Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Where are you going now allowed ?

8K views 113 replies 18 participants last post by  raynipper 
#1 · (Edited)
Title says it all.... now that you can go away in the MH and stay, where are you off to ?

Those of us not in the UK are still not able to use our MH due to lockdowns, but you lot are freeeee

So are you taking advantage and where are you going ? Or not...... ?

#2 ·
No MoHo, no Go Go.

#8 ·
First trip out this year and first for six months.

We went to the C&CC site at Salisbury from Friday to Sunday, clear blue skies and bright sunshine although the wind ranged from a light to a stiff breeze and from cooling to chilling us to our bones!

The site was quite full, the sanitary blocks were all shut up though. One thing I noticed, motorhomes were by far in the majority compared to caravans, I'd say the ratio was 75% motorhomes to 25% caravans, didn't see any tenters although you'd have to be pretty hardy to be tenting out of choice at the moment, it's still bloody cold at night.

#19 ·
First trip out this year and first for six months.

We went to the C&CC site at Salisbury from Friday to Sunday, clear blue skies and bright sunshine although the wind ranged from a light to a stiff breeze and from cooling to chilling us to our bones!

The site was quite full, the sanitary blocks were all shut up though. One thing I noticed, motorhomes were by far in the majority compared to caravans, I'd say the ratio was 75% motorhomes to 25% caravans, didn't see any tenters although you'd have to be pretty hardy to be tenting out of choice at the moment, it's still bloody cold at night.
I am so jealous! We should have been there at the same time. Son and family live in Salisbury so this site was chosen so we could see them. Our 'teething problems' with the Murvi we bought last September have continued though and the latest obstacle to using it is a clutch problem. Not sure yet when this will be sorted. Frustrated as well as jealous.

Chris

#9 ·
We have to wait another week or so before feeling able to go away after the second vaccination.

Then four or five days - if it's not School holidays - somewhere reasonably local in case we have any problems - leaking taps, heater faults, etc - and then go further in a couple of months - East coast possibly.

We still have a Eurotunnel ticket (voucher) to go to France but that's probably more likely next year the way Macron is performing with the French vaccine roll out.

Play it by ear and hope another 'wave' doesn't hit the Country.

The Wife bringing home supplies .....

Attachments

#10 ·
We have just come back from our first trip of the year (since December 16th actually). We went to Pembrey C&MC site for 4 nights and then Llwyngwair Manor site for 7 nights. It was just great to be away in the Mh again.

Other trips already booked for this year...

- Off to Pembrey again next Monday for 4 nights as we enjoyed it so much. Its less than an hour from home.

- Later in May: Cardiff and Cirencester for 14 nights

- June: Cheltenham, Cornwall and Devon for 26 nights

- Jul/Aug - North Wales for 24 nights

We haven't booked September yet however our plans are either the Italian lakes (Lake Iseo specifically) or the south of France, depending on the covid situation/travel rules at the time. The back up is a month long tour of Ireland, again rules dependent. Failing that it will either be East Anglia/Broads or Northumberland.

Hopefully we can get back to normal next year.

#11 ·
Last two nights on the Exeter Racecourse CMC site, only about 10-15% occupied.

Now at the CMC Hillhead site at Brixham, only 40 units present, really odd to see it so empty.

Reactions: terencepaul
#12 ·
Nice part of the country, the coastal pathway around Berry Head towards Dartmouth is brilliant with stunning views, if you venture into Dartmouth, go to the "Good Intent", one road inland from the Lower Ferry, but do not think about taking a MH across there - Dartmouth is not designed for anything larger than a Berlingo......

With the MH use the Higher ferry ONLY, easy parking on left as you leave ferry, park there and walk through town past boat pound towards Lower Ferry and what used to be the ONLY hospital - about the size of a small Doctor's surgery...... not sure it is still functioning.

Some great restaurants in that locality or as you drive out of Dartmouth towards Plymouth there is a nice pub on the right (forgotten the name) by a right angled left bend, good size car park.

Or, go round the coast towards Slapton, but check the road is open before venturing along as it is often closed due to storm action. The CMC Slapton site is good and there is great pub + beer garden near there (off the main road so a little walk from the site.). The WW2 tank on the beach used to begin the sea (casualty of disastrous practice for D-Day landings), worth a short visit - I helped pull it out of the sea into its present position. The boat in the background of these pictures is 'British Diver' at that time a boat owned by the British Sub Aqua Club of which I was SW Regional Coach when the tank was pulled out, Pete Bernardes, it's skipper is driving the inflatable below. My suit is drying at the front of 'British Diver'....... I was probably below eating after a very long day that started the evening before !

https://exercisetigermemorial.co.uk/ken-small

One of my memories, Ken Small was a really enthusiastic owner and leader of the Project, although very frustrated by the repeated weather delays.....

