What SatNav - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 26-02-2018, 14:17

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Agreed Andy. Our French post code covers FIVE villages. Dunno how many houses.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 26-02-2018, 14:37

Just a thought this tomtom available from argos maybe worth considering

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7309546

TomTom Go Professional 520 5 Inch EU Traffic Truck Sat Nav

Imagine a route that's tailored to your truck, coach or van. TomTom GO PROFESSIONAL welcomes you to priority driving, bringing better ways to drive efficiently. It has Lifetime Map updates over Wi-Fi. It even guides you to truck, van and bus POIs like fuel stations or parking. It can read out your text messages and enable Google Now and Siri from your smartphone while you focus on the road. Now with Stopped traffic alerts plus real-time TomTom Traffic on your truck sat nav, your drive will be safer and more efficient than ever.

Lifetime Large Vehicle Maps of Europe: customised routes by weight, cargo and max speed. Lifetime TomTom Traffic Via Smartphone: Includes stopped traffic alerts to avoid sudden braking. Over 50,000 dedicated truck, van and coach points of interest. Bluetooth Hands-Free Calling; keep your eyes on the road. Smartphone message – Have Smartphone messages read out from your smartphone. Compatible with Siri & Google Now. Voice controlled navigation 8. Update Maps & software via Wi-Fi ® no computer needed.

5 inch LCD touchscreen.
Pre-loaded maps for UK, full Europe, .
Covers 45 European countries in total.
Speed camera alerts no subscription required.
Lifetime traffic.
Lifetime map updates.
Free updates - lifetime maps, traffic and speedcamera alerts.
No subscription required.
Sat Nav features:

Saves past routes based on previous journeys.
Lane guidance.
3 mapping.
Points of interest - displays locations such as petrol stations and restaurants.
Voice command and control.
Bluetooth for hands free calling.
Eco route for fuel efficient navigation.
IQ routes to calculate your route based on the actual speeds measured on roads at different times of the day.
General information:

Car charger.
Magnetic mount.
USB cable.
Up to 1 hour battery life.
Size H2, W14.3, D9.1cm.
Manufacturer's 2 year guarantee.
Model number 1pn5.002.08.

EAN: 0636926089906.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 26-02-2018, 14:39

Rest assured, it has been connected to MyDrive, updated etc since I bought it new on Thur morning.
Unfortunately, MyDrive (and hence all TT maps) think my postcode is 500m from where it really is. It didn't think that 8y ago when I set it as my "home".
[Just thought, that used to connect to TT Home.]

Helpfully, @Dougaitkin has checked on his Garmin, which gives the correct position and on his TTs, which are wrong. He is contacting "someone" who may be able to sort it out.

This may account for why some delivery drivers have been getting to the Green and then phoning for directions! I have always told visitors to "put in the postcode and you will get exactly to my door" - oops (if they use TT).

I'm also concerned about its routing: it still sends me through a 6'6" gap to get from Church St to St Withburga Lane in Dereham (I could probably do that), but it also sends me from Cattle Market St in Fakenham to Old Post Office St via Swan St and Tunn Lane. Not only are these one-way streets but the turn between them is round a 90deg bend between brick walls approx 2m apart. Cars hit them on a regular basis! If you've got a satnav, give it a try (from the comfort of your armchair)

Gordon

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 26-02-2018, 21:11

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Andy is right about the post code - do you not get the opportunity to put your number in? Or if the post code covers a wide area, to enter your street name and number?

Even if the post code covers a single street, if you don't give it a number it will default to half way along the street.

Some of the minutiae of mapping is only as good as users' feedback.

As the satnavs always warn, don't take them as gospel!

Jean
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 27-02-2018, 08:51

My Motorhome: Hymer exsis-i 562 (Ford)
AFAIK, it's only the UK and the Netherlands that have have localized postcode systems. All others cover major areas to a greater or lesser degree. particularly France as I know from bitter experience.

Malcolm

If you want the best seat in the house - move the lurcher!
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 27-02-2018, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
Andy is right about the post code - do you not get the opportunity to put your number in? Or if the post code covers a wide area, to enter your street name and number?

Even if the post code covers a single street, if you don't give it a number it will default to half way along the street.
In general, I must agree.

BUT I have lived in one of only two adjacent properties which share this postcode [NR20 4EA] for over 30y. Google maps will show you exactly where it is. Garmin satnavs will take you to my door. TomTom (I first used one in 2007) USED to take me to my door but for some reason they seem to have got it wrong at some point.

Obviously, KNOWING WHERE I LIVE and setting HOME to be very close (but not exactly) WHERE I LIVE means that I have not done a SEARCH for my postcode for a very long time (my previous TT was bought in 2010). It only arose because I wanted to "test drive" my brand new TT6200 Professional (Truck) satnav into Dereham to see if it would avoid a narrow section of road. At that point I realised that TT have it WRONG by about 500m across 4 streets, including the main road through the village.

Gordon

My son-in-law used to be a computer analyst near Norwich with a (the only?) firm which generates postcodes for places all round the world [niche market if ever I heard of one ]. He was one of a team [I would have thought one person with a map and an alphabet could do it ] whose working week included one-to-one foreign language lessons and a requirement to peruse "local" newspapers to ensure the codes they generated were not "inappropriate".
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 27-02-2018, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Just a thought this tomtom available from argos maybe worth considering

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7309546

TomTom Go Professional 520 5 Inch EU Traffic Truck Sat Nav

EAN: 0636926089906.
Clearly I looked at a number of TT (and other) satnavs, eventually purchasing the TT Pro6200, a 6" satnav with a 25% discount, as they no longer were supporting my Go740.

I have had a number of issues, including being told "going over a 2T limit bridge in your 3.5T MH is a problem" on Friday, "drive down the road, go left, go left, go left and you're there" on Monday and, today "going over a 2T limit bridge in your 3.5T MH is a problem"! (My interpretation of the mapping displays.)

I'm also being directed through 1.98m (6'6") restrictions (not narrow roads, legal restrictions!).

Clearly, this does not fill me with confidence about travelling in unknown territory.

HOWEVER, the latest email from TT HQ states:

we are currently facing routing issue with the GO Professional devices and we have informed the mapping team regarding the same. The team is working to get to the resolution at the highest priority. May we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

There is new map update scheduled to be released today (27th FEb) in which the issue should get resolve to some extent. Hence, please check of the latest map update by the end of today, test the route and let me know the outcome so that I can update the team.

So perhaps by tomorrow I shall be able to report that all is well, and that I recommend these devices.

Gordon
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 27-02-2018, 12:32

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I am surprised that anyone seriously looks at stand alone sat navs these days, I have a couple of TomToms, but despite the update problems they work as they always did, IE slow, I keep on ein the van in case the phone goes down, but I use CoPilot mostly, or Maps.me both work better than any stand alone ones, we just need them to catch up on usage with bigger vehicle like ours, without the arm and leg amputation they charge for the truck versions, but they get regular updates, and react to navigation sooooo much faster, screens are better too.
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 27-02-2018, 12:45

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
As I know nuffink about 'CoPilot' Kev, it's easier to stick with what I do know. i.e. Garmin sat navs.
I have three second hand ones and all are better than my expensive inbuilt dash one.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 27-02-2018, 13:06

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
As I know nuffink about 'CoPilot' Kev, it's easier to stick with what I do know. i.e. Garmin sat navs.
I have three second hand ones and all are better than my expensive inbuilt dash one.

Ray.
I agree Ray, that's why I looked into them as it does no harm to learn new tricks (I draw the line at setting up forums now though) keeps what's left between my ears active.
raynipper and raynipper like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page