Sites close to towns/villages/attractions - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 19:00 Thread Starter

Sites close to towns/villages/attractions

There are only a few sites which can truly be regarded as good motorhome sites. I find the majority of sites are often in the middle of nowhere, more suited for caravanners. Even if you read the blurb you can't always identify the ones which are local to any life.
I would love to hear your suggestions for sites or stopovers which are close enough for walking or safely cycling to somewhere of interest. Or even with a regular bus service close by.
I know we have wheels and can move offsite, but its nice not having to.
Here are my suggestions for starters
York - Rowntree Park
Bristol - Baltic wharf
Warwick Racecourse
Thirsk racecourse
Castleton - Peak district
Chatsworth - Peak district
Moreton in Marsh - Cotswolds
Broadway - Cotswolds
Hawes - North Yorks
Bridlington - East Yorks
Ferry Meadows - Peterborough
Sutton on Sea - Lincolnshire
Burrs Country Park - Bury
Market Rasen Racecourse
Hebden Bridge - Yorkshire
Bladon Chains - Oxon, good for Woodstock
All the above are caravan club sites (sorry, I know they might not suit all of you)
Cleethorpes showground - Lincolnshire
ChrisandJohn and ChrisandJohn like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Handysue For This Useful Post:
andrewball1000 (25-10-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 19:27

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Berwick on Tweed CC
Salisbury C&CC
Oxford C&CC
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 19:28

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
ok, so you've listed some CC sites, how about a few CCC sites:-
Devizes
Oxford
Canterbury
Moreton
Chichester

and for walking
Graffham
Slindon

also for walking / cycling, any of the Forest Holidays sites in the New Forest

and also in London with good public transport , CC sites at Abbey Wood & Crystal Palace

I get your drift about some sites only being suitable for tuggers, but there are loads out there that are suited for motorhomes, it may need a bit of research from google maps & public transport.

[/SIZE]
As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Bognor.

I don't feed trolls!

Last edited by bognormike; 24-10-2016 at 19:34.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 19:34

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
thanks Ray, forgot Salisbury!

[/SIZE]
As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Bognor.

I don't feed trolls!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 19:39 Thread Starter

[

"I get your drift about some sites only being suitable for tuggers, but there are loads out there that are suited for motorhomes, it may need a bit of research from google maps & public transport."

When researching where to go I spend hours on google maps satellite view, and you still can't always see if there are any footpaths.
Nothing better than personal recommendation, thank you
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 20:11

Grange CC site at Durham is very convenient for Jct.62 A1 Motorway and is only a few minutes walk away from a Park & Ride station.

You can cycle in to the city quite easily, but unless you're cycle fit, it's a hard and steep cycle back to the site.

Ken.

2005 Bailey Senator Wyoming - 2009 Bessacarr E769 - 2012 Swift Bolero 712SB - 2017 Auto-Sleeper Kingham (On Order)
The Following User Says Thank You to Blizzard For This Useful Post:
Handysue (24-10-2016)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 20:16

Keswick C&CC Derwentwater sites are popular and can get very busy, but ideally positioned on the shore for lake activities, close to several fell walks, mountain bike tracks and about 10 minutes gentle walk to the town centre cafes, shops and pubs !

Ken.

Ps. The site sits at the north of Derwentwater, just behind my dog's head in my avatar, taken on top of Catbells.

2005 Bailey Senator Wyoming - 2009 Bessacarr E769 - 2012 Swift Bolero 712SB - 2017 Auto-Sleeper Kingham (On Order)

Last edited by Blizzard; 24-10-2016 at 20:18. Reason: To add Ps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blizzard For This Useful Post:
Handysue (24-10-2016)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 20:33

My Motorhome: Swift KonTiki 669
Personal Aire
White House in Builth Wells is right on the edge of town (5 minute level walk) and the river Wye, sadly it closes for the season at the end of September
Brecon caravan club site is about a mile walk along a pleasant canal path into town
Station campsite in Carrog is right next door to the Llangollen steam railway station so you can jump onto the steam train in the morning, spend the day in lovely Llangollen and get the last train back - campsite facilities are basic but pitch prices are good
Norden Farm just outside Corfe Castle is a lovely site with a bus stop right outside, buses to Poole etc. You can also get the steam train about half a mile up the road and will take you into Swanage
Cardiff Caravan site is right in the middle of the city bordering Bute park, Pricey at around 28 a night but given the location...

Before you criticise someone walk a mile in their shoes, that way you are a mile away and have their shoes too
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 20:48 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaytutt View Post
White House in Builth Wells is right on the edge of town (5 minute level walk) and the river Wye, sadly it closes for the season at the end of September
Brecon caravan club site is about a mile walk along a pleasant canal path into town
Station campsite in Carrog is right next door to the Llangollen steam railway station so you can jump onto the steam train in the morning, spend the day in lovely Llangollen and get the last train back - campsite facilities are basic but pitch prices are good
Norden Farm just outside Corfe Castle is a lovely site with a bus stop right outside, buses to Poole etc. You can also get the steam train about half a mile up the road and will take you into Swanage
Cardiff Caravan site is right in the middle of the city bordering Bute park, Pricey at around 28 a night but given the location...
They all sound wonderful, we have never been to Wales. I am sure this info will even make hubby want to go there.
Kaytutt and Kaytutt like this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 21:25

My Motorhome: Autotrail Chieftain SE (2006)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
Grange CC site at Durham is very convenient for Jct.62 A1 Motorway and is only a few minutes walk away from a Park & Ride station.

You can cycle in to the city quite easily, but unless you're cycle fit, it's a hard and steep cycle back to the site.

Ken.
If you can find your way down to the river, it's a lovely riverside walk into the city. The wardens should be able to direct you if you don't have a map. I stayed in January and the riverside walk brought back memories of my childhood as a boarder in Durham when the duty master would take us out for walks at the weekend to burn off some energy! I travelled into the city most days using the P & R although it doesn't run on Sundays. The other issue (not a big one!) was that my Welsh bus pass was not accepted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harrers For This Useful Post:
Handysue (26-10-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page