#13 ·
I have probably mentioned before Dave I got Ken Small to autograph his book to me in the car park at Slapton. Still got it "The Forgotten Dead".

Ray.

Reactions: Penquin
#15 ·
Went up to Penrith for 2 nights on 16/4. First time away without our 2 daughters, seemed very strange but unfortunately for them they both had work at the local Co-oP.
Going back again this coming weekend for 3 nights and again the girls have to work 😂🤣😂

#16 ·
Thanks Penquin

We are regular visitors to Hillhead so know the area well. Due to Covid the higher ferry to Dartmouth are only taking contactless payments, and as the pedestrian fare is 70p they are not collecting it at present. So pedestrians go free.

We parked at Kingswear Marina, walk up alongside the railway line to the higher ferry. Crossed over and Had a couple of pints at the Floating Bridge pub on the Dartmouth side. First since last summer, sooooo nice to sit in the sunshine and put the world to rights with my mate who is also staying at Hillhead. The women went off to the Dart Marina Hotel next door for some wine !

Reactions: Tony Maris
#23 ·
Well, we've just got back from a long weekend away (4 nights), at the C&CC Chichester (Southbourne) site. We had a good weekend.

The site was about 85% full on Friday evening, 2/3rds MH/Campervans the remainder caravans. As the sanitation blocks are closed "own san ess" is required, I think this may be putting some folks off.

#25 ·
Me too Jean, certainly the last week of the school Easter hols that was the case.

There's certainly been a lot of MH activity on the roads so I was expecting the site to be fuller.

Speaking to a colleague who's a tenter, he's not bothered looking at anywhere until after the next round of Covid restrictions are lifted on the 17th May (which is when, I believe the major clubs will be opening up their toilet/shower blocks).

#27 · (Edited)
We are just back from our second trip so far this year. We had 4 nights at Pembrey C+MC site where the facilities are closed. It hasn't been an issue to us really. Prior to the current situation I used to use on-site facilities, preferring to keep the on board ones for my wife to use. Also unless you have a fully serviced pitch, it meant more work for me filling up with water and emptying the grey. We had a fully service pitch at Pembrey so no worries there.

Oh, it also means emptying the toilet cassette daily as well as opposed to every other day, in normal times.

All we have done is adjust our daily routine really. The heating and water come on at 'early o'clock' on the timer so we have it piping hot by 8am. i then take first shower and brush my teeth etc. Mrs GMJ then gets up and has a coffee and breakfast by which time the water has heated up for her shower.

It hasn't thrown us out at all really. Prior to these 2 trips I had only used the shower once I think but I have been impressed thus far. We have a good sized cubicle plus the pressure is good and the water red hot.

We had a lovely trip away. the weather was foul on Monday when we left home to get to site and didn't relent all day. The next 3 days were cold but mainly rain free so we managed to get out on our ebikes all 3 days. As I had forgotten to pack the battery chargers I had to use mine in manual mode so as to save the battery for Mrs GMJ's use. Tbh it worked out fine as it is mostly flat in the country park and on the Millennium Coast path.

Anyway, our next trip away is next Friday. we are off to Cardiff for 3 nights and then Cirencester for 11.

#28 ·
Does anyone know when sites in France will open or are they already ? Obviously this is particularly aimed at those other members living in France....... but who knows, someone may have heard/read it somewhere..... I haven’t...

#29 · (Edited)
Reactions: Penquin
#30 ·
Glad you both had a good time G.

#31 ·
Tuesday 4th May (Star Wars Day) was our eldest daughter's 42 (answer to everything: HitchHikers Guide) birthday so we set off for the north Norfolk coast. :smile2:
We got to the next village (1 mile) when the van filled with acrid fumes and I managed to find somewhere to safely turn round and head back home. :frown2:

I think the blower motor has seized up so we could still use the MH and hope that the windscreen will not need demisting but that is unlikely, so we are here until that can get sorted.

Gordon

[She was born on the morning Maggie T came to power: I'd sat up all night watching the results pour in and getting more and more depressed. Thank goodness I have some good memories of that day. :wink2: ]

#33 ·
Just got back from 3 nights at Pyesmead Farm, a CL on the Hampshire/Wiltshire border on the edge of the New Forest in a village called Plaitford.

Thoroughly chilled time although the weather yesterday was a bit glum yesterday but we made the best of it. Takeaway food available from the Shoe Inn in Plaitford which was very reasonable and delicious.

#34 ·
We are off on our 3rd trip away this year next Friday...hot on the heels of last week's. We are going to Cardiff for 3 nights and then Cirencester for 11. We get to Ciren on the day that the facilities will be open again.

Mainly seeing family and friends but we are also away for our wedding anniversary so will hopefully have lunch at the place where we were married.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.