Where are you going now allowed ? - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-05-2021, 18:41

My Motorhome: Bailey Autograph 79-4i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
[/B][/B]

Have you never even tried wildcamping? I did it all over the UK for a couple of years - there are several counties which publish available CP for MHs, but generaly I just pulled up on a verge, away from houses and gateways.

What is the problem?

Geoff

Speaking as ex what are now called expeditionary forces, I'm firmly of the view that there's no such thing as wild camping in a motorhome (or a caravan or tent for that matter)! Bivvying, that's wild camping but camping off grid in a motorhome isn't wild.

Me and my colleagues (who are ex RAF Support Helicopter, Fleet Air Arm Junglies or Army and used to bivvying), were discussing how people refer to off grid camping as wild camping, the conversation went roughly like this:

One of the team mentioned somebody had been parked up in a verge near them in a motorhome for a couple of days...

Me: "Some motorhhomers call that wild camping".

After much guffawing and scoffing (which went on for a long time), the conversation carried on like this...

"But you're in a motorhome, you're not freezing your knackers off, getting wet, getting trampled by the local wildlife and you don't have to dig a scrape to have a poo!"

"I know" I replied,

"What's so wild about that"? they asked,

"You don't have lecky or water" I replied, matter of factly,

"We refer you to our earlier comment, you're not freezing your knackers off, getting wet, getting trampled by the local wildlife and you don't have to dig a scrape to have a poo!" they replied,

"I know" I replied,

"So there's nothing actually wild about it" they pressed,

"Not really" I replied,

"All of those times you had to bivvy out on Salisbury Plain or Stamford or Otterburn you would have killed to be tucked up nice and warm in a motorhome wouldn't you"? they asked,

"Absolutely" I replied,

"And you wouldn't have called that wild would you"?

"Nope"! I replied,

"So what do you call the type of camping this bloke (referring to the motorhomer parked up in the verge), was doing wild camping would you"? they asked,

"No, at best, it's off grid camping" I replied.

Some still scoffed at that but we moved on to something else after that.

But like them, I'm ideologically opposed to calling off grid camping wild camping. I suppose the only wild bit is getting rid of your black waste but it's still not the same as digging a scrape is it?

I guess it's all about perspective really. I must say I don't miss the taste of hexamine in my food either.

Apart from that, the wonderful MrsWez is against the idea and wouldn't settle and if she's not a happy camper, I won't be (she's all right with aires and FP, taking the view that you're meant to be there).

Follow our motorhome travels on http://21stcenturybobbylog.wordpress.com

Last edited by MrWez; 11-05-2021 at 19:20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-05-2021, 19:01

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
OK it's not really 'wild' camping but more like 'sensible' camping. Or as one RV manufacturer put on the spare wheel cover "Roughing it Smoothly"

Ray.
MrWez likes this.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #43 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-05-2021, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
OK it's not really 'wild' camping but more like 'sensible' camping. Or as one RV manufacturer put on the spare wheel cover "Roughing it Smoothly"

Ray.

I think that's a good way of describing it Ray
raynipper likes this.

post #44 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-05-2021, 21:21

My Motorhome: Adria Coral Compact
Personal Aire
@MrWez
Of course its not wild camping, but certainly off grid. And I for myself, of a certain age, can't be bothered anymore lying under a wet tarp, clammy sleeping bag while trying to make a fire in the rain. Nah, as Ray said, roughing it smoothly it is for us. Still a lot of fun to be had making the right choice on where to pull over for the night. Right along the Silver Sands at Morar or Loch Earn where they give you 3 nights in a laybay right by the Lochside.

"You can't polish a tu*d but you can roll it in glitter"
post #45 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-05-2021, 21:22

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,102 Times in 1,039 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWez View Post
Speaking as ex what are now called expeditionary forces, I'm firmly of the view that there's no such thing as wild camping in a motorhome (or a caravan or tent for that matter)! Bivvying, that's wild camping but camping off grid in a motorhome isn't wild.

Me and my colleagues (who are ex RAF Support Helicopter, Fleet Air Arm Junglies or Army and used to bivvying), were discussing how people refer to off grid camping as wild camping, the conversation went roughly like this:

One of the team mentioned somebody had been parked up in a verge near them in a motorhome for a couple of days...

