What SatNav - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 23-02-2018, 10:10
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
I have a Garmin Camper and it does the trick every time for me and my MH is 8.7m long!

I am not a 'dyed in the wool' Garmin user either - I also own a Tom Tom for my car and they are equally as good sat navs...its just that I have never owned a Tom Tom camper version.

Graham
raynipper and raynipper like this.

Which ever way you look at it, we are MUCH BETTER OFF in the EU than outside!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 23-02-2018, 11:50

Hi Terry (teljoy)

I think it would be appropriate to clarify some of your comments which I think could be misinterpreted.

On the Current TT units such as yours you can add your own or Third Party POI files but you cannot also add an associated .bmp (Bitmap) file so that the POI's are shown on the map with their relevant icon. Now you can associate a coloured dots with each of up to 6 POI files to be shown on the map. You cannot add or delete a POI to or from a POI file on your unit. You cannot add sounds to a Poi so you know when you are near one. You can show POI's on the map and you can search for them either on the Whole Map, Along route, In a town or City or near your destination.

I have both a newish TT Car unit, an old TT Camper and Caravan unit and a Garmin Camper unit and I would comment on them as follows:-

On the Camper units I have found the routing on the TT the better of the 2 units as I have had a number of really odd situations arise on the newer Garmin when it has directed me into a deadend or through a Shopping parking area before returning to the junction it had passed beforehand among a number of other poor routing recommendations.. The Garmin does have some good features in comparison to the TT but routing is the main function we buy them for. Generally if you are travelling between two major places the Garmin is okay but it is usually as you leave or approach somewhere off the main routes that the problems arise. Also its routing can be more conservative which can result in you travelling further than necessary. For example its last 3 miles to where we live is 5 on the Garmin or another 15 mile route to us is 25+ on the Garmin.

Comparing Traffic on the current TT's and the Garmin the TT is I find better although generally when in our Motorhome 'whats the rush'.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dougaitken For This Useful Post:
teljoy (23-02-2018)
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 23-02-2018, 12:17

Garmin 760LMT-D for us.
Some minor problems as mentioned previously but, generally, very good.
You can also pre-plan on a pc or Mac with Garmin BaseCamp software.

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 23-02-2018, 12:59

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMotorhomer View Post
I have the TomTom Camper sat nav. No longer available from TomTom but can be bought online. I have had it for 8 years with no problems at all. Has all the sites in Europe pre loaded with reviews and info on all sites and aires.

Dave
I also have the TT Camper. Does it update the campsite data as well as the maps? I always assumed the campsite data was as it was bought.

I don't use the campsite info often - I bought it really for better routing for my (then) >3.5T MH and found it excellent for that.

Jean
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 23-02-2018, 21:05

Encouraging news from TT HQ:

I'm sorry for the inconvenience you are facing as your TomTom GO Professional 6200 is unable to provide you the correct route as per the dimensions of your vehicle and it is also unable to get the accurate location using the postcode. These two issues have been reported by other customers as well lately and we have escalated them to the senior development team who is looking into it on the highest priority. We might come up with a dedicated map update to address this issue, however, we are yet to get the official confirmation about the same as the matter is still under investigation.

[My emphasis on "might"!]

Not quite so encouraging:

I request you to please bear with us as we are working to get to the resolution at the highest priority.

As I need an accurate, reliable satnav within the next couple of weeks, for a holiday in Spain, I may have to return this for a refund and buy a Garmin (or a derivative)!
Unfortunately, the last Garmin which we had demanded an "immediate update" whilst we were in Valladolid and promptly "died" (as in Norweigan Blue Parrot).
Fortunately the satnag was able to direct us up to Bilbao but she wasn't too good at getting us into the docks.

Gordon
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 24-02-2018, 16:48

Hi Gordon (@H1-GVB)

Do the routing errors still occur if you input greater dimensions and or weights.

I am wondering whether or not although you are putting in dimensions if you input a weight up to 3500KG the unit ,in error, defaults to a car scenario but it works as you want it to if the weight is above 3500KG. If this is the case it may be helpful to TT if they know that is what you experience.

Regarding the Post Code if you go into Settings there are 2 options for Searching. One is Quick Search. There have been problems with Post Codes if the alternative setting, can't think what it is called at the moment, is selected such that the units cannot find some post codes in rural areas. I would suggest you use Quick Search as the preferred option as that seems to generally work better especially in rural areas.

Doug

Last edited by Dougaitken; 24-02-2018 at 16:58.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dougaitken For This Useful Post:
H1-GBV (26-02-2018)
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 24-02-2018, 18:49

My Motorhome: Autocruise Startrail
Personal Aire
On the 1005 Live TomTom I have never had a routing error. Plus you can choose which vehicle

car, car with caravan, van and motorhome. You can input the vehicle weight, length, height and width and top speed too. This can still be updated on maps, cameras etc but they are chargeable.

We LOVE Our "MO"

Dave & Jan
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 25-02-2018, 17:15

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Gordon, have you updated the TT through their website? The files for locking on to the satellites should be updated regularly to keep accuracy. However, it can be a daunting experience tho the last time I did an update it was less traumatic than most. So maybe they've sorted something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougaitken View Post
Hi Gordon (@H1-GVB)

Do the routing errors still occur if you input greater dimensions and or weights.

I am wondering whether or not although you are putting in dimensions if you input a weight up to 3500KG the unit ,in error, defaults to a car scenario but it works as you want it to if the weight is above 3500KG. If this is the case it may be helpful to TT if they know that is what you experience.

Doug
I'm not sure that would be particularly helpful (except to give TT some info) as it would have you avoid routes which include >3.5T limits when there's no reason to.

Jean
The Following User Says Thank You to jiwawa For This Useful Post:
H1-GBV (26-02-2018)
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 26-02-2018, 09:46

Sadly, my TT tells me that it is "up to date". It arrived on Thur morning and spend approx 1h getting itself to this state.

If I type in my postcode (NR20 4EA) it places me on "The Green, Gressenhall". In reality, I live 500m away where I am one of two dwellings.
MyDrive gives exactly the same result, as does TTApp on Android.

However, perhaps I'm just unlucky, as I've just searched almost everyone else's postcode from my address book, and they are all correct, including folk even more isolated than me!
Given that I know where I live, perhaps I can cope with that being incorrect.

AND SUDDENLY it is working better! (Apart from my postcode).
It now avoids the 2T bridge (for van) but allows it for car.
However, it still uses the 6'6" width restrictor.
Coming home yesterday I spotted a height restrictor near Needham Market in Suffolk, and it is avoiding that (for van) but allowing it for car! SUCCESS (albeit limited).

The question is how did this happen? I got so annoyed with it that I switched it off and left it in its box from Friday morning until just a few minutes ago. There is no info under "System" indicating an update (Truck maps are quoted as 4 months old).

Weird - Gordon
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 26-02-2018, 13:05

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
If you live in the country then your postcode will cover a MUCH larger area than one in towns. My daughter lives in rural Wales, her post code covers a huge area. (Mine covers about 20 houses in a cul De sac.) A satnav will therefore go to a point nearest the centre of a rural post code. It COULD be that your friend who lives in an isolated location is actually near the centre of their postcode.

To update your TT it needs to be connected to T’internet!

Andy
H1-GBV and H1-GBV like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page