Northern Migration - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 12:59 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive... Hymer B550 Skyline
Shocking cost of using cash machine in Germany with a Spanish debit card. So much for EU unity. Four euros fifty cents per hundred at " free " cash points.
Fortunately we have been able to use card purchases for most things but there is always the case that it's cash only.
Since then we have discovered that Edeka supermarket give " cash back " after purchase of at least 10 euros ( possibly varies from place to place, and supermarket to supermarket ).
We have since checked to find out if any charges have been applied to these cashbacks, and found none. A nice money saver.
Some of you may have found similar cashback facilities in other markets and other EU countries.

If so..... please let everyone know.
Sorry if we are teaching everyone to suck eggs !
Bill and Dorli.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 13:28

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Not sure about Germany Bill but I found they always told you when they were going to charge a fee and I'd just take my card n go elsewhere. Always found fee-free.
dghr272 likes this.

Jean
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 14:36 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive... Hymer B550 Skyline
Hi, Jiwawa. The bank charging money for card use is my bank in Spain where the debit card was issued. That was a surprise.
A little more research online turned up a list of fourteen supermarkets giving cashback ( Bargeld abheben ) some with 10 euro minimum purchase, others 20 euros, and cashback varies between 100 and 200 euros maximum.

Very useful !
Bill

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 21:37

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Hi Bill, I don't think it is anything to do with Germany, we stopped using our debit card for cash some years ago when our English bank put a charge on it.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 07:53

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Yes Jan, we terminated our UK MBNA, Barclaycard and Nat West credit cards about 15 years ago when they all put the usage charge up to 2.95%. We have been with the Post Office CC ever since. Fee free.!!!
For cash we move a lump (small) over once a year via Currency Fair to our French bank at a good rate and no fees. Other than that my pension goes directly into the French bank to cover utilities.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of Ģ750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 08:35

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
We still have our pensions paid into Nationwide and send money to currency fair when the rate is as good as it gets then to our German bank.
We have a Nationwide credit card and they donīt charge when you shop, but do for cash withdrawals which we donīt need to do.
I made sure we had enough € for this year because who knows where the exchange rate will finish up. and not using the credit card while the rate is low.
raynipper likes this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page