Sat nav question TT v's Garmin - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 09:50

Hi Ray

if you go to the TT forum you will see that people who have mentioned the need for an activation code have had their units settings revised where appropriate and been able to update their units.

My Garmin has also updated and at last after over 2 years of directing me past a junction and telling me turn left 20mtrs after it into a single track road with parking places in front of a row of shops before directing me back to the junction it told me to ignore it now does not do it. Instead it still ignores the junction and directs me past the shop parade and to take a 5 mile route to my destination instead of using the turning it did before and just 2 miles to the destination.

I have a Golf and use the TT app in it on CarPlay. The Car has the VW nav system which I do not use because of some of the routing it suggests locally which neither the Garmin or TT units have ever suggested. It does not recommend a route home using an A and a B class road but to go cross country along single track roads that no one locally would use unless all other routes were blocked and would save less than 1/2 an mile on a 6 mile route and I doubt would practically save any time. Like all satnavs it is usually fine between major places its the localised routing that can be an issue.
raynipper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 10:04

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes Doug the VW nav can take some odd routes at times. It's great all the way to Portugal but always insists we take an old logging track just past Madrid.
I do tend to look at the overall map now as and when it suggests taking a small turning and can see a major road ahead.

Don't have any knowledge of CarPlay and my next VW will be a basic model hopefully without too much tech that I will probably never use. Like self parking.
Thanks for your help and I guess my two TT's now updated to 2020 mapping will sit in the drawer until an idle moment sets me on this route again.

Ray.
Dougaitken likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page