Holland Germany Sweden Finland Norway and back - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 28-09-2021, 11:48 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Mercedes Sprinter 314 cdi LWB
Holland Germany Sweden Finland Norway and back

Good Morning to you all,
Just before the first Covid Lockdown we purchased a 2017 reg Mercedes Sprinter 314 cdi two and a half years old LWB to convert to a campervan.It was two and a half years old with 78,000 miles on the clock with full detailed service history.It had been on lease to BT.Anyway we bought it just before the first lockdown, and it just sat in secure storage till we were all released, then I got to work.Here are some pictures of the said.

https://dogslow.smugmug.com/Our-Mercedes-Sprinter

.I like the look of it thats all that matters.Anyway I am going on this trip starting on November 13th.

Catching the ferry from North Shields England to Ijmuiden Holland then heading north and east to catch another ferry from Rostock Germany to Trelleborg Sweden.The furthest places on my journey will be Rovaniemi Kirkenes Vardo The North Cape Tromso Norway Jokkmokk and all points back south.This next link is to my approx route

https://dogslow.smugmug.com/ARCTIC-A...RE-NOVDEC2021/

As I said I leave Nov13th and get back home Dec 20th.What do I think of my Sprinter van........It has the 140hp engine and I have been getting about 580 miles to a tankful.It just wafts along effortlessly.I will post pictures on here and youtube video's.
Glandwr, patp, raynipper and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 28-09-2021, 12:38

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Great job Dog, must be very satisfying, enjoy your travels.

Terry

BREXIT built on deceit delivered by liars

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 28-09-2021, 15:30

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Yes I too hope that you enjoy the trip. You are obviously a "planner", I hope that the storms are kind and that the autumn colouring of the trees that the area is renowned for lasts until Nov for you. Have a good one and may the the van perform well.

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 28-09-2021, 19:37

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
You've done a fabulous job with the van dogslow. I like the way the loo hides under the bed.

Enjoy your trip n send pics!

Jean
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 28-09-2021, 23:00

My Motorhome: Adria Coral 690SP
Enjoy it all and yes please post any info and updates................it is a trip that we hope to do next year.

Peter and Carmel

Spooky travelled with us for 5 years and over 20,000 miles.He died aged 11 and is buried in Delphi in Greece.
Now that's a great age and a great adventure for a rabbit and I think he deserves a mention.

The best things in Life...........................are not Things !!

Life is really, really great ...........sometimes it's a bit sh*t............and then you die !!
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 28-09-2021, 23:24

I've only now had time to look at your itinerary - is that doable at that time of the year? Looks great!!

Jean
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 29-09-2021, 10:48 Thread Starter

Yes, IS it do able thats the question that only the weather Gods can predict.I have a little driving experience as in 40 years HGV Class 1 (retired).IN our country we have a very good motorway network that makes everywhere accessible year round.English councils please take note of Scottish councils in regard to clearing.
If you look at Sweden north to south. The northern part of Interior Sweden will get rammed with snow and Ice and it may be interesting to drive on those roads.When you look at the east coast of Sweden north to south thats where all the trucks run day and night north to south thats where the main populations live that road from Stockholm up to Ornskoldsvik Umea Lulea up to Ikea at Tornio at the Finnish border should be ok.Tornio up to the lovely city of Rovaniemi same thing trucks day and night keeping the roads open.For me the interesting part will begin north of Rovaniemi up to Kirkenes .Everything after that will be fingers crossed but again people live up there they have to go to the shops in the towns food has to be delivered even petrol and diesel .I will post alot of pictures have no fear.ON about pictures here are a few of a trip I did up there in 2013 in a Vauxhall Astra van it was early September it was beautiful, warm thru the day a little chilly overnight.

https://dogslow.smugmug.com/Other/No...Arctic-circle/
dghr272 likes this.
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 29-09-2021, 11:56 Thread Starter

Hiya,Webby1
costs up to now
North Shields to Ijmuiden return with DFDS booked through the caravan and motorhome club was about 60 cheaper than booking direct. 280
Rostock Germany to Trelleborg Sweden return with Stena Line was booked direct as only a couple of quid cheaper than a price comparison website..160

RAC euro recovery,I took the most expensive version which was about 150 that covers everything including parts labour up to 1000 I think.Hotels hire car Repatriation of the vehicle and me
.My van will probably use 8 tanks of diesel. for the trip.
Set of Snow Chains
Winter Tyres
Windscreen wash for -30 C.

Last edited by Dogslow; 29-09-2021 at 12:00.
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 29-09-2021, 17:49

You must be a young thing dogslow to undertake that trip in that vehicle! At least you had a comfy chair with you. You'll not know yourself with your new van - especially with all that insulation!

Jean
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 29-09-2021, 18:17 Thread Starter

Afternoon Jiwawa,
At this moment I am 65 years old ,time fly's by these days my knee's ache after a long walk I get tired more than I used to .I love travel ,and whilst I am still able I am going to travel far and wide and that Sprinter van is going to earn it's keep.
The Vauxhall Astravan trip was 2013.which seems like a lifetime ago.

Last edited by Dogslow; 29-09-2021 at 18:26.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page