Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Sat Nav GPS (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/42-sat-nav-gps/)
-   -   What SatNav (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/42-sat-nav-gps/227553-what-satnav.html)

Bearfos90£ 22-02-2018 14:50

What SatNav

Hi
Can anyone recommend a satnav just for motorhomes, rather than the usual car satnavs
Cheers

DJMotorhomer 22-02-2018 17:15

I have the TomTom Camper sat nav. No longer available from TomTom but can be bought online. I have had it for 8 years with no problems at all. Has all the sites in Europe pre loaded with reviews and info on all sites and aires.

Dave

raynipper 22-02-2018 17:43

I did buy a cheap Chinese 7" 'Truck' sat nav a few years ago for €50. It was brilliant in every respect save sun on the screen.
It had vehicle dimensions limitations and everything else but although the audio was OK the screen was impossible in bright sun.

Ray.

Mrplodd 22-02-2018 17:48

Or an older Tomtom unit onto which you can load the Tomtom camper maps.

That’s what I have done. A Start 25 unit works a treat. It has lifetime updates for the original maps but the Camper map updates have to be paid for.

Being a bit suspicious I devised a cross country route that I knew would pose “Issues” for a MH or caravan. The Camper mapping system routed me exactly the same way as I would have done knowing the “dodgy” bits. The “standard” mapping took me cross country on the route aI would have chosen if I just had a car.

So I am more than happy that their mapping algorithm works a treat

Andy

P.s. I am sure someone will be along shortly to say that Garmin (or others) are just as good, which they probably are. I would be inclined to work out the cost of the various options before parting with your hard earned.
P.p.s. I have read that the cheap Chinese Camper satnav’s on offer on eBay are pretty good!

Edit
Just seen Raynippers post that went on whilst I was composing mine !!

DJMotorhomer 22-02-2018 17:51

Mrplodd 22-02-2018 17:54

Just check it’s not one of the TT units that they are no longer supporting (as in no more map updates)

Andy

Just checked, TT no longer selling on line so maybe it’s a no longer supported device.

H1-GBV 22-02-2018 18:06

I HOPE the "correct" answer is a TT Professional 6200 because mine arrived this morning :grin2:

My TT Go 740 is no longer supported so TT offered 25% off their price (obviously more than ebay) and included a free carry case. Perhaps there will be people around who would be willing to part with their TT account details if you want to try the same model (but you have to phone up and ask). :wink2:

Whatever you buy, it will have good points and bad: we didn't really get on with our Garmin and I read recently that it is a PIA to change route once you're travelling.

Good luck with your choice - Gordon

DJMotorhomer 22-02-2018 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrplodd (Post 2869089)
Just check it’s not one of the TT units that they are no longer supporting (as in no more map updates)

Andy

Just checked, TT no longer selling on line so maybe it’s a no longer supported device.

There are still map updates but are chargeable as is the New zealand one I added to mine in October at £34 but all the campsite throughout Europe are pre loaded.

teljoy 23-02-2018 08:57

Be careful with Tom Toms. My Go 5100 does not handle POI's unlike my ancient Go 910 which was brilliant. POI's with bitmaps can no longer be downloaded and the functionality for inputting distances to POI's etc. is no longer available. If like me you used these extensively then Tom Tom is not for you. The My Drive Tom Tom forum has a lot of disgruntled customers. I believe Garmin still handles POI's.
Terry

H1-GBV 23-02-2018 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by H1-GBV (Post 2869113)
I HOPE the "correct" answer is a TT Professional 6200 because mine arrived this morning :grin2:
Gordon

Looks like it's not the correct answer:

It shows my postcode as being 500m from where I live. :frown2:
It directs me down a 6'6" width restriction in my nearest town (7'2" wide vehicle). :frown2::frown2:
It tells me a bridge has a 2T limit so I shouldn't cross it in my 3.5T MH. However, it DOESN'T tell me how to get to the destination. :frown2: :frown2: :frown2:

Fortunately, all of these are "dry runs" done from the comfort, and safety, of my armchair. What a good job I'm not "driving". :wink2:

TomTom have been sent my thoughts on these problems: hopefully they will issue an update to rectify them before my 30day guarantee runs out.

Otherwise, I quite like it! :surprise:

Gordon