Another Tomtom problem / question - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

6Likes
  • 2 Post By Dougaitken
  • 1 Post By eurajohn
  • 2 Post By Penquin
  • 1 Post By Dougaitken

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 20:40 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Another Tomtom problem / question

Having been forced to buy a replacement unit after suffering the well documented problems with my old 1005 Camper unit, I bought a 6200.

There are quite a few features of the new one I like, but am finding many items from the old unit no longer available, the current time is not displayed on screen unless you have a journey programmed.

Have just realised a very useful feature of the old unit can't be found!
Where am I simply by asking the old unit where we were our exact position address was displayed.

I've yet to find if the co-ordinates can be displayed.

Anyone solved these annoyances, or indeed found nay items missing from their old unit no longer available on their new one.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 22:36

Hi John

The GO6200 is very different to your old unit. There are a number of things you cannot do with the new unit that you could on the old. Most relate to POI files in that whilst you can add Poi files to the unit you cannot install the .bmp files which gave you POI identifying icons on the map such as Tesco or Camping Club. On the unit you can select one of Five generic icons which are only a colour button.The trick is to give similar POI files like Sainsburys and Tesco the same colour button. You can click on the colour icon on the map and get a sub menu with more details to what is there. You also cannot Create or Manage Poi files and Poi's on the unit.

Regrading other things you can do then there are many. Get the hang of the MyDrive website where you can create routes and send them to you unit so that when you turn it on the route is there ready for you to start your journey. Also you can create routes in mydrive and save them there. You can save a reversed version of the route as well. You can add Poi files to your Account in MyDrive and when you turn your unit on the Routes and Poi files are synced to the device. All you My Places you save on the GO 6200 should sync back to MyDrive as well. With all theis data in MyDrive it is your Backup for the Unit. If you have to do a Factory Reset on it for any reason wherever you are and have a connection via the inbuilt sim it syncs back to your account and then reloads all your MyPlaces POifiles and Route Files back on the unit. You don't need a computer except to use the MYDrive website.

You should also look at the MyDrive app where you can create routes on your phone and have them sync to the GO 6200. Also have a look at the Mapcodes App where you can see things on a satellite map like google and find ,addresses, Long/Lat and Mapcodes for precise spots. It works world wide. If you go to search on your GO 6200 and insert DH.FX it will direct you to the middle gate at Buck House.

If you have set it up with Bluetooth with your Phone you can have Handsfree calls and it can read out any messages you get if you have the MyDrive app running on your phone in the background. Also If you have a Mifi I have used that to help me with Traffic when Tomtom had a problem with connecting to the Inbuilt Sims for a while and I was in the middle of a massive traffic jam. You connect the Mifi to the GO6200's wifi and it
connected to Tomtom's servers and delivered Traffic. Got me out of a mess.

Do not confuse MyDrive Connect software and the MYDrive website as they are very different. You really only need the Mydrive Connect software to update the unit if your Wifi connection is slowish. The unit connects to the internet via wifi itself and does all updates and map downloads itself. You have 16gb of internal memory and yo might consider adding a 16gb or Max 32gb Micro SD class 10 card so you can add more maps. Never leave your unit without a map. You the routes are related to the maps they relate to and you can only export route from the the GO6200 if the map it relates to is on the internal memory. You can move maps around but as I say never not have a map on the unit. One tip/trick is to load the Venezuela map which is very very small on the unit. This will load itself on the Internal memory. Leave it there at all times as your safety net. If when you go to Maps and Add maps and you don't see a list of maps contact Tomtom support and get them to sort your account out as they are all free. Traffic will only work in Europe as that is where you have bought the unit.

Hope the above is of interest. Should keep you occupied.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Doug
Penquin and A14GAS like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dougaitken For This Useful Post:
eurajohn (11-04-2019)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 23:42

Hi again John

Forgot to cover Coordinates.

Regrading Coordinates. If You Tap Menu, then Tap Whole Map top Right of the screen, Scroll down to Coordinates and tap that. Now you can add Coordinates. The 3 samples they show are the formats the unit accepts without you having to designate which one you are going to enter and are the Coordinates of your Current position.

