Tomtom camper older version bricked by last update - Page 7 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 97 (permalink) Old 19-01-2019, 11:40

My Motorhome: I drive... Autocruise Stargazer
Copied from Tom Tom forum for you. Hope this helps. Oops sorry this has been said already. Only read page 1.
OK
I will tell you how I have succeeded:
- hold the start button until drum sound is heard.
- wait 10 to 20 seconds
- press the start button again to switch off
- briefly press the start button again
repeat until the device starts normally

When the device has started:
- connect the device directly to the computer
- download a smaller part of the map (not as usual the entire map)

Connection to the PC is only possible if the device has been started normally.

The problem is whether:
- a defective map
- a stack overflow
- tomtom software can not handle large maps

Last edited by steviegtr; 19-01-2019 at 11:43.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steviegtr For This Useful Post:
DJMotorhomer (19-01-2019), Dougaitken (19-01-2019), Pudsey_Bear (19-01-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 18:16

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I forgot all about this problem when I decided to load the full European map as it was the only one including all the countries I needed for my upcoming trip to Croatia. I didn't want to be having to change maps when away as my experience of downloading maps from TT is almost exclusively dire.

Anyway, I've ended up with a bricked TT 1005 camper.

Before I start trying the solutions given by trek, I'd like to ask a question about using the SD card. My Drive Connect sees it OK but it hasn't ever had anything on it. I'd assumed that the full map would be too large for the main memory and would automatically be loaded on to the SD card but no. In fact, I think the full Europe map seems to be much the same size as the Zone 4 I had before.

Anyway, what advantage/disadvantage is there to loading the map on to the SD card, and (if there's an advantage) how to do it?

Jean
post #63 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
If your unit ainít working and you want me to try to fix it you can post it to me , though I would need the email and password for your tomtom account

Though you could change this before and after for security

Otherwise have a go yourself

Its time consuming and frustrating

With the pc at the ready and tomtom my drive connect started and you logged in On tomtom account

Get hold of tomtom device Make sure battery charged or plug it into a usb charger , but not the PC

Switch on tomtom by holding down on/off button long enough for the drum roll to sound

Let unit run for about 15 to 20 seconds and press on/off long enough for unit to switch off

Then press on /off button briefly enough to start unit and leave to start up

Fingers crossed it starts ok But it may take you many many times to just get the sequence right

If its ok remove it from usb power supply donít allow it to shut off so be ready to press cancel

Connect it to PC usb port and mydrive connect should recognise it

Go to manage map and change it from full map to zone map this should then download to device
Hi Trek - I have tried this many times without success. I just want to check - when I do the emboldened step I get nothing unless I hold the button down long enough for the drum roll. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong here?

Jean

post #64 of 97 (permalink) Old 13-03-2019, 13:28

I spoke to TT last night and they say they are aware of it (!) and working on a solution. We shall see....

I did notice a recommendation for CoPilot Caravan. Anyone tried it?

At £35 I might go for that if TT don't have a solution within the next week.

Jean
post #65 of 97 (permalink) Old 13-03-2019, 20:14

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
I'm surprised and impressed that they have admitted to you there actually is a problem caused by them, even more impressed they claim to be working on a solution.
In the many contacts I have made both via telephone and mails to the help line and their forum, I have received nothing but total denial that there is any fault on their part, and that support for our device (1005 camper) has ended and that they cannot even offer repairs.

I reluctantly purchased a 6200 as it appeared that my device was now useless.

I for one will be keen to hear what (if any) results you have with them.

John
post #66 of 97 (permalink) Old 13-03-2019, 21:37

Hi

Someone posted this on the Tomtom Forum this evening.

Laborious but he cracked it.

"After many hours I have "fixed" my Go Live 1005
This is how -
As stated in this thread, when the satav boots it seems to check the map file before launching the application, If the map has errors it does not boot. Mine was "hanging" on the startup picture when booting then after 3-5 minutes it re-booted and hung again, which all points to a faulty map file.

The computer would not connect to the satnav at all.

I found that if i tapped the screen with my finger after switching on the satnav it distracted the software from the map checking and the Tomtom application booted, but unfortunately it hung and after a while it rebooted again.

I also found that if the computer was plugged in and running My Drive Connect it connected to the satnav briefly until the satnav rebooted. It connected long enough to initiate the download of the new map from Tomtom to the PC.

I then I waited untill the map was on the PC and followed the above procedure to allow the PC to connect to the satnav. After a few connections by the PC it deleted the old, faulty map on the satnav, probably with the intention of then updating it but the satnav re-booted (as usual) but this time when it rebooted it reported that there was NO MAP !! and asked to be connected to the PC to download one.

At that point it transferred the new map from the pc and installed it and all is well.

This procedure is all down to timing and patience but it worked for me.

In a nutshell, distract the software on booting so it launches the application.

As it only last a few minutes before rebooting, connect the PC and download the map.

Wait until the map is on the PC before booting and distracting the satnav again, keep doing this until My Drive Connect has deleted the faulty file and then the satnav will run software to reinstall the downloaded map."

Worth a try if you have the patience or the time. Load a Mapzone not the same map if you crack it.

Doug
eurajohn likes this.
post #67 of 97 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 13:45

Hi eurajohn

Why don't you go to here and log into your TT account and Browse the Forum. There is a Topic re the 1005 problem and on there a TT rep has said they are looking at it.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussions

Doug
post #68 of 97 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 19:42

I see 2 people have said on the TT forum that trying the above suggested solution has worked for them.

Doug
post #69 of 97 (permalink) Old 14-03-2019, 20:16

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Hi Doug, I did see something about this yesterday on TomTom site after your info above and gave it a try, but at moment I still can't get the unit to see the computer (or the other way around), but will keeps trying as per the above suggestion.

John
post #70 of 97 (permalink) Old 15-03-2019, 00:22

My Motorhome: AutoTrail V-Line 635 SE
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougaitken View Post
.................. but this time when it rebooted it reported that there was NO MAP !! and asked to be connected to the PC to download one.

At that point it transferred the new map from the pc and installed it and all is well.....................
I'm used to seeing the NO MAP message and ignore it. I suppose that for space reasons it really does delete the mapping data before downloading the update. (All Poi's are safely retained.)

For me, major map updates take an hour to download to the pc and then install and so I walk away and leave it to talk to itself for a bit. It doesn't like that, pretends my device isn't connected, and shows the NO MAP warning.

I simply unplug and reconect the cable between the pc and device, it thinks about it, and then carries on where it left off.

John

For lust of knowing what should not be known
We take the Golden Road to..........................

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page