RIP Copilot - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:56 Thread Starter

RIP Copilot

For Copilot, now read CONpilot.

Some 5 years ago I bought the Europe HD package. Works great, wouldn’t be without it. The vehicle profile page allows my to pick “Caravan” (actually an icon showing a motor home). I then set the type of roads I prefer and the speeds I am likely to do on them. I was promised “lifetime” updates. This it transpires to only mean until they decide your package is to be “retired”.

Switching on the other day I was prompted to transfer to the New app. All my licenses, preferences etc etc would be read across. Untrue. On the new version I can no longer set roads/speeds etc. The motor home icon has gone, just a car left. And now they claim roads/speeds are predetermined by them.

I did a test. Plumbing in a journey I regularly make in the UK on the old app it showed I would take 5 1/2 hours in my camper, which is about right. Switch to the new app and Wow, I’m going to get there in just over 4. But NO, mister Copilot, I’m not driving your car, I’m in my much slower camper. But I can no longer set this.

I then find out if I want to retain this feature I need to take out a new yearly subscription for the “caravan” app.

So much for all my licenses etc being transferred. Seems that apps not making enough money are killed off. I will continue using the excellent old HD version until it becomes unusable then look for an alternative.
nickkdx and dghr272 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:39

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Hmm, hope mine doesn't go the same way, but the MoHo has gone.

I'd make a pleasant but firm complaint, they may not realise what effect it has on some of their customers.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 17:03

I had the same problem last year with Copilot, new version didn’t show correct speed limits, so sent various messages to them and in the end they said download this app and they refunded the cost.
But it’s froze on a few occasions lately, which is annoying when you don’t notice straight away.
I think it’s getting close to getting a stand alone Satnav

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 18:33

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I still have several Nick. Two TomToms with 2018 mapping.

Ray.
nickkdx likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 22:39

I think I read recently on the CoPilot website that they were withdrawing the truck version as it doesn't work properly. much the same as many phone based satnavs if you read the various user forums.

I just downloaded Sygic app for cars for £9.95 I wouldn't risk the truck version for £67.

Even some of the much advertised stand alone satnavs for motorhomes and caravans seem to route users down unsuitable roads.

I am happy with my Garmin Car satnav but I do review the route (usually!)

Steve
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 20:42

My Motorhome: Swift KonTiki 669
Personal Aire
I'm in the same boat, paid for the original version plus annual live traffic subsription, duped into updating to latest version which has rendered it useless for me, I complained via a review on the app store but was told I would need to sign up to an annual licence for the caravan version. Others were offered the upgrade free but it's still an annual renewal. I would have considered investing in the caravan version but the reviews for that are pretty poor too.

Such a shame that a top notch app which worked well and had great reviews has taken such a nosedive

Before you criticise someone walk a mile in their shoes, that way you are a mile away and have their shoes too
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 14-05-2019, 09:21

My Motorhome: RS Endeavour
Personal Aire
This is all news to me. I have both the truck and caravan versions running on separate tablets. I have had the truck version in use at least three years without encountering any problems. The last time I used it was yesterday! I don't often use the caravan version which was only purchased cheaply out of curiosity. Looks like I will have to be careful not to update????? It would be useful to know the version numbers of those in trouble. Both my tablets are not to hand so I cannot currently check them to see what is going on. However I recall reading they were going to withdraw the ability to define road preferences because new alogarithms now took care of the routing acording to the type of vehicle selected. I have no problem with that as long as it does what it is supposed to do.

peedee

The best journeys are not always in straight lines.
To read about our travels visit >this page< Latest updates 6th March 2019

Last edited by peedee; 14-05-2019 at 09:23.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 14-05-2019, 15:00

My Motorhome: Swift KonTiki 669
Personal Aire
Peedee, the update is instantly recogniseable as they changed the app icon, it now looks like white steering wheel on a black background - or at least it does on an Apple phone/tablet

PS the HGV version subscription is now £8.99 a month

Before you criticise someone walk a mile in their shoes, that way you are a mile away and have their shoes too

Last edited by Kaytutt; 14-05-2019 at 15:02.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaytutt For This Useful Post:
peedee (14-05-2019)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 14-05-2019, 15:18

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
They hook you in with a reasonable price then ramp up the cost, Maps.me is doing similarly by having ads you have to subscribe to get rid of which as one of the few who bought it in the early days pisses me off greatly.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 14-05-2019, 17:08

My Motorhome: RS Endeavour
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaytutt View Post
Peedee, the update is instantly recogniseable as they changed the app icon, it now looks like white steering wheel on a black background - or at least it does on an Apple phone/tablet

PS the HGV version subscription is now £8.99 a month

That is the icon I have but I am not paying a suscription, perhaps that is because I bought it outright over 3 years ago. I have checked the version and it is 10.9.0.273. My caravan version is also showing the steering wheel and is version 10.11.1.19. I purchased this last year for £30 and I have not so far paid anything more. The maps on both are dated 2018, quarter 3 on the caravan version. Not sure what my truck map quarter is. Following a Company re-organisation I understood there is only one version now and they are going to concentrate on the commercial business. I willl have to see how things develop but it looks like unless you are driving a commercial vehicle/large motorhome best find another supplier for cars etc.

peedee

The best journeys are not always in straight lines.
To read about our travels visit >this page< Latest updates 6th March 2019

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page