Tomtom camper older version bricked by last update - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 117 (permalink) Old 15-01-2019, 23:14 Thread Starter

If your unit ainít working and you want me to try to fix it you can post it to me , though I would need the email and password for your tomtom account

Though you could change this before and after for security

Otherwise have a go yourself

Its time consuming and frustrating

With the pc at the ready and tomtom my drive connect started and you logged in On tomtom account

Get hold of tomtom device Make sure battery charged or plug it into a usb charger , but not the PC

Switch on tomtom by holding down on/off button long enough for the drum roll to sound

Let unit run for about 15 to 20 seconds and press on/off long enough for unit to switch off

Then press on /off button briefly enough to start unit and leave to start up

Fingers crossed it starts ok But it may take you many many times to just get the sequence right

If its ok remove it from usb power supply donít allow it to shut off so be ready to press cancel

Connect it to PC usb port and mydrive connect should recognise it

Go to manage map and change it from full map to zone map this should then download to device
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 117 (permalink) Old 15-01-2019, 23:18 Thread Starter

Ps both units that were bricked that i fixed had lifetime maps and had the previous day been updated with v10.20 maps

Now they are working then i see they are v1020.9269

I do wonder if Tomtom have done this on purpose to get people to buy new units
post #23 of 117 (permalink) Old 15-01-2019, 23:55 Thread Starter

Another thought try calling tomtom support and ask them to ďPUSH ď the maps / software out to your device again

SO WHEN YOU GO ONTO MYDRIVE CONNECT it will reload device

You could try this by resetting setting device and totally reloading software

hold down on/off button and keep holding it down even after drum roll until you get a black screen with a load of white lines of writing

Then press on/ off button three times very quickly

Device should restart and display a gear cog then prompt you to plug it into your pc

Doing this should force mydrive connect into downloading software from tomtom server
HurricaneSmith likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to trek For This Useful Post:
HurricaneSmith (16-01-2019)

post #24 of 117 (permalink) Old 16-01-2019, 00:00

My Motorhome: AutoTrail V-Line 635 SE
Personal Aire
My device refused to update the most recent Community update the other day.

I'll give your idea a try tomorrow, if I feel brave enough!

John

For lust of knowing what should not be known
We take the Golden Road to..........................
post #25 of 117 (permalink) Old 16-01-2019, 08:34

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
trek, thanks for all that unfortunately whilst on the phone to support, we went through all of the things you suggest (and more).
After the black screen with writing scenario and the turning cog wheel screen the lap top reports no device connected.

I've now gone through the procedure many times and always with the result of no device connected report on lap top.

Hopefully I'll get some positive response from support today, otherwise don't know what I'll do.
Not interested in using phone or tablet instead of dedicated device, I've got those options and still prefer the stand alone device.

From reading as many reviews and reports as I can find, it appears to me that the TomTom 6200 is the best current option with the Garmin unit a close second, having had experience of the "dedicated camper " unit I don't think I'll bother with that version again, as for me the benefits do not outweigh the extra price.

One piece of maybe interesting information I got from the girl in support with reference to the 6200 and any of the other SIM / WIFI enabled devices is that they no longer store your favourites / POI's on the actual unit but on their cloud and simply "enable" your use of them, don't know how accurate that info is.
I'm also undecided how happy I'm with that arrangement if that explanation is accurate.

HurricaneSmith likes this.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to eurajohn For This Useful Post:
HurricaneSmith (16-01-2019)
post #26 of 117 (permalink) Old 16-01-2019, 15:54 Thread Starter

Eurajohn Your not going to bin the duff tomtom camper ru ?
post #27 of 117 (permalink) Old 16-01-2019, 17:07

My Motorhome: AutoTrail V-Line 635 SE
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneSmith View Post
My device refused to update the most recent Community update the other day.

I'll give your idea a try tomorrow, if I feel brave enough!

I left the device until this afternoon, rebooted, logged on, and it's updated successfully.

Strange.....but happy again.

Thanks for the advice Trek and Eurojohn. I've copied your text into a document for future reference.

eurajohn and trek like this.

John

For lust of knowing what should not be known
We take the Golden Road to..........................

Last edited by HurricaneSmith; 16-01-2019 at 17:10.
post #28 of 117 (permalink) Old 16-01-2019, 20:23

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
trek, other than trying again several times today to resurrect it and sending more "questions" to TomTom customer support I've done nothing with it.

Why do you ask? do you have an idea?

John
post #29 of 117 (permalink) Old 16-01-2019, 20:58 Thread Starter

Hi Eurajohn

As you seem to be mulling over buying a replacement Then I assumed you would be abandoning the duff one

Having restored two in the last week Itís possible that i could restore others

not by doing anything clever just by repeated attempts to start the device cleanly and if successful then connecting to tomtom servers to change map to a zone version

So dont just chuck it out if youíve had a guts full of it

By the way i would consider the tomtom professional truck version with life time maps and traffic Instead of the camper version
post #30 of 117 (permalink) Old 16-01-2019, 21:08

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
By the way i would consider the tomtom professional truck version with life time maps and traffic Instead of the camper version
Read my post above and avoid it like the plague - it is poor and even if you opt to be driving a car the HGV attributes still overwhelm it, there are also NO CAMPSITES OR AIRES on it but loads of truck stops and bus refuelling POI's that cannot be hidden.

I had one for six weeks and rejected it as totally unreliable - it could not navigate to NW9 from Romsey..... total disaster and driving back through France it managed to turn a 3 hour journey into 7 hours and yes it was set correctly for fastest journey but chose to follow trick approved routes even though that included green lanes.

Disaster and we would NEVER consider that model again. Most TT now come with lifetime maps - but TT determine how long life time is and generally opt for 3 - 4 years..... i.e. not what I understand as lifetime.

Do not be conned by TT they know EXACTLY what they are doing and selling from our experience.

They also have to be programmed via a phone so if you do not have 3G you are in a hole - programming on the machine is virtually impossible. Any favourites or POI's that you identify are NOT stored on the machine but on the cloud so if you have no internet access forget it. You cannot even navigate to home without using your phone to plan it.
eurajohn likes this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Last edited by Penquin; 16-01-2019 at 21:12.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page