Holland Germany Sweden Finland Norway and back - Page 6 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 82 (permalink) Old 24-11-2021, 13:01 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Mercedes Sprinter 314 cdi LWB
the bear may have been doing something else in the woods...........
Pudsey_Bear and marchie like this.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 82 (permalink) Old 24-11-2021, 13:26

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,085 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
post #53 of 82 (permalink) Old 24-11-2021, 14:48

My Motorhome: I drive...Burstner Ixeo 590 IT Time Sovereign
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudsey_Bear View Post
Have shovel will travel.

Like bear excrement off said shovel?

Steve
raynipper and Pudsey_Bear like this.

post #54 of 82 (permalink) Old 25-11-2021, 16:58 Thread Starter

Good afternoon ladies and Gents here is todays update.Yesterday I was in Inari Finland and 118 miles later today Lakselv Norway.How am I doing how is the van.
MY toilet cassette is indoors no access from the outside it is in the garage under the bed.........I hate to say it but it and its contents are frozen solid.(sorry for that) At one point today near the finland Norway border on my route it went to minus 30 deg C outside or minus 22 deg F it has warmed up now to minus 12 deg c. Even when driving I am wearing two layers of everything with woolly hat ...........what a site and woolly gloves.So the van it is insulated to within an inch of its life but it has weak points the footstep from the side loading door is very cold inside.The rear doors are insulated but I have also hung a continental Quilt around the rear doors to block out the ice which is on the inside of the rear doors in the garage area.On the move whilst driving the Mercedes cab heater is all but useless due to the wind chill chilling everything.Saying that I am now sat parked up just had a lovely lunch in a restaurant and back in the van.Wearing tee shirt and jeans and temp wise its like an English summer day inside the van.
MY cheap £90 chinese diesel heater is fantastic. It is a 5kw heater and it is very good.I can get used to the noise of the pump as long as it keeps throwing out the heat.If it stopped working I would head south immediately.It is run from a 15 ltd tank plumbed in and I also carry ten litres spare.However it did stop yesterday and there was a whiff of diesel insider so I pulled over and it had switched itself off.I tried to get it started three times it wasn't having it.When I installed the heater I routed the exhaust pipe straight thru and under the floor of the van .Well the exhaust had become blocked with Ice so basically it was choked.I have my portable electric drill with me so I drilled the ice out of the end of the exhaust pipe and fish bash bosh it fired up straight away..........Phew.I have cut my daily mileage down to about 120 miles now .Tyres Tyres.The tyres on my van are mud and SNOW tyres I must admit if I was up here in Jan Feb March or April I would go for a set of Friction tyres at the least.I have had to use my chains once but I can tell you chains do the job.I think I have another 136 miles to go to the North Cape and I am going to do that over the next two days.This cold knocks the stuff out of you or it does me. Catch ya later
terencepaul likes this.

Steve

Last edited by Dogslow; 25-11-2021 at 17:00.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogslow For This Useful Post:
Webby1 (26-11-2021)
post #55 of 82 (permalink) Old 25-11-2021, 17:03
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Cheers Steve

Keep safe (and warm).

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

post #56 of 82 (permalink) Old 25-11-2021, 17:08

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,085 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
post #57 of 82 (permalink) Old 25-11-2021, 17:10
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
I take my hat of to Steve for doing it at this time of year. Its a trip we would like to do but would do so in warmer months tbh.

I don't mind the cold but I fear it would finish Mrs GMJ off....

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

post #58 of 82 (permalink) Old 25-11-2021, 20:06

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
And me.

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #59 of 82 (permalink) Old 25-11-2021, 22:30

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Would adding alcohol to the poo help? Tho at the prices up that part of the world, that's maybe a step too far!

Get your clothes on n save diesel!!

Jean
post #60 of 82 (permalink) Old 29-11-2021, 19:37 Thread Starter

Still here,Inland seems to be a heck of alot colder than coastal.Before I left I put -30 deg c screen wash undiluted...........it dosnt work.When the wind is on the nose the mercedes dash heater is useless.I love my chinese diesel heater.The Sprinter hasn't missed a beat

The north cape was stunning and the weather was brutal.I stayed overnight I got the tee shirt I bought the cup.This is only late Nov I would presume it all goes downhill till maybe next April.Some days I only see maybe 4 cars and alot of reindeer.It took me two weeks to get to the top now I have three weeks to get back.
Camera,Drone Mobile phone batteries even when charged fully die very quickly.The sun hasn't risen above the horizon for days now It just tracks the horizon and then it gets dark again.The scenery and the people are wonderful.I have only paid for one night on a camp site up to now you seem to be able to park up most places as long as you are respectful.There are a lot of roadside services for free.Diesel is cheaper in Finland compared to Norway Sweden.Supermarket prices are ok.When I get home I will upload some drone footage talking of which my Husband Zino Drone lost signal and now is living on top of a frozen lake, next may living at the bottom of the lake (sorry about that as is my wallet).Driving standards here are very high seen as tho they do not seem to grit the road just leave them covered in ice....... BFN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-11-29 at 15.58.22.jpg (296.7 KB, 9 views)
Pudsey_Bear likes this.

Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dogslow For This Useful Post:
GMJ (30-11-2021), Webby1 (29-11-2021)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page