Tomtom camper older version bricked by last update - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 117 (permalink) Old 14-01-2019, 22:40

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Uh?

Think we are both a bit mixed up here .. well I am Sorry when i said logged on I meant to the MHF forum as a subscriber
Oh - yes, I was that too! Don't know why the original didn't work.

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 117 (permalink) Old 14-01-2019, 22:45

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
I updated my 1005 Camper a week ago and it is working as well as ever, no problems at all although on first start up I had to hold the on button until I got the drum roll.

I do have the lifetime updates.

I was tempted to buy the new one they offered with 6" screen at Ä237 until I read some of the reviews, to find people having all sorts of problems related to POI's especially aires and personal favourites being routinely lost by the device.

John
post #13 of 117 (permalink) Old 14-01-2019, 22:51

Just checked mine is now running V1020.9269 release date 10/2018

John

post #14 of 117 (permalink) Old 14-01-2019, 23:23

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Mine has Europe Zone 4 and it sounds as if that should be OK - a partial map rather than the complete Europe map.

But I'll hold off anyway as I've no big journeys planned in the near future.

Jean
post #15 of 117 (permalink) Old 15-01-2019, 09:29

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I have a couple of old tomTom one XLs Version four kicking about, never been upgraded, and working well last time I booted them up, but nowadays I can't be bothered with them, they are slow, take ages to re-route, and useless if your walking about town.

I use phone apps now, far cheaper, faster, more reliable, and are constantly being updated, Co-Pilot is my most used one, but there are loads of free ones to try out, you also get to chose what size screen you like. I'd never waste my money on a stand-alone again.
post #16 of 117 (permalink) Old 15-01-2019, 09:51

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
I have a, pretty ancient now, Start 25 . I loaded the Camper maps onto it a few years ago now because (bizarrely) the TT built into my much newer car, doesnít support that map set!

I have never updated the ďCamperĒ map set due to the exhorbitant cost! (The Start itself has free lifetime updates, unlike my car which I have to pay for every year)

I am working on the theory that itís highly UNlikely any roads my (old) Camper map set sends me down will have changed to the point they are no longer suitable, which is the main concern when towing. I have indeed experienced a couple of occasions where completely new (and better) roads do not exist according to TT BUT they are always well signed.

Having read the above I will certainly NOT be (paying to) ďupgradeĒ my existing out of date Camper map set. It ainít broke, so I ainít gonna fix it. It works fine for 98% of roads, and towns and cities donít move and any road changes are well signposted these days.
(The internal battery is however toast, it holds a charge for about an hour)

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

Last edited by Mrplodd; 15-01-2019 at 09:54.
post #17 of 117 (permalink) Old 15-01-2019, 14:39 Thread Starter

The whole camper european map seems to be the issue Zoned ones are apparently ok

Certainly the case with the one i fixed for my mate

Got another bricked one heading back from portugal today hoping to be able to fix that as well
post #18 of 117 (permalink) Old 15-01-2019, 21:36

Well sadly I should have kept quiet, today I input a destination and the device went very slow, then turned itself off, then on, did nothing, turned itself off, turned itself on etc. etc.

Rang their support and eventually spoke with a very pleasant and patient Asian lady after an hour and 10 minutes on the phone we managed to totally f**k the device it will do nothing now not even connect to the computer.
She had a discussion with her supervisor and advised she would arrange a £10 discount on the repair, I suggested that as it was a TomTom problem I felt I should pay nothing, she went away and on her return advised me that she ws very sorry but they could not repair the unit so I'd have to buy a replacement, her technical people had advised her that it was a fault with my device and nothing to do with the update, I begged to differ and suggested she followed the link to the discussion on the problem on their own forum.
I really got nowhere after that other than she sent me an email with an offer of 25% discount on a selection of their devices.
On my page of the My Drive Connect site I had previously received an offer of a new 6200 for £237.99, so I thought sod it I'll go for that, unfortunately when trying to complete the order it will not allow me to enter my delivery address despite it being the one that my account is registered to (in France).

I have sent a couple of requests to their support team and await a conclusion, I did suggest that surely it would be better to resolve the problem they had caused for me and many others, rather than denying knowledge of the problem and forcing people to publicise their denials on social media.

John
post #19 of 117 (permalink) Old 15-01-2019, 22:34

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
We have had multiple problems with TT support and duff info. Ours packed up and would not show or allow GPS positions to be put in.

Rang them, was told it was too old to repair and to buy new one at discount. I asked for a camper, told not done now and no plans to repeat. So bought the Trucker one total piece if sh1t could not even find London from Romsey.... literally. Once it settled it tried to take me (supposedly an HGV) through the centre of every village ignoring the bypasses....

I said not if merchantable quality, was told too old (3 weeks), raised dispute with credit card, suddenly a special offer of refund was made....

Was then told (by accident as they had left the phone live) that they had not switched services on when I had paid 6 weeks earlier..... at that point old TT restored BUT

still not great - keeps requiring reset (drum roll) and after last update it displays alternative route in large white box with 4 lines of small text that cannot be read while driving - very dangerous.

All in all my long term love affair with TT is waning - fast....

A divorce could be on the cards soon....
eurajohn likes this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #20 of 117 (permalink) Old 15-01-2019, 23:06 Thread Starter

Got a broken unit back tonight from a mate in portugal

It failed on its way to portsmouth a day after the update to v10.20 maps

Anyway managed to fix it Like i did my other mates so both have now zone 4 on them as thats what they need

It is without doubt the last map upgrade OR QuickGPS update that screwed these devices

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page