Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Wanted 6 Berth Motorhome

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  jiwawa 
#1 ·
Wanted 6 Berth Motorhome Rear lounge preferred 1999 to 2007 must be clean inside and out Fiat , Peugeot preferred.

#2 ·
Just to be clear, are you in need of 6 belted seats for travel, or only 6 sleeping berths?

Many “6 berth” motorhomes from that era had the beds, but not the seats (or payload) to carry 6 people. Couple that with your requirement for a rear lounge, and the possibilities reduce even further.

Aside from the Fiat/Peugeot requirement, have you any particular models/manufacturers in mind?

We started motorhoming in 2008, and needed at least 5 berths and belts at that time. We found that our choices were limited by the number of seatbelts and payload.

Regards,
John

#3 ·
IF you get 6 belted seat please check the available payload, 6 people plus all the “stuff” that goes with them weighs a lot!
I recall looking at a 6 berth Rapido some years ago, the payload was just under 300kg that’s just 50kg per person! When I quizzed the salesman he told me they expected 4 occupants to travel by car not IN the MH

Andy

#4 ·
IF you get 6 belted seat please check the available payload, 6 people plus all the "stuff" that goes with them weighs a lot!
I recall looking at a 6 berth Rapido some years ago, the payload was just under 300kg that's just 50kg per person! When I quizzed the salesman he told me they expected 4 occupants to travel by car not IN the MH

Andy
Did he know you were/had been a traffic cop when he answered?:wink2::laugh:

#6 ·
No way!! I wanted to see what sort of answer he gave. I was stunned by the banality/impracticality/stupidity of his answer, what concerned me was that he clearly thought it was reasonable and sensible. He was in a minority of one !

Andy

#8 ·
Why not?

Most of us when we first embark on motor-homing assume if seat belts are for 6 , sleeping arrangements are for 6 it’s Ok

Only later do we learn that payloads do not equal seats and beds

It’s a learning curve

Our van has seatbelts for 5 , beds for three, unless it’s a a couple of small kids that could sleep between us in the huge double bed

Payloads we never even heard of it in the early days

Which is why our three bedded van takes only two and has been upgraded to 385

It’s all about payloads

Sandra

#12 ·
Correct Ozzyjohn.

It was at the NEC show about 10 years ago now I think. Can’t recall the dealership, but it was a huge stand so clearly one of the “Big Boys”

Andy

#13 ·
Oops. Sorry my mistake,

Trouble with dealers they ( not all ) can be lenient with the truth , it’s a sale they are after

I have met a few who look completely nonplussed when you ask about payloads, and frequently haven’t a clue what the payload is on the modal they are trying to sell

Truth is very few motorhomes in the 350 range have sufficient payload for a couple and their gear

Sandra

#14 ·
Oops. Sorry my mistake,

Trouble with dealers they ( not all ) can be lenient with the truth , it's a sale they are after

I have met a few who look completely nonplussed when you ask about payloads, and frequently haven't a clue what the payload is on the modal they are trying to sell

Truth is very few motorhomes in the 350 range have sufficient payload for a couple and their gear

Sandra
Oh tell me about it! Years and years I have been hunting down a replacement van. As soon as you start talking about payloads the smile drops, the tone changes. "Oh this bloke knows what he is talking about and isnt a starry eyed newbie with money burning a hole in his pocket". Quite a few I have even said, if we agree a sale can it be conditional on a trip to a weighbridge? They dont want to know. As a result I narrowed our search down to one van that I know will be adequate that ticks all our other boxes purely because I found someone on another forum with the exact same van that did all the maths and calculations and sent me his spreadsheet and a couple of others that I think will suit. Of course there are always only two or three for sale and usually 250 miles away. I always end up giving up. Buying a house is far easier.

#15 ·
Yes ourFirst motorhome we had no idea about payloads

So we were prob overloaded

Ignorance is bliss, but doesn’t last for long

We needed air con and and an onboard gas generator

The later possibly not

The former definitely

I don’t do heat , it makes me struggle for breath, me and my bit of a cow replacement aorta agree on that

As does the love of my life, not Albert, but Shadow

Often we snuggle together in the cool van

And if we need to leave him for a couple of hours he’s left in an air conditioned van

But we needed to upgrade to 385 to accommodate the extra weight

Sandra

#16 ·
Our first motorhome was a 26ft American RV and being a total novice I invited 14 for a booze run to France.
14 bodies and all their booze must have weight as much as the RV itself. But we made it after blowing up the tyres to almost round.

Very steep learning curve after that.

Ray.

Reactions: barryd
#17 ·
LOL! I remember when we used to go on "Fishing" holidays to Ireland Ray in the 80s in my mates Commer Caravanette. Five of us would cram in it in Darlington with all our gear, a boat on a trailer and meet 4 more at Holyhead from London who would cram in for the ferry and the drive across Ireland to the Shannon where we would pick up a motor cruiser. How the thing didnt burst or the wheels fall of I dont know. We did however get frequent punctures.

#18 ·
OK, I'm on the Isle of Man, but I'm selling my 2004 Trigano Challenger 192, on a 2.4 diesel Ford Transit chassis (twin wheel rear axle). Sadly it doesn't quite fit the requirements of a rear lounge, but it does have six seat belted seats, comfy sleeping for six and a large garage, fridge, oven, three burner hob, blown air heating, toilet, shower, awning, etc etc. 27 thousand miles, so hardly run in!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.