Tomtom camper older version bricked by last update - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 16-01-2019, 21:55

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
trek, your welcome to have a try, but I have tried repeated times.
The problem now, is that after getting the black screen with the set up info and 3 quick presses, turning cogs it communicates with the laptop and starts the My Drive application and reports that it is updating the device, after a short while it stops and re-boots after that the laptop reports that the device is not connected, so have no idea how to do anything with it.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 16-01-2019, 22:52 Thread Starter

Had that with the first of the two duff devices

I asked tomtom support to push out to the device the last update again Which is downloaded when you connect in this way

it downloded it eventually the following day There were problems on tomtoms servers and network when i was trying this

Also worth you trying to start it normally after one of these failed cog gear sessions using the method described (i.e. drumroll /off/ back on)

But got ther eventually as i said it is very frustrating and needs to be attempted many times before it just kicks in

Try alternating between the two

Also try the cog gear reinstall method with mydrive connect open on pc and logged into your account

Are you also using the supplied tomtom usb cable with mount , it can make a difference over apparently

Last edited by trek; 16-01-2019 at 22:58.
post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 16-01-2019, 23:08 Thread Starter

Hi penguin

Can you not turn off pois on these new type tomtomís ?

And add your own poiís Eg aires from campingcarinfo etc ?

Aire POIís :-

https://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/recherche.php
eurajohn likes this.

post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 17-01-2019, 11:25

Hi penquin

Regarding your comments as follows:-

'They also have to be programmed via a phone so if you do not have 3G you are in a hole - programming on the machine is virtually impossible. Any favourites or POI's that you identify are NOT stored on the machine but on the cloud so if you have no internet access forget it. You cannot even navigate to home without using your phone to plan it.

I cannot agree with your comments as they certainly do not apply to the Tomtom GO Camper of other similar units.

You do not have to have a phone to programme the unit. I have for example 34 3rd Party Files loaded on my unit in addition to the POI's installed as part of the Map. I can search my POI files on the unit, select and the Unit will calculate a route , with 2 Alternatives if you ask it, even if the inbuilt Sim has not connected to the TT servers because you are indoors for example. The only thing with this is that until the unit connects to the Satellites it cannot confirm its current position and so works on the basis it is at the position it was when it was last switched off as do all other GPS units. If you are indoors you can specify a route between 2 specific points and when you go outside and connect to the Satellites the unit can then calculate a route to the Start of your planned route from your current position if necessay. It does not need the Phone for this but does need the phone connection if it is a model with no inbuilt sim in order to get Traffic Data. On my Wifi units if the unit cannot connect via the inbuilt Sim I can try logging onto a Mifi and get the traffic via the internet. Once the connection for the Traffic has been established then the unit will update the routing accordingly.

I agree if you are out of range of any acceptable Mobile Phone signal there are some limitations but it does not result in the units not being able to suggests routes for you or prevent you accessing Poi files and Favourites.

All my POI files and Favourites are loaded in my unit and so are independent of the Cloud. They are also stored on TT's servers via the Cloud so if I ever need to restore them onto my unit I can and via the inbuilt Sim wherever I am in Europe for example and at no cost to me. Also because they are stored on the TT servers they are available for route planning on my PC via the MYDrive website.

Regarding your comment that you cannot even navigate to Home without your phone this is totally wrong. I recently had a problem with traffic with Major road works and a premier League football match in the Bournemouth Area. My unit still calculated a route Home but because of an unusual outage on the TT servers there was no Traffic data via the inbuilt Sim. I was able to connect to the TT servers via a Mifi and the unit helped get me around the terrible traffic. On a model relying on the Internal Sim only or a Phone for Data the journey would have been longer because of the lack of Traffic but it will still direct you to your destination recalculating if you take a wrong turning..

I can also allocate a Symbol to all my 3rd Party Aires Files and as a result have the Symbol mark all the Aires positions on the Map.

I can also preplan Routes and store them on my unit as well as in the Cloud. I can then select a route on the unit when required and even send my route to my unit from my PC or phone so that it appears ready to go on the unit after a turn it on. If the unit has a problem connecting via its sim the route is loaded on the unit anyway.

If there is a problem connecting to the mobile Phone system then most makes of GPS units will be effected except Garmin who use a different system for Traffic Data. Regrettably from experience the Traffic information on the Garmin is not usually as good as TT etc.

Last edited by Dougaitken; 17-01-2019 at 11:29.
post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 17-01-2019, 11:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneSmith View Post
My device refused to update the most recent Community update the other day.

I'll give your idea a try tomorrow, if I feel brave enough!

Hi

The Tomtom servers were down for a couple of days recently so that could be the reason you were having a problem. They are up and running again.

Doug
HurricaneSmith likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dougaitken For This Useful Post:
HurricaneSmith (17-01-2019)
post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 17-01-2019, 11:47

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
My experience differs from yours and I would point out that I was NOT talking about the Camper version, I was talking about the TomTom Trucker Pro system that failed repeatedly for me.

It plain did not work as I had been told it would and was heavily overloaded with POI that referred to Truck Stops or Bus Parking - they could apparently not be removed.

Those were my experiences with it and was why I was able to return it to TT as it was faulty either as a single unit or as a representative of the version.

Frankly it was cr9p - even the colour scheme was unacceptable and before you come back at me, yes I did try ALL of the colour schemes available - IMO they were nothing like as clear as the older versions of TT that I have had since they were first released (I still have those but the maps cannot be updated as they are too large).

Those were my experiences and I stand by them.

Thinking of; Mavis, Ray, Sandra and Albert at this time.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Last edited by Penquin; 17-01-2019 at 11:52.
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 17-01-2019, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post

One piece of maybe interesting information I got from the girl in support with reference to the 6200 and any of the other SIM / WIFI enabled devices is that they no longer store your favourites / POI's on the actual unit but on their cloud and simply "enable" your use of them, don't know how accurate that info is.
I'm also undecided how happy I'm with that arrangement if that explanation is accurate.

Hi

This is not true. Any Poi, route and Favourites you load onto your Unit is stored on the unit. Its is also stored on the TT Cloud as a backup if you ever needed to do a Factory Restore.
post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 17-01-2019, 11:54

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
It appears that TT support obviously does not give out accurate information then which is exactly what I found.
eurajohn likes this.

Thinking of; Mavis, Ray, Sandra and Albert at this time.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 17-01-2019, 12:00

Hi Penquin

Anybody reading your comments as expressed inferred that all TT units failed to work in specific ways which was clearly inaccurate. You are now saying that your Unit was faulty which is a totally different thing.

The Trucker Pro generally works similarly to The GO Camper and other GO 6200 units and it would clearly be loaded with Truck Stops and Bus parking as that what it is being sold for like the GO Camper is loaded with specific Campsite data etc. The units are being designed for specific needs including on the Truck Units specific Speed Limit data which would not necessarily equate to the needs of other users.. It does not stop you loading other POI Files if you want and retaining them on the unit.
post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 17-01-2019, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
It appears that TT support obviously does not give out accurate information then which is exactly what I found.
It would not be the first, as I have experienced with other makers, but if you look at the TT forum and if necessary ask a question you will get more accurate information.

Also the Truck Stop and Bus Parking data could not be removed as it is integral to the Map and not loaded as a seperate POI file which you might load yourself.

Last edited by Dougaitken; 17-01-2019 at 12:06.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page