Garmin BC30 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 23-09-2016, 04:59 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Garmin BC30

Has anyone purchased one of these. Its a reverse camera, but links to your GARMIN sat nav.

From what ive seen it seems a sensible install, and for me would negate the need to have another screen in the cab.

I can only find American feedback on sites, ( barring a few bits on amazon, which are limited ).

Anyone ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Wire...s=garmin+bc+30

Rollerteam Autoroller 700, Ford Transit 140 T350
Mertie Moto

My Travels https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...M.kY_dTDvKO74w
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 18:10

My Motorhome: I drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbosps View Post
Has anyone purchased one of these. Its a reverse camera, but links to your GARMIN sat nav.

From what ive seen it seems a sensible install, and for me would negate the need to have another screen in the cab.

I can only find American feedback on sites, ( barring a few bits on amazon, which are limited ).

Anyone ?

I have installed one two weeks ago, works a treat i have wired it into the 12v supply on my aux zig unit so it's always on if i need it so wireless it works great no inference over 6.5 meters.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 30-07-2018, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbosps View Post

Anyone ?

Today I tested out my newly and expensively installed BC30 camera . It is extremely disappointing ,the picture is very dark and blurry even in bright daylight , so that objects you want to miss are very hard to see. There is too much fish eye wide angle distortion , an unnecessary amount . . It makes no difference how I adjust the Garmin satnav screen brightness , it shows the same dark vague picture . So far the only thing it works for is reversing into white lined parking bays , and that is only because the white lines show up against the general darkness . I tried it at night , and walls etc show up a bit better with the reversing lights reflecting off them . Having used a Toyota with factory fitted camera , I know what a backup camera is supposed to look like in action . Those cameras gain up the available light when it is low , just as a digital camera does ,- not so with Garmin . Plus they do not bend the view into a semicircle distorting your distances .

For what these things cost I think Garmin have swindled me , so be warned and find something better

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 31-07-2018, 14:34

My Motorhome: Burstner Delphin Performance T821
Personal Aire
I hope it is better than the BC20 was. Mine was poor quality and then stopped working just outside the warranty period. Garmin were a waste of time, they just wanted it sent back to them at a standard cost much higher than the value of a new one ... except they discontinued them.

My advice, send it back and get a full refund if you still can.

Nil Desperandum Illegitemide Carborundum
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 31-07-2018, 15:39

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Could it be that something is reflecting light into the camera on these very sunny days?

I know nothing about cameras but I do think that if I've sunlight coming directly at my camera the pic itself goes dark?

Jean
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 31-07-2018, 15:56

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I looked at cameras for ages, and IMHO, the cheapo 40 Ebay ones take some beating, easy to fit, the monitor at 7inch is a bit in your face, but against the A pillar, it's acceptable, I fitted 3 in 3 vans from different sellers, all worked the same.

There are also various kits where you pick a camera and a screen, a little more expensive, but can be tailored to your own needs, some monitors will accept two feeds so you could do down and back.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 22:40

Anyone with experience of the bc 30 got any further thoughts? Recently got a garmin 770 sat Nav and interested to find out if it's the best option. Like the fairly straight forward install

TIA
Graeme
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 20:33

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Since you already have it Graeme I'd just go with it n only look for something else if there turns out to be a problem.

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page