Tomtom camper older version bricked by last update - Page 10 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 117 (permalink) Old 19-03-2019, 20:07

Hi Jean

You can insert a Micro SD class 10 Memory card into this slot so that if you want to buy extra maps you have space to load them on to.

Your unit has 8mb of internal memory where the Operating software must be plus the Map and any Poi files etc you may have added. The European map file is getting so big that if it is squeezed onto the internal memory and there is not about 400mb of free space problems can arise. As the maps have got so big now when they are updated eventually if you have a 16 or 32 gb card in the slot the new map will automatically go there freeing up the internal memory which helps with operation.

If you search in Settings probably you will be able to find how much free memory you have on your unit. If you are hoping to keep the unit for a while then fitting a card would be a good thing to do.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 117 (permalink) Old 20-03-2019, 12:52

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I've had an SD card in it for years Doug, it's just never been used.

And of course, TT in their wisdom took it all out of our hands when you stopped being able to see folders on the device.

That's when it all went downhill!

Jean
post #93 of 117 (permalink) Old 20-03-2019, 13:19

Hi Jean

I can understand your down hill comment but in some ways there have been some major improvements.

It is regrettable that you cannot add a new POI spot to a POI file on your Tomtom units now. The only way you can do it now is to use 3rd party software on your PC and to add and then reload the file into the TT..

However improvements I find useful are I can create routes on my Phone or PC, when I turn my TT on with its Inbuilt Mobile sim , or connect my Phone on some models, wherever I am it will download the route and be ready to go within minutes usually seconds. Also I can pre create routes and save them in my Tomtom account, sync them to my unit even via the Mobile sim whenever and wherever I want them and they are there when I go away to be selected when I need them. Also if I have a saved route on my TT when I select it when I am not at the start of it then it will sort out a route to the start. The unit also load update without the need of a PC provided you have reasonable Wifi speed.

If you open the TomTom MyDrive webpage and log in then you can select an option to look at road trips where there are loads of pre prepared routes you can download if your unit is capable, for example the North Coast 500. Browsing through the Tours can give some useful ideas for trips . Historic, Coastal, Mountains, Woods and Forest and Epic routes are available world wide. You can even edit the routes if you want.

if you download POI files and Routes to you TT unit via MyDrive then they are backed up tp the TT servers and you can restore them to your Unit if you have to restore it and all your data is missing from your unit anywhere you have wifi or even using the inbuilt Sim if on the model you haves one.

I had one occasion when the TT servers were not connecting to the Units via the Inbuilt sims for a period to enable traffic and I was in an area with major traffic problems at the time. I connected the unit to my Mifi and Traffic worked perfectly via the internet.

Doug
HurricaneSmith likes this.

Last edited by Dougaitken; 20-03-2019 at 13:24.

post #94 of 117 (permalink) Old 20-03-2019, 19:22

Wow, Doug, I had no idea it was capable of so much!

One of these days when I've nothing to do, I might get stuck in to the learning curve. BTW, has something changed with MHF? I've gone all black bannered instead of blue (on EMV)

Jean
post #95 of 117 (permalink) Old 20-03-2019, 21:53

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Used these guys more than once, good and reasonable if slightly eccentric (despite the name I think it could be a one man band)

[url]https://www.tomtomrepairteam.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjwycfkBRAFEiwAnLX5IWdtsuKJIbQhFtd94Uz QBpOg2YcuKoKT8YoEkPLL-cIXZBbHbsz_XxoCxS0QAvD_BwE[/url
post #96 of 117 (permalink) Old 20-03-2019, 21:59

Hi Jean

You cannot do what I described on your unit. It is on e the more recent units since the GO40.

Doug
post #97 of 117 (permalink) Old 22-03-2019, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougaitken View Post
Hi Jean

You cannot do what I described on your unit. It is on e the more recent units since the GO40.

Doug
Well, I guess I'm kind of relieved about that.... Spending more time than necessary with TT is not something I relish!

Jean
post #98 of 117 (permalink) Old 27-03-2019, 14:48

I got a reply just today asking me if I've been able to connect my device to the computer yet (I'm a week into my trip!) and offering a phone call if so.

I've responded with the full account of what eventually worked for me, asking him to pass it upline to his senior management with the hope that they will at least inform their frontline staff of the possible solution.

I haven't been following the TT thread to see if people are still suffering.

Jean
The Following User Says Thank You to jiwawa For This Useful Post:
Dougaitken (27-03-2019)
post #99 of 117 (permalink) Old 28-03-2019, 13:48

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Seems I spoke too soon, my old unit that I gave to Son-in-Law has started doing the same continual lock, stop, restart etc. etc. again

John
post #100 of 117 (permalink) Old 28-03-2019, 14:35

Crikey, I hope that doesn't happen to me mid-trip!

What map was on it?

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page