User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 22-09-2015, 11:57 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Personal Aire
Aguri

Anyone using one of these?
Camping and Caravan Club mag advertising a special offer.
Satnav with caravan and motorhome specific navigating system. Lots of night stops POIs including Bord Atlas, Acsi, Camperstop etc.
Maps are by 'Here' from Nokia/Navteq. Unit includes front facing dash cam.
Offer is £199 with discount code.
Article on Nokia maps:
http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...google/263150/

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 22-09-2015, 19:45 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
In that case I shall be the test pilot.
I had a good on-line question and answer session with the company concerning POIs, battery life etc. They were able to answer all my queries. When I asked how long the recording loops (10 minutes btw) were the rep wasn't sure, so he went away and fired up a unit to give me the answer.
I've downloaded the Here Maps android app and it works well and gets a satellite connection really quickly.
I'll update after I've used it a bit.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-09-2015, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacerunner View Post
Maps are by 'Here' from Nokia/Navteq. Unit includes front facing dash cam.
Offer is £199 with discount code.
Article on Nokia maps:
http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...google/263150/
The problem is that a lot has happened to Nokia in the 3 years since that article was written.

It literally doesn't exist part is now Microsoft and part is nominally a name put on someone else's phones.

I have no idea which bit Navteq stayed with.*

That said Navteq maps were (are?) always "streets" ahead (sorry) of the "Tele atlas" rubbish used by the likes of TomTom.

It appears it is now called "HERE" and was sold in August 2015 to to a consortium of three German automotive companies, Audi AG, BMW Group and Daimler AG

Quote:
In 2012, the new brand name HERE was introduced for Nokia Location & Commerce. HERE has its own website: http://www.here.com [15]
On 3 August 2015 Nokia announced an agreement to sell HERE to a consortium of three German automotive companies, Audi AG, BMW Group and Daimler AG, at an enterprise value of 2.8 billion euros.[16] The consortium will jointly own HERE, which will continue to operate as a separate business and serve other customers besides its owners.[17]

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-09-2015, 16:36 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
I ordered the RV500 version at 1300hrs yesterday and it arrived less than 24 hours later by courier.
I've used both Tomtom and Garmin units so starting and using the Aguri was quite straight forward. All menu items are fairly familiar with some extras included.
The windscreen mount is slightly different with the piece that clips onto the satnav having a folding leg that converts it to a table top stand.
The POI list is very comprehensive with endless lists of restaurants of every nationality you could think of. Australian restaurants!?
The important aires and campsite POIs come under a 'User POI' button and at first look appears to cover all bases.
The unit includes a dash cam which is new to me so I'll leave any opinion of that till I,ve used it a bit.
It has the ususal motorhome/caravan dimension settings plus a car mode as well.
Map updates and speed trap updates are free for life and updating and dash cam viewer PC software come on a DVD to be installed on a computer, or can be downloaded from the Aguri website.
I did notice that the on screen map of my area was detailed enough to show unsurfaced footpaths so street mapping should be detailed too.
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-09-2015, 18:04

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
Your description is starting to make me nudge towards changing from the TT go 720, but would it be worthwhile I ask, as mine is still giving me the service I want at the moment. I look forward to reading further reviews/comments from you.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-09-2015, 18:26

My Motorhome: Burstner Delphin Performance T821
Personal Aire
I don't know if technology has advanced but I have heard it said that there is no effective useful method of detecting which roads are unsuitable due to vehicle size. Therefore inputting vehicle dimensions into a satnav is more of a gimmick than a tool.

I will not mind if someone can prove me wrong as I have recently bought the Garmin 760 Camper satnav.

Nil Desperandum Illegitemide Carborundum
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-09-2015, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
...... but I have heard it said that there is no effective useful method of detecting which roads are unsuitable due to vehicle size.
Read the Nokia Maps/Navteq link and it shows you exactly how NM/Navteq do just that.

So it all depends upon which maps Garmin use - Navteq or not Navteq that is the question.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 24-09-2015, 08:42

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 24-09-2015, 08:47

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacerunner View Post
I ordered the RV500 version at 1300hrs yesterday and it arrived less than 24 hours later by courier.
I've used both Tomtom and Garmin units so starting and using the Aguri was quite straight forward. All menu items are fairly familiar with some extras included.
The windscreen mount is slightly different with the piece that clips onto the satnav having a folding leg that converts it to a table top stand.
The POI list is very comprehensive with endless lists of restaurants of every nationality you could think of. Australian restaurants!?
The important aires and campsite POIs come under a 'User POI' button and at first look appears to cover all bases.
The unit includes a dash cam which is new to me so I'll leave any opinion of that till I,ve used it a bit.
It has the ususal motorhome/caravan dimension settings plus a car mode as well.
Map updates and speed trap updates are free for life and updating and dash cam viewer PC software come on a DVD to be installed on a computer, or can be downloaded from the Aguri website.
I did notice that the on screen map of my area was detailed enough to show unsurfaced footpaths so street mapping should be detailed too.
You will likely have your own personal POIs, have you tried importing your own yet? as that has been a stumbling block for loads of Sat Navs.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 24-09-2015, 11:47 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_n_Liz View Post
You will likely have your own personal POIs, have you tried importing your own yet? as that has been a stumbling block for loads of Sat Navs.
I'm told by Aguri that personal POIs can't be added. However you can build up a 'favourites' folder.
Most of my personal POIs consisted of Aires, stellplatz etc and this unit appears to have the lot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page