Sat nav question TT v's Garmin - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 26-09-2019, 12:53

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
That's very interesting rabbiteer - wish I'd had time to think about that when I had to repair my tomtom shortly before leaving!

I've looked at it n although it says in plenty places that map updates are free, full-stop, it also says for the truck version '3yrs of free map updates' n I can see no costing of map updates for truck after that.

The truck version is considerably more expensive than the car one so I'd like to be clear on the update policy.

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 26-09-2019, 14:58

Hi Jean

I messaged Sygic and the cost of renewing after 3 years for another 3 years is £58.99.

Doug
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 26-09-2019, 15:13

Thanks for that Doug!

Jean

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 26-09-2019, 15:25

My Motorhome: Autocruise Startrail
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post
At the turn of the year my TomTom camper 1005 was basically bricked by a map update (along with many other people) after much faffing I did get it going again with limited maps but had lost confidence that it wouldn't let me down in the middle of somewhere I didn't know.
I had always relied totally on it and had been really pleased with it, so bit the bullet and bought their latest 6200, on the face of it a nice replacement, however the first instant dislike problem was, that unless you have a route entered into it your speed and time of day are not shown, also no live service as such. It has got some nice features though.
We've just done 6000Kms to Norway and back and the stupid thing has failed us several times, a few incidents of wanting us to make unnecessary detours whilst on a straightforward motorway route, but most annoying whilst on a 4-500K journey it has done what appeared to be a reboot only for it to then decide it has sent you off on the wrong motorway intersection, which it noticed 24 Km up the wrong way for it to then simply tell you to "make a u turn, turn around when possible".

So I've been looking at the Garmin units, can any owners of them give their views and especially the information as to whether or not the display shows speed and time when no route is planned.

I too have a1005 TomTom but have not updated it so to avoid the troubles I have heard of, but bought the Go Camper.

The 1005 was so easy to use and never let us down at all, we now use it for the car only.

I like the GoCamper but I am still trying to find out about everything it does.
We are off to Portugal at the end of the year and I will be taking both with us just incase lol

Dave

We LOVE Our "MO"

Dave & Jan
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 26-09-2019, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMotorhomer View Post
I too have a1005 TomTom but have not updated it so to avoid the troubles I have heard of

Dave
I think the problem is with the whole of Europe map (maybe solved by now?)

I solved it by loading a 'lesser' map n it's worked since.
raynipper likes this.

Jean
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 19-10-2019, 17:12

I have been using the Sygic Truck alongside the TT 1005 Camper.

They seem reasonably similar in routes tho the truck may be more realistic than TT regarding duration of the trip.

One thing I've noticed with ST - when you're bowling along a motorway it will sometimes take you off to the roundabout n back on again within about 200m. Really odd. And it will do this maybe 7 or 8 times in a 2hr journey.

Obviously I'm not going off, but if I hadn't TT keeping me right, maybe I would?

How do I know when there's an update to the Truck maps? I got an email about update to Sygic GPS but I think that's just the car navigation (which I'd downloaded and subscribed to in error. Well, their error really - I followed their instructions.

Jean
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 19-10-2019, 19:54

My Motorhome: I drive...
Hi I'm looking to replace our very old TT but don't fancy paying £300+ for Garmin or TT, has anyone had experience of Sat Navs from Amazon such as OHREX SAT NAV, 7 inch Touch Screen For Car Truck HGV Lorry Motorhome or Aonerex Sat Nav for Car Truck Lorry Motorhome at around £60-70. Reviews are not bad but would like to know if anyone from the forum has one of these.

Last edited by Elddis Man; 19-10-2019 at 19:56.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 19-10-2019, 20:06

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes. I bought one a few years ago for about £60 and it was brilliant until the sun came out. The screen was impossible in even moderate sunlight. The supplier even sent me a sun shade but it didn't make any difference. But the unit was great.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page