If it was me, I'd drop a PM to Dougaitkin who knows TomTom well, and (I think) has the ear of TomTom staff. I'd give him specific details of (maybe) three incontrovertible errors, and ask for their thoughts.

A friend has a very old Garmin and told me it was useless,. So I borrowed it from her, found that she'd failed to update for the 20 year rollover in April, visited Garmin's website, and completely updated her device for her, and it now works as intended. Having a play I found it very simple to use and update. When my TomTom kicks the bucket, I'll look at them with renewed enthusiasm.
eurajohn and raynipper like this.

John

For lust of knowing what should not be known
We take the Golden Road to..........................

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 24-07-2019, 16:53

I'm a big fan of sygic , the only thing I have found with it is when towns in France are en route it tends to take you straight through the middle of them., but we have learned to ignore it and follow the ring roads /all route signs until we are back en route again.

eurajohn likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 24-07-2019, 17:54

We've got a Garmin 760 Camper (now discontinued and replaced by 770 with 780 coming soon) and it shows the time when not running a route. Can't remember if it shows the speed though.
We've found it very reliable (OK has the odd glitch like every sat nav!) and you can pre-plan routes on a PC or Mac using BaseCamp.
When a route is running you can set it up to display a number of data elements including direction of travel, speed, distance and time to to next waypoint, distance and time to destination, etc, etc.
Obviously, you can set up dimensions \ weights for the vehicle.
Not cheap but we've found it worth it.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 24-07-2019, 18:53
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
On my third TomTom over the last 16 years. Never a problem.
The latest with Wi Fi updating is really convenient.
Never been tempted by the £300+ models and don't seem to have ever needed one!
Just the odd occasion when we have decided to continue on a main road instead of turning.

Currently have a VIA 53.
eurajohn likes this.

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 25-07-2019, 10:08 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneSmith View Post
I'd be concerned too.

If it was me, I'd drop a PM to Dougaitkin who knows TomTom well, and (I think) has the ear of TomTom staff. I'd give him specific details of (maybe) three incontrovertible errors, and ask for their thoughts.
I have had a lot of very helpful advice from Doug for which I thank him but he can't help with the content that TomTom choose to be shown on the device, TomTom have acknowledged to me that they are aware of the lack of previously available display content, and apparently have no intention of changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellyneck View Post
We've got a Garmin 760 Camper (now discontinued and replaced by 770 with 780 coming soon) and it shows the time when not running a route. Can't remember if it shows the speed though.
We've found it very reliable (OK has the odd glitch like every sat nav!) and you can pre-plan routes on a PC or Mac using BaseCamp.
When doing planning is it possible to enter co-ordinates rather than addresses ? With the TomTom My Drive programme it is not.

John
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 25-07-2019, 16:56

My Motorhome: AutoTrail V-Line 635 SE
Personal Aire
With the elderly Garmin I resolved for a friend, on her device, yes I could enter co-ords.

Funny thing, forums. 🤭

John

For lust of knowing what should not be known
We take the Golden Road to..........................
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 25-07-2019, 17:01

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
My 'expensive' VW built in sat nav you can locate your position and coordinates. But there is no way you can input cords to search a destination?

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 25-07-2019, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post
When doing planning is it possible to enter co-ordinates rather than addresses ? With the TomTom My Drive programme it is not.
Simple answer is "yes". You can also change the input format of co-ordinates.
The 770 Camper LMT-D now seems to be in run-out (as 780 is on it's way) and is down from £350 to £260-280 in various outlets in UK. Possible similar discounts in France.
To assist I've attached (hopefully!) the manual for this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Camper_770_OM_EN.pdf (2.90 MB, 0 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page