Me: "Some motorhhomers call that wild camping".

After much guffawing and scoffing (which went on for a long time), the conversation carried on like this...

"But you're in a motorhome, you're not freezing your knackers off, getting wet, getting trampled by the local wildlife and you don't have to dig a scrape to have a poo!"

"I know" I replied,

"What's so wild about that"? they asked,

"You don't have lecky or water" I replied, matter of factly,

"We refer you to our earlier comment, you're not freezing your knackers off, getting wet, getting trampled by the local wildlife and you don't have to dig a scrape to have a poo!" they replied,

"I know" I replied,

"So there's nothing actually wild about it" they pressed,

"Not really" I replied,

"All of those times you had to bivvy out on Salisbury Plain or Stamford or Otterburn you would have killed to be tucked up nice and warm in a motorhome wouldn't you"? they asked,

"Absolutely" I replied,

"And you wouldn't have called that wild would you"?

"Nope"! I replied,

"So what do you call the type of camping this bloke (referring to the motorhomer parked up in the verge), was doing wild camping would you"? they asked,

"No, at best, it's off grid camping" I replied.

Some still scoffed at that but we moved on to something else after that.

But like them, I'm ideologically opposed to calling off grid camping wild camping. I suppose the only wild bit is getting rid of your black waste but it's still not the same as digging a scrape is it?

I guess it's all about perspective really. I must say I don't miss the taste of hexamine in my food either.

Apart from that, the wonderful MrsWez is against the idea and wouldn't settle and if she's not a happy camper, I won't be (she's all right with aires and FP, taking the view that you're meant to be there).
So why do you have a motorhome then?
post #46 of 113 (permalink) Old 11-05-2021, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudsey_Bear View Post
So why do you have a motorhome then?

Precisely because I used to have to bivvy for a living - not out of choice!

post #47 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-05-2021, 06:36
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
MrWez

There's a good forum for off grid camping which might be worth your while joining.

You won't like the name though as its called wildcamping.co.uk

If you join you will have access to 000's of off grid camping spots via an interactive map and app.

PS Loving the avatar of Roobarb. I went to school with a lad who got the nickname Custard as some of us thought he looked like the purple cat! A bit unfortunate especially when he joined the Police after school and we'd see hi out on the beat! Difficult to impose order when regaled with: "Alright Cust, how are you?"

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

The Following User Says Thank You to GMJ For This Useful Post:
MrWez (12-05-2021)
post #48 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-05-2021, 09:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJ View Post
MrWez

There's a good forum for off grid camping which might be worth your while joining.

You won't like the name though as its called wildcamping.co.uk

If you join you will have access to 000's of off grid camping spots via an interactive map and app.

PS Loving the avatar of Roobarb. I went to school with a lad who got the nickname Custard as some of us thought he looked like the purple cat! A bit unfortunate especially when he joined the Police after school and we'd see hi out on the beat! Difficult to impose order when regaled with: "Alright Cust, how are you?"

Thanks for that, you're right, I don't like the name but it is what it is. I'll take a look. I don't really see how so-called wild camping is much different from turning up at a rally and being without EHU etc.

Love the Custard tale, reminds me of when I was in the RAF and one of the lads took a commission, when he turned up at our unit some years later he'd given himself a more officer like name, needless to say we all remembered his nickname. As you say, difficult to maintain authority when people are calling you by your old nickname.
GMJ likes this.

post #49 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-05-2021, 09:15
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
I think the thrust of the site is mainly for single units to wildcamp/off grid rather than rallies. It's a great resource tbf and I think it would suit you. There's an active, friendly forum as well.

Whilst I don't go off grid myself, I have updated the stopping places around where I live for any folks who like wilding (sorry...off gridding!)

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

post #50 of 113 (permalink) Old 12-05-2021, 09:18

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,102 Times in 1,039 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
For us we consider wilding to be off the beaten track. We have never stayed on a campsite since we started in a tent 16 years ago.
GMJ likes this.

Last edited by Pudsey_Bear; 12-05-2021 at 10:16.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pudsey_Bear For This Useful Post:
kabundi (12-05-2021)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page