Sat nav question TT v's Garmin - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 25-07-2019, 16:02 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneSmith View Post
With the elderly Garmin I resolved for a friend, on her device, yes I could enter co-ords.

Funny thing, forums. 🤭

No I didn't mean on the unit but on the computer software programme that TomTom call My Drive.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 25-07-2019, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post
No I didn't mean on the unit but on the computer software programme that TomTom call My Drive.
If you were asking about entering co-ordinates into BaseCamp the answer is still "yes".
eurajohn and HurricaneSmith like this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 25-07-2019, 20:13

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Personal Aire
I have the latest Garmin Drive Luxe. It navigates faultlessly, even by voice command.
Best of all for motorhomers you can get a reversing camera to go with it. Using it is as simple as “show video” or “hide video”.
eurajohn likes this.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 25-07-2019, 23:20

Hi Eurojohn

I am afraid I have to disagree with you that you cannot enter co-ordinates in My Drive . I have the My Drive App and the Mapcodes App on my phone and I can locate a precise position in the Mapcodes app and be given an Address, a mapcode and the Long/Lat for the position. I can then press on the Long/Lat and copy the info to the clipboard. I then Paste that data into the MyDrive app and it immediately finds the position and then I can send that destination to my Tomtom unit so when I turn it on it receives it and works out a route. MyDrive does not recognise mapcodes although all the Tomtom PDN's and Phone apps do.

I have also got a Garmin and I have been disappointed with it. There are many good features and some not so good and regrettably the main not so good has been its routing. Re co-ordinates you have to have pre informed it what format of Long/Lat data you are going to enter. It will recognise various formats whereas the Tomtom only recognises probably the 3 most common formats and you don't have to pre tell it what version you are entering.

Traffic is not as good and I have not found its ability to offer during a journey faster routes as good. My main concern has been its routing. For the last 2 to 3 years its routing around where I live which is not far from London has been truly diabolical. Now the fact that it was not good in the area I live in did not give me confidence as to what it will do in areas I do not know. This was confirmed for example by the way it directs you into a dead end behind some houses when trying to get to the main campsite in Moffat.Following a recent update some of the routing has been sorted to the extent it will now route to where we live coming from the South using a A and B road which until now it has totally refused to use. This means the route is now 9 miles not 23 miles however when it gets to the junction with the B road it directs me past it then in through a shopping parades car park then out the other end and back to the junction and directs me to take it. So not all the anomalies have been sorted. No way would I say that Tomtom units are not capable of some odd things but generally I have found them pretty good.

One problem with the GO6200 is it is a car device and you cannot programme it for large vehicles. Many find that no problem and I used a Car unit for years and managed quite happily.

Someone mentioned Sygic. Well I have tried that as well as Google and Waze to compare it with the new Tomtom Go Navigation app which is now available in a CarPlay version. I agreed with someones comment that at the moment Sygic gives more detail on route delays however it is lacking in other areas not least it did not tel me what the delay would be if I followed its directions into a Gated Field.

Generally all of the GPS units will get you to where you want to go but it is the finite detail as you get off some of the major routes that becomes the problem and some are better than others.

Raynipper mentioned that he has an expensive satnav in his VW and it will accept co-ordinates. Well I have a similar Satnav in my new Golf and rather than recommend the A and B roads I mentioned earlier it recommends cutting across country down very narrow windy roads with very few places to pass cross weak bridges and through width restrictions. I have lived here for over 35 years and I don't know anyone who would go that way. Someone once raved about how good a particular App was. When I asked them to produce an example of the route it would recommend funnily enough it looks as thou it was being taught by VW.

Generally all you can do is try and get as much information as you can on what these GPS units and Apps are like then get one and really get to understand how it works. At the end of it all do not follow them blindly because if you don't like the road in front of you or where you are being directed then don't go there. Instinct has a habit of being right.

Regarding Tomtom I have helped a few sort out problems with their Tomtom units You only have to go not their Forum and you will be able to find out how to resolve some of the problems that can arise.

