GPS Roll-Over: IMPORTANT - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 12:29

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,103 Times in 956 Posts
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougaitken View Post
Hi @barryd

There is MDC software for the latest Windows 10 etc and is the first link, the second link is for XP or Vista. They also off er MDC software for different Mac systems.

Doug
I couldnt find it. Only the one that seems to be for Vista and XP. Actually in this link https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mydrive-connect/ There is an option that says Windows and one below it that says Windows Vista XP but the file size of the windows one is the same as the one I installed so maybe it was the right one I dunno. It always was terrible software though but hopefully Ive resolved the issue anyway.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 13-05-2019, 14:52

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Just to report, I took the TomTom out yesterday and all is well. Clearly it was the GPS roll over problem then.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
Christine600 (13-05-2019)
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 13-05-2019, 16:18

Hi @barryd

SShhhhh

Doug

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 13-05-2019, 18:03

My Motorhome: Charisma
Trying this now on my TT Truck - it lost the GPS connection a while back. Didn't think it was that old - but we'll see. A really slow and huge download this!
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 13-05-2019, 18:09

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine600 View Post
Trying this now on my TT Truck - it lost the GPS connection a while back. Didn't think it was that old - but we'll see. A really slow and huge download this!
Careful. Are you sure your not downloading a massive map update? My GPS update took no time at all and our connection is crap here. I remember there was two other options I could have ticked one of which was a new map at over 4GB. Ive never bothered updating the map as Ive heard so many horror stories about TomTom map updates the main one being that half the time they do not fit on the device.

The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 13-05-2019, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Careful. Are you sure your not downloading a massive map update?

That too. First a core update - went very fast. Then it updated itself and presented more options - a map and speed cameras.

I guess the core update was the rollover fix then. So I should be OK.

Thank you for the warning though!
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 13-05-2019, 18:27

HI @Christine600

Definitely sounds like a map update you are doing. If you have lost the GPS signal then try the following. Fully charge the unit for about 2 hours. then go outside well away from buildings and trees and do a Soft Reset. IE Turn the unit on then when working hold the ON/OFF button down for about 20 seconds until you hear a drumroll sound then let the button go. When it is now ready after restarting create a route on it and when it would be ready if you were to drive off leave it in the open for as much as 30 minutes to see if it locks on to the Sats. Once it has done that it should be okay.

The Navcore update was not specifically for the Roll over. The roll Over updates have been available for download since last July. so many have been ready for it for months.

HI @barryd

When my GO5000 was first issued the European map was less than 6.5gb whereas now it is 8.9gb. The simple solution is to add a micro SD card either 16gb or max 32gb and then the map is loaded there. One tip for you is when the map switches to the external memory then contact Customer Support and ask them to allocate a small map so you can load it onto your internal memory. You just leave the map there in case you have any trouble with the European map as that map ensures you can start the TT unit up and sort the problem out.

Doug

Last edited by Dougaitken; 13-05-2019 at 18:33.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dougaitken For This Useful Post:
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 13-05-2019, 18:33

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougaitken View Post
HI @Christine600

Definitely sounds like a map update you are doing. If you have lost the GPS signal then try the following. Fully charge the unit for about 2 hours. then go outside well away from buildings and trees and do a Soft Reset. IE Turn the unit on then when working hold the ON/OFF button down for about 20 seconds until you hear a drumroll sound then let the button go. When it is now ready after restarting create a route on it and when it would be ready if you were to drive off leave it in the open for as much as 30 minutes to see if it locks on to the Sats. Once it has done that it should be okay.

HI @barryd

When my GO5000 was first issued the European map was less than 6.5gb whereas now it is 8.9gb. The simple solution is to add a micro SD card either 16gb or max 32gb and then the map is loaded there. One tip for you is when the map switches to the external memory then contact Customer Support and ask them to allocate a small map so you can load it onto your internal memory. You just leave the map there in case you have any trouble with the European map as that map ensures you can start the TT unit up and sort the problem out.

Doug
Thanks Doug. I have a feeling my Start 25 does not have a micro SD Slot but Im not certain. Its a 4gb version and the new map is bigger than that. Im not bothered anyway. Roads dont change that much.

post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 13-05-2019, 18:38

Hi @barryd

The Start 25 4gb internal memory units have an extra memory card slot. It will take up to 32gb Micro SD class 10 memory card and suggest if you get one it is Sandisk, Samsung or similar major maker and from a reliable source. Some of the lesser known makes have been known not to work.

Some years ago a friend of mine followed me from Santander to Valencia with his Tomtom unit on. Unfortunately he had the original map supplied with the unit which was a few years out of date. He could not believe how many fields he went through .

Doug
barryd likes this.

Last edited by Dougaitken; 13-05-2019 at 18:41.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 14-05-2019, 21:39

My updates yesterday finally completed - and the GPS is working again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page