Motorhome ban Colwyn Bay - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-08-2016, 11:16 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-08-2016, 12:36

Complaint submitted and I suggested that they look at the Hawick scheme and do something positive for motorhomes instead of driving them away.
http://hawickwelcome.org.uk/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stanner For This Useful Post:
nicholsong (24-08-2016), zeath (24-08-2016)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 24-08-2016, 13:53

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
PROVIDING there is an "On street parking regulation order" in place then any local authority can place any restrictions they deem fit on any section of public highway.

As has been said before its probably the inconsiderate few (did I say travellers? no I didn't think I did) spoiling it for everyone.

I dont know the area BUT if I lived on that section of road I suspect that I would get a bit cheesed off if people kept treating like a free campsite/unofficial Aire.

The restriction is clearly worded to prevent parking ONLY overnight, which, if you look at it dispassionately, isnt really that unreasonable is it???

I see that they seem to have learned from other Councils and have worded the restriction to specifically cover motorhome type VEHICLES that have sleeping facilities, rather than preventing "overnight sleeping" which would be impossible to prove, a subtle but important difference.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 24-08-2016, 14:29

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
PROVIDING there is an "On street parking regulation order" in place then any local authority can place any restrictions they deem fit on any section of public highway.

As has been said before its probably the inconsiderate few (did I say travellers? no I didn't think I did) spoiling it for everyone.

I dont know the area BUT if I lived on that section of road I suspect that I would get a bit cheesed off if people kept treating like a free campsite/unofficial Aire.

The restriction is clearly worded to prevent parking ONLY overnight, which, if you look at it dispassionately, isnt really that unreasonable is it???

I see that they seem to have learned from other Councils and have worded the restriction to specifically cover motorhome type VEHICLES that have sleeping facilities, rather than preventing "overnight sleeping" which would be impossible to prove, a subtle but important difference.

Andy
Andy

I do not agree with that view; as has been pointed out elsewhere about other parking restrictions, the Residents are probably asleep during those hours and do not have their view restricted, since it is mostly dark.

If there are other isuues like litter and noise these should be dealt with under different laws than restricting parking for a certain class of vehicle.

I would also be very angry if the Borough Council where I own a terrace house in London introduced such a restriction which prevented me from parking my vehicle, which is equipped for sleeping even if not sleeping in it, in my own street.

What if a resident of the streets concerned in Colwyn Bay owns a motor caravan or caravan? Would they be fined for parking outside their own house just because it has beds - ridiculous!

Geoff

Geoff
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholsong For This Useful Post:
zeath (24-08-2016)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 25-09-2016, 22:38

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabby View Post
So one still has the availability to park all day there.I expect it has been spoilt by the few wild campers who do not keep the area clean etc.

cabby
We were there this year for a short time. There was an RV that obviously was living by the bridge. The vehicle looked very permanent !

Rollerteam Autoroller 700, Ford Transit 140 T350
Mertie Moto

My Travels https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...M.kY_dTDvKO74w
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 26-09-2016, 16:55

My Motorhome: Gone now, flogged it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbosps View Post
There was an RV that obviously was living by the bridge. The vehicle looked very permanent !
If Councils are concerned (quite rightly) about this why don't they simply apply time limits, e.g. "Parking limited to 24 hours maximum & no return within 7 days". This should satisfy both wilders & residents.
Maybe time to get Andy Strangelove on the case, but perhaps too far out of his area. He does seem able to ensure that Councils follow the correct legal procedure when tackling this issue.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 26-09-2016, 22:59

My Motorhome: Swift KonTiki 669
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Andy

I do not agree with that view; as has been pointed out elsewhere about other parking restrictions, the Residents are probably asleep during those hours and do not have their view restricted, since it is mostly dark.

If there are other isuues like litter and noise these should be dealt with under different laws than restricting parking for a certain class of vehicle.

I would also be very angry if the Borough Council where I own a terrace house in London introduced such a restriction which prevented me from parking my vehicle, which is equipped for sleeping even if not sleeping in it, in my own street.

What if a resident of the streets concerned in Colwyn Bay owns a motor caravan or caravan? Would they be fined for parking outside their own house just because it has beds - ridiculous!

Geoff

Geoff
There are no houses on the stretch referred to, it's a coastal road between the beach and a railway line

Before you criticise someone walk a mile in their shoes, that way you are a mile away and have their shoes too
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 28-09-2016, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post

Andy
Are you saying that a council can make an order on a whim and without reference to some mischief that needs to be addressed. If the mischief is that of despoiling the environment then why are not prosecutions taken under litter/pollution/nuisance regulations.
The parking of a vehicle where vehicles are permitted to park cannot be an offence, what happens within a vehicle is a private matter provided it does not create a nuisance or offence external to the vehicle.

We, as motorhome users are entitled to the enjoyment of our property in the manner for which it is designed, provided we do not interfere with the right of others to enjoy their property.
siggie and siggie like this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 28-09-2016, 22:54

In my exchange with the Council I asked them to provide details of the specific legislation that allows vehicles of a particular body type to be legislated against.

I have not received any reply as yet, so I may need to remind them of my question later in the week.
Jean-Luc and Jean-Luc like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page