Doug
HurricaneSmith and raynipper like this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 26-07-2019, 07:00

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Thanks Doug but just a minor correction. My VW sat nav does not have any facility to input Long & Lat info at all. But when you have arrived you can show the Long, Lat location.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 26-07-2019, 10:42

Hi Ray

Re the VW Satnag it is just the same as the Current Tomtom units which will only tell you the Long/Lat for your current position. I find the Mapcode App can be very helpful if you know a postcode and it is in a rural area as you can then locate the actual place you want and even the exact entrance. We are going to a Campsite in a couple of weeks with my Son and his family and it is no good giving hime the Post Code as we may never see them. The site is a very quiet one which is within a Farm complex and there is no signage at the entrance. The Postcode is about 1/2 a mile away. I will give them a Mapcode, which is shorter than a Postcode and takes them right into the complex and the Campsite entrance. I can also do the same to the barriers at a Campsite in Spain. Mapcodes can nearly specify a parking lot in a car park or a pitch on a campsite.

Mapcodes only work on Tomtom units and are worldwide but even if you have not got a TT unit you can use it to get Long/Lat details. If you have a Tomtom and are not in the UK if you input GBR DH.FX and accept the search result then you get a route to the middle gate at Buckingham Palace. You don't need the GBR if you are in the UK just the DH.FX

Like all satnags the VW is okay from major point to major point but when it recommended the route locally to get home it does shatter your faith of what will happen when you are in an unfamiliar area.

I have started using the new Tomtom Go Navigator App as it is now compatible with CarPlay. It is very good at what it does but has a long way to go to do everything I would like it to do. Part of the problem is the restrictions that Apple place upon using the system. Tomtom have an Android App which I think is going to be uprated to be similar to a CarPlay version later this year. The Android app does a number of things that the IOS version cannot do, for example you can send a destination from the Tomtom My Drive App to your Mobile App but you can't from the IOS MyDrive App to the IOS mobile App, all I am sure because of Apple. Hopefully they will sort these anomalies out meanwhile I like what I see so far.

Happy travels and I hope it has not been too hot for you.

Doug
raynipper likes this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 26-07-2019, 20:19 Thread Starter

Hi Doug, thanks for that in depth reply full of information as usual.
I've not tried any method of entering co-ordinates other than typing into the boxes and for me they always fail to display the location.

As you know I have previously been an avid fan of TomTom, but this latest one I purchased after my previous one being rendered useless via a map update has seen me very disappointed.

The lack of, what for me are necessary aspects of a stand alone sat nav coupled with the numerous nasties I encountered during our recent trip has soured my relationship with TomTom.
Something I've not bothered to mention previously is that I find the touch screen of my 6200 far less precise than my old 1005, more akin to a budget unit than the premium one that the 6200 is supposed to be.

John
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 27-07-2019, 09:17

Hi Eurojohn

Sorry to hear you are struggling with your GO6200 and the screen in particular. I don't seem to have any such problem but SHMBO can Tap away on the Tomtom or her phone and nothing will happen. It annoys her when I just casually Tap the same point she has been and it works immediately.

Regarding the problem you had following a recent Map update I would suggest the following.

If you only have one map on your GO6200 then add a small map as well. I have added the Map for Venezuela which you will find in the list of World Maps and is only about 30mb in size. This will load onto your Internal memory and you leave it there untouched after you have checked it is working okay. The benefit is that if during an update of the European Map you have a problem you can finish up with a NO Map situation and so the unit will not start. By adding the small map then you have a map on the device so you can start the unit normally and then reinstall the missing map.

Another problem could be your PC. The PC manufacturers are putting Settings in their PC's that help give longer battery life and these can cause problems with larger downloads. These settings often affect the USB sockets on the units and they can turn themselves off before your downloads have finished resulting in a failure. On the Tomtom Forum there are some posts that help you check the settings on your PC and what to do about them. These can involve making some Registry changes as the PC makers have made it more difficult to find where to make some of these changes. If for example you have a Windows Surface Pro PC then you are very likely to have problems and you will need to change the settings.

Doug
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 27-07-2019, 11:19 Thread Starter

Hi again Doug, the update problem I referred to was reference my 1005 camper, not its replacement the 6200.
From your help some while ago and following your recommendations I did eventually get the 1005 going again and gave it to my Son-in-Law to use, I'd loaded just the French map on to it and recently he was off on a trip which took him out of France, when we tried to change the map we encountered all the original problems so left it at that.

Personally I struggle to use the TT forum, probably because I'm not a regular user.

For me it seems that in recent years each improvement TT make they unintentionally make the thing worse, or at least less user friendly and remove some of the features I and many others find / found useful.

Their help service has definitely deteriorated, I think they have now outsourced that to other parts of the world than Holland.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page