Concessionary Bus Passes ( Over 60's) use in London - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 2 Post By mike800966

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 12:26 Thread Starter

Concessionary Bus Passes ( Over 60's) use in London

"You should show your pass to the driver; at the moment they can't be read by the yellow card readers. If the bus you're on doesn't display the red roundel, check with the driver if you can use it; most will let you travel free between 09:30 and 23:00 on weekdays, and at any time on weekends and public holidays."

I see from other postings that my Gloucestershire OAP pass can't be used in Scotland but can someone please reassure me that it can be used for ordinary, red, bus routes in London.
The TFL website says that "most drivers will"??? but since I gather all TFL buses are cashless, it could be very embarrasing.

Mike & Ann
PS Now in Glorious Gloucestershire but I was born in Tottenham N15. My, how its changed!

Last edited by mike800966; 05-03-2017 at 12:30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 12:29

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 12:33 Thread Starter

Gloucestershire Bus pass in London

Thanks for that Peter, I was concerned that the relevant bit is right at the bottom of the site and it didnt seem categoric, there must be plenty of Londoners on here who can give a clear answer from experience

Thanks again

Mike

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 16:09

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike800966 View Post
Thanks for that Peter, I was concerned that the relevant bit is right at the bottom of the site and it didnt seem categoric, there must be plenty of Londoners on here who can give a clear answer from experience

Thanks again

Mike
Mike

The bit about drivers allowing is only if there is no Roundel

" If the bus you're on doesn't display the red roundel, check with the driver if you can use it; most will let you travel free between 09:30 and 23:00 on weekdays, and at any time on weekends and public holidays."

I think this is to cover such as 'Greenline' services running out to say Guildford, which may not even be licensed by Tfl. So maybe the driver will let you use it for a journey within London, but not to go to Guildford, for example.

As a holder of a London Freedom Pass I can assure you that you can use your pass on any Red bus, which all have 'Roundels' on.

Of course the London Freedom Pass is much more useful as it covers Tube and Overground Rail, which are much quicker than buses, he says smuggly Going from Luton Airport to Gatwick(Thameslink direct) I only have to pay for the bits that are outside the Pass area. Fortunately mine is valid for another 3 years.

Geoff
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholsong For This Useful Post:
mike800966 (05-03-2017)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 20:57

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Just so it doesn't raise hopes in Cymru. This doesn't apply to us. But we I suppose can console ourselves with the fact that we are not English

Dick
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 21:36 Thread Starter

I just thought that every red bus would have the rondels on, I had forgotten about Green Line

Thanks for the categoric answer, I had visions of arguing with a bus driver and holding up all the locals that had oyster cards
We only want to go about 8 miles on one bus, a lot cheaper than the train

Mike & Ann
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 21:59

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
What's a "BUS PASS"?

What's a "BUS"?

Both such things are totally unknown here........

and no, we can't get one in the UK either....... we have to PAY to use TFL vehicles with "Oyster" cards or credit cards or similar........

Dave

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 22:43

My Motorhome: 2013 Hymer 680 MB
Remember when one of our 'famous' ex members practically jumped with glee when he got one. He wasted god knows how much taxpayers money buggering off to see how far he could get before turning round and coming back home.

Suddenly remembered twas sallytrafic

WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion

Academia and government artificially select for particular traits, among which is a lack of life experience. This is why it's possible for a person to be exceptionally bright while failing to grasp something as rudimentary as supply and demand.

Intellectuals: All engine, no map.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page