You cannot find the Coordinates of a position for anywhere else unless you are there. Use the Mapcode App to do that. Mapcodes are Tomtom specific probably because they were devised by the originators of Tomtom about 20 years ago. A mapscode can virtually direct you to a specific Bay in a Carpark. given or take a few feet.

Doug
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dougaitken For This Useful Post:
eurajohn (11-04-2019), Penquin (11-04-2019)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 10:05 Thread Starter

Doug, once again thank you so much, your depth of knowledge on these units is more than impressive.

These latest units seem to me to be more sophisticated (complicated) than is needed but then I guess that is progress.

No doubt the younger generation have no trouble finding their way around such things, (as well as you )

Penquin likes this.

John
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 10:15 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougaitken View Post
Hi again John

Forgot to cover Coordinates.

Regrading Coordinates. If You Tap Menu, then Tap Whole Map top Right of the screen, Scroll down to Coordinates and tap that. Now you can add Coordinates. The 3 samples they show are the formats the unit accepts without you having to designate which one you are going to enter and are the Coordinates of your Current position.

You cannot find the Coordinates of a position for anywhere else unless you are there. Use the Mapcode App to do that. Mapcodes are Tomtom specific probably because they were devised by the originators of Tomtom about 20 years ago. A mapscode can virtually direct you to a specific Bay in a Carpark. given or take a few feet.

Doug
On my unit I tap menu but then don't have "whole map" , I've found that if I go menu, drive to, I get the option to enter Lat and long.
the application version of my unit is 18.202.0024.411 (0) (05/12/2018 ) don't know if that is the reason for differences or not.

John
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 10:19

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Having had an appalling experience with the TomTom Trucker we have vowed to keep our present Go Live 1005 until it dies and then move to another manufacturer.

TT have made their units over-complex and forgotten that most people do not have a desire to go through loads of different options to find and do what they want. Your explanation of Coordinates above is excellent BUT.......

The Trucker one we had for three months was incapable of finding an address in Barnet....

It also refused to avoid driving THROUGH the centre of small French villages even though the ring roads were in the maps..... The dependence on using a smart phone made it a non-starter for us as we do not use mobile data.

To us, it was progress in a backward direction. 😤
eurajohn and raynipper like this.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 11:55

HI John

You are right I forgot to mention Tap Search after Tap Menu. Senility creeps on I note your comment re the younger generation. That doe snot include me. I was nearly killed by Hitler when in my Pram

Now you are going to say I don't get Tap Search. Well I strongly recommend you do the following.

Tap Menu
Tap Settings
Tap System
Tap Choose a Search Mode which on yours is saying 'Step By Step'
Change the search to 'Quick Search'

the reason for this is the Step By Step Search system has a problem with post Codes in Rural areas in the UK. The reason is that after you put the Postcode in it asks you for more information such as Road name and many don't have a name or you will not know it. Changing it to Quick Search cures this problem and I am sure you will find that that method more than meets your needs. Step by Step will work on the continent where. aPost Code can be a whole Village or a large part of a town and the road detail can find what you are looking for

When you change the Setting to Quick Search you will see when you Tap Menu it now says Search not Drive to. that's how I know what you have it set to.

By the way if you Tap Menu and then hold your Finger on one of the options for a second or so a couple of arrows appear at bottom of the icon and you can move it . This means you can rearrange the order the icons appear. So if you wanted Settings to appear on the first screen then you can move it so it does.

Doug

Last edited by Dougaitken; 11-04-2019 at 12:13.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dougaitken For This Useful Post:
eurajohn (11-04-2019)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 12:07

Hi Penguin

Eurojohns GO unit does not need a smart phone to work unless you want to use the ability to use it as a handsfree unit and to read`messages to you. It has an inbuilt Mobile Sim that downloads the data at no extra cost to him. Going through villages could be because of the settings you had in it. For example if you set the max speed lowish then it could be just as quick a far as the unit is concerned when calculating the route to go straight through village,. You could also overstate the vehicle size to help avoid villages.

I also have a Garmin camper. It takes me through Shop Parade roads and then returns to the junction it passed to get to the shops. It also takes me left into a Deadend going to One campsite I have been to instead of going another 100yds and turning Right towards the site..

Doug
eurajohn likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page