South Downs Way - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 17-01-2011, 22:30 Thread Starter

South Downs Way

Anyone 'done' this long distance footpath? In particular by using a M/H and public transport?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-01-2011, 07:38

Yes I did the whole length from Winchester to Eastbourne during summer 2004. A very good walk with plenty of good scenery and passing through some pretty villages.

However, I did it as a organised walk where we were taken each day by bus to the start and taken home at the end of the end of each leg.

I have done the coast to coast however using my wife to take the MH to the end of each leg each day and I would walk to her. It takes a little planning but it certainly works.

Good luck with your walk it will be worth the effort and will be very rewarding.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-01-2011, 08:48

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
It may be difficult to do without somebody on hand to move the MH between sites, and get you to your starting / finishing points for each day. There is public transport but it's not exactly frequent . Sites I can think of are CC Morn Hill (winchester), CCC Graffham & Slindon, a few CL's around and about, CC Brighton, and fairfields farm near Pevensey

[/SIZE]
As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Bognor.

I don't feed trolls!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-01-2011, 10:31

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
The site at Washington here should probably be on your list. It is only about 15 minutes (walking) off the route of the South Downs Way and is at an intersection for buses going north, south, east and west. Also a good pub 5 minutes away. This link to West Sussex County Council gives you further information about the South Downs Way and buses.
patp likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-01-2011, 10:51

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro
The site at Washington here should probably be on your list. It is only about 15 minutes (walking) off the route of the South Downs Way and is at an intersection for buses going north, south, east and west. Also a good pub 5 minutes away. This link to West Sussex County Council gives you further information about the South Downs Way and buses.

That's an interesting one, peribro, didn't know it was there

I posted recently about a site at East Dean (near Goodwood, just off the SD way) - see

https://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopict-98844-.html

[/SIZE]
As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Bognor.

I don't feed trolls!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-01-2011, 10:55

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Personal Aire
I did it both ways on Sundays.

I used to drive to a starting point walk approximately 10 miles then 10 miles back to the car. Bit by bit i managed the full length and back!

By walking a predetermined distance and then scouting round for a parking place you get a bit of added value as you tend to find all sorts of little back waters.

If you are comfortable reading OS maps then there are many parking places and even campsites on or near the footpath. it takes a bit of planning, but a second driver would make it so easy.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 24-11-2013, 15:41

My Motorhome: Autocruise Rhythm
We have just completed the South Downs Way in nine days using the camper and various means of public transport and taxis. It was a really enjoyable walk and not difficult at all.
Our method was to always have the van at the end of our walking day, so it took a bit of doing some days getting from there to the start of our walk, but we managed it and would be delighted to share the experience with others if interested.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:26

Hi Navigator and others
We’ve just bought a camper and keen to do South Downs Way - only one driver so it will be van and public transport. We have a small lazy dog so preferably smaller sections and not much more than seven miles a day though with a bit of carrying we could probably manage ten at a stretch.
We’ll be doing weekends only rather than in one go but live Brighton so can do early starts.
Any tips very welcome!
Thank you!
Zoe
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 15:40

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Unfortunately that was navigator's last post, in 2013,so your unlikely to get an answer Zoe.

But welcome to the forum and it would ve interesting to hear how you get on.

Jean
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 22:19

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misszoe View Post
Hi Navigator and others
We€™️ve just bought a camper and keen to do South Downs Way - only one driver so it will be van and public transport. We have a small lazy dog so preferably smaller sections and not much more than seven miles a day though with a bit of carrying we could probably manage ten at a stretch.
We€™️ll be doing weekends only rather than in one go but live Brighton so can do early starts.
Any tips very welcome!
Thank you!
Zoe
We live not far from Brighton and walked it 7 or 8 years ago doing it in stages - ususlly about 10 miles but a couple of 13 mile stages. We have two dogs and the smaller one was about a year old at the time and we often carried her for the last couple of miles.

As you may be aware the suggested route is west to east - not only will you most likely have the wind behind you but the views in the last few miles heading towards Eastbourne are certainly worth seeing and are more dramatic than those at the Winchester end.

We used the motorhome and a car so didn't have to rely on public transport. I'm sure it can be done with public transport but you will have to plan your routes very carefully as there are some stretches with very little public transport in the vicinity. I suspect you may have to do some occassional long stretches, particularly on the western stages.

Enjoy it - we loved it!